Post Thanks / Like

Early graduation present for my nephew

After school today, my 18 y/o nephew is going to be dropping his car, a red (of course) 1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT and leaving it until Sunday. It`s from somewhere in the south, so there`s no rust, but it has all the scratches and swirls you would expect in a 20 year old car as well as clear coat fading (not cc damage, just kind of opaque, & dull - a severe lack of shine). I`ve already done my test spot when he brought it over to show me the other day and it`s going to be Ultimate Compound & a cutting pad for correction based on the fact that while Ult Polish DID bring back the gloss and clarity to the clear, but it couldn`t handle the scratches without working a single area for a long time, which would turn this detail into a polishing event that lasted all three days. I baggie tested the car and while the top surfaces are fine, the lower half (behind the tires) and the rear end of the car are atrocious.

This is going to be a full-exterior, with a minor on the interior (unless I can get away with sneaking a bit of shampooing in ... I had the in-law`s car the other day and told the wife that it was too badly stained(the RESOLVE cleaner she gave me to use didn`t do squat, so she let me off). The headlights are starting to oxidize and I`ve been reading up on and watching videos regarding headlight repair and I`m pretty sure that it`s within the realm of my abilities. So if I get a chance, I`ll be doing a headlight correction too.

When I told him that this was going to be a graduation present to him, he initially refused!! After I told him what I was planning on doing, he told me that it was too much work to be given away for free (what an awesome kid) so I finally talked him into a trade ... I do his car and he does some hours of yard/house work for the wife (she is in a wheelchair and can`t do this stuff herself) ... did I mention this is a great kid? He`s heavily involved in the church, he has gone on several mission trips , has worked for Habitat For Humanity and is usually busy helping someone in his `off time.` So you can see why I`m intending on putting forth so much effort into his car.

I am going to TRY REALLY HARD to get a camera for documentation (and bragging) purposes, but there are no guarantees. I`m at least going to try and get some afters.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Ronkh, RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early graduation present for my nephew

Awesome! You`re not going to take this opportunity to give your nephew a detailing lesson? At least put him on the camera search.

And sorry to hear about your wife, I don`t remember you mentioning that before--good negotiating though about the yardwork exchange!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Awesome! You`re not going to take this opportunity to give your nephew a detailing lesson? At least put him on the camera search.

And sorry to hear about your wife, I don`t remember you mentioning that before--good negotiating though about the yardwork exchange!

I`m going to try and get my brother`s (his dad`s) camera. Travis isn`t "in to" cars so much at this point, he had the idea planted in his mind for me to detail it by my parents. I honestly think he`s rather be out doing something "worthwhile." I AM going to give him some pointers on upkeep though when I give it back to him.

Thanks about the wife, she has been in a chair now for several years, even though the surgeon said he "fixed" the problem, and no one can find anything "mechanically" wrong with her. She can get around the house with a cane or walker, but if we leave, it`s the chair. She can`t stand upright for more than a few minutes so house work is out and she can`t sit down and bend forward too well, so there goes her gardening hobby. We manage though even when it gets rough.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to the boy! He sounds like a caring kid. (unusual these days)

I`m sorry about your wife, but it seems like she is making the best of a tough situation. Hope it gets better.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

There`s no braggin rights w/o photos cause w/o pics, it never happened!

Glad to hear that your nephew is a good kid...so many are selfish lil chits these days!

Sorry about the Mrs. amd I hope you both continue to deal with it okay.

Thread Information