Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lighting opinion

I`m in the process of doing some work to my garage and have a few more lights to put up. Here`s a pic of one of the walls for reference:

I want some additional general lighting on the sides of the vehicles and my original idea was put a couple of 4` shop lights (I already have some more of those) on the walls towards the floor. Do you guys think that would be good, or would I be better off mounting the lights up farther towards the ceiling with them sort of angled towards the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lighting opinion

I have no experience but I suggest mounting higher and angling down so you don`t loose valuable storage space. A higher mount should also give added safety. No one will lean on the bulbs.

However, I am Not sure which location is more effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m leaving that wall relatively clear of any storage either way. I want it to look clean and when I park my truck in the garage I have to put it close to that wall so we can fit both vehicles in

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather had lights mounted at face level (about 4.5`-5`), at a 45* downward angle on the sides of his garage walls (he painted the occasional car in there). Back before I knew anything, I always found those lights extremely helpful when cleaning or waxing a car. And if you paint (or somehow otherwise) make the floor white, those lights will reflect up on to the rocker panel area of the car really nice.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

What type of lights? I have fluorescents on the walls, just high enough that I won`t bump them with anything or get them (too) wet all the time. No good for spotting marring, but good for general illumination.

Post Thanks / Like

They`re just regular twin tube fluorescent 4ft. Shop lights with covers. General illumination is the goal. I`ve got a l.e.d. stand light that I correct with

Post Thanks / Like

If you can tolerate the look I would say waist to chest high would illuminate the bottom of the car and wheels very well and wont be right in your face as you walk around.

Post Thanks / Like

Waist high is about what I was thinking

Post Thanks / Like

I`d worry about waist/chest high not being high enough to avoid getting them wet. Mine are higher than that and they illuminate things just fine, never wished they were lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally with the white walls reflecting light, I think lights on the ceiling flood the garage with plenty of light. I wouldn`t put any lights on the walls. As you mention for special cases and correction you have the stand lights.

Post Thanks / Like

MiVor- My 55yo eyes need all the illumination they can get Wasn`t such a requirement back when I built my shop, but I`m sure glad I overkilled it and actually wish I`d *really* gone overboard.

I find I use the ones on the walls (by themselves) quite a bit, sorta surprises me that they`re the ones I flick on when I`m just in there for a short time doing something minor. Sorta gradually started doing that over the last 15 years. Never woulda thunk it, but that`s what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I know I need more light down the sides already and the less I have to drag a stand light around for general illumination the better. Also, the bottom 1/3rd of the walls will be a darker color. All the white thats there now is just primer

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only doing exterior, then side lighting is good. But, if you are also doing interior then the side lighting will get in your eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    If you are only doing exterior, then side lighting is good. But, if you are also doing interior then the side lighting will get in your eyes.
    Maybe that last part is dependent on lots of factors; not a problem for me in my shop. It *would* be a drag to have a setup that turned out to have issues (after the money`s all spent).

Post Thanks / Like

Side lights will be on their own switch so they can be turned on/off as needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information