Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About to start paint correction - need some help

HD Polish shouldn`t be dusting on you (at least very little if any). Might be using too much. How many drops were you using at a time? Should be using 4 or 5 on a fresh pad the first section and then 3 or 4 for each section after that. I also clean my pad out between sections (I use a pad brush, you can also use a terry towel).

Post Thanks / Like

Also when you`re starting out, try focusing on one small section to get your technique perfected so you know what it`s going to take before doing whole panels at a time (save you some time)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    HD Polish shouldn`t be dusting on you (at least very little if any). Might be using too much. How many drops were you using at a time? Should be using 4 or 5 on a fresh pad the first section and then 3 or 4 for each section after that. I also clean my pad out between sections (I use a pad brush, you can also use a terry towel).
    I used about 6 pea sized drops to prime the pad and then used 4 drops after that. I actually did not clean the pads. I tried to jam the foam Buff n Shine pads against the terry towel but it didn`t seem to help much. I tried this method with speed 5 and with speed 1 - same result. Very little used product was removed from the foam pad. I might have to try the pad brush.

Also when you`re starting out, try focusing on one small section to get your technique perfected so you know what it`s going to take before doing whole panels at a time (save you some time)

I tried to limit myself to a small section of the hood but then got carried away. I did a section and then went out in sunlight to see the results - that was kind of annoying. So I rushed a few times there.

Thank you House of Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the pad brush to be quicker and easier than a towel. try going down to 3 dots instead of 4 as well

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like that you may not be applying enough downward pressure on the machine. I will assure you that the Griots machine does not weigh 15 lbs, more like 5 or 6lbs and you cannot rely on just the weight of the machine to remove defects. You should have definitely seen some major improvement in the swirls with the UC and the orange pad if your technique was correct. When you are going for correction you should be using about 15-20 lbs of downward pressure. To get a feel for this, put your DA on a set of bathroom scales and apply pressure until you get to 20 lbs. This would be about the amount of pressure you would need in the correction process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    It sounds like that you may not be applying enough downward pressure on the machine. I will assure you that the Griots machine does not weigh 15 lbs, more like 5 or 6lbs and you cannot rely on just the weight of the machine to remove defects. You should have definitely seen some major improvement in the swirls with the UC and the orange pad if your technique was correct. When you are going for correction you should be using about 15-20 lbs of downward pressure. To get a feel for this, put your DA on a set of bathroom scales and apply pressure until you get to 20 lbs. This would be about the amount of pressure you would need in the correction process.
    Oh I see. I will definitely try this approach next time. Very helpful! Do you recommend going with the Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound? White pad?

I might actually do this tomorrow if I can. I`ve only got 2 orange pads, 5 white pads and some green and black pads. No cleaning brush either. Should I order more pads before I start again?

Thanks bswombaugh!

Post Thanks / Like

I find the pad brush to be quicker and easier than a towel. try going down to 3 dots instead of 4 as well
    I will get one next time I place an order. The terry towel technique is a little iffy for me. Those vibrations!

Ok, will reduce product as well. I think I need to take notes, heh.

Thanks House of Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Got here late to the discussion--bswombaugh summed it up perfectly and dropping to 3 drops. I clean the pad after every section. I use a Denture Brush that I picked up at the Dollar Store for (you guessed it) a dollar--holding it against the pad (with the GG on it`s side across my legs) while on speed 4 then use the towel method, but find it better to twist the towel up and use the rounded ball end that forms and hold against the pad while on speed 4. Never really been able to get Mike Phillips method to work. Don`t know exactly the condition of your paint, but with HD Polish on an orange B&S pad I`m able to remove wash induced marring in 4-6 passes on very hard VW clear. Also, are you cross hatching your passes--first pass left to right overlapping by 50% on each pass until you cover the entire section of paint you are polishing --the second pass top to bottom overlapping each pass 50% with the successive pass? and so on and so on---
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Got here late to the discussion--bswombaugh summed it up perfectly and dropping to 3 drops. I clean the pad after every section. I use a Denture Brush that I picked up at the Dollar Store for (you guessed it) a dollar--holding it against the pad (with the GG on it`s side across my legs) while on speed 4 then use the towel method, but find it better to twist the towel up and use the rounded ball end that forms and hold against the pad while on speed 4. Never really been able to get Mike Phillips method to work. Don`t know exactly the condition of your paint, but with HD Polish on an orange B&S pad I`m able to remove wash induced marring in 4-6 passes on very hard VW clear. Also, are you cross hatching your passes--first pass left to right overlapping by 50% on each pass until you cover the entire section of paint you are polishing --the second pass top to bottom overlapping each pass 50% with the successive pass? and so on and so on---
    Appreciate the suggestions. I`ve got to fix my technique.

The orange pads I was using were foam LC pads instead of the B&S I ordered. I didn`t want to use them but I figured, why not. But they should perform similarly to the BnS, hopefully.

I was trying to cross hatch but the overlapping wasn`t done properly I believe.

So for the next time I do this, I believe this is what I will do, please correct me if I`m wrong:

1. Apply more pressure (15 lbs. - 20 lbs.)
    2. Use some sort of brush (pad cleaning brush or Denture brush) to clean the pads more often
    3. Cross hatch properly
    4. Use 3 or 4 drops of product after pad has been primed (HD Polish?)

Thanks pwaug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    Oh I see. I will definitely try this approach next time. Very helpful! Do you recommend going with the Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound? White pad?

I might actually do this tomorrow if I can. I`ve only got 2 orange pads, 5 white pads and some green and black pads. No cleaning brush either. Should I order more pads before I start again?

Thanks bswombaugh!
    I would go back and try the HD Polish again with the white or orange pad and the correct technique. If that doesn`t get you the desired result move up to the UC on the orange or white pad. Remember to not move the polisher too fast. Check out the info listed below. It may help you.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

I would go back and try the HD Polish again with the white or orange pad and the correct technique. If that doesn`t get you the desired result move up to the UC on the orange or white pad. Remember to not move the polisher too fast. Check out the info listed below. It may help you.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    I`m going to order some additional pads before I start again - I think having enough clean pads gives a novice some additional flexibility. Maybe having 7 or 8 each of orange and white pads along with some green and black ones will be good. I will definitely be weighing my pressure with the Griot`s machine.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to order some additional pads before I start again - I think having enough clean pads gives a novice some additional flexibility. Maybe having 7 or 8 each of orange and white pads along with some green and black ones will be good. I will definitely be weighing my pressure with the Griot`s machine.
    Thanks.
    If you`re talkin lc pads..... Orange is pretty coarse, so half - imho
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    If you`re talkin lc pads..... Orange is pretty coarse, so half - imho
    I got LC orange pads when I actually ordered the Buff N Shine orange pads. I kept them and used them today. I couldn`t get a hold of customer service so I decided to just keep them. I actually just ordered 3 Buff N Shine orange pads along with 3 white ones. This should be enough (I think) pads for next time. I also got a polishing pad cleaning brush coming.

Now on to learning about the technique ...

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I got LC orange pads when I actually ordered the Buff N Shine orange pads. I kept them and used them today. I couldn`t get a hold of customer service so I decided to just keep them. I actually just ordered 3 Buff N Shine orange pads along with 3 white ones. This should be enough (I think) pads for next time. I also got a polishing pad cleaning brush coming.

Now on to learning about the technique ...

Thanks.
    Not sure on the bs pad color/cut scheme
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Not sure on the bs pad color/cut scheme
    This is from theirwebsite. Just click on the link below.

flat foam pads, flat foam buffing pads, car polishing foam flat pads, DA foam 5.5" pads, flex foam pads, pc foam pads, megs g110 flat foam pads, 5.5" detailing foam pads

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information