Post Thanks / Like

Finish on engine deck-lid feels dirty when claying...but clay has no dirt on it.

When I clay the engine deck lid of a `97 Ferrari F355, it feels and sounds like it is dirty. But there is no dirt coming off on the clay or the wipe-off towel. Before I keep going, I wanted some thoughts on that because I`ve never seen this.

I`ve clayed dirty cars of the same age or older that needed many passes, but in those cars you can see the dirt and it will feel progressively smoother.

I can very much tell that after claying I can see more detail of the imperfections of the paint (or the clear) that I could not see before I started, (marring, scuffs/deep scratches) but I am still getting a fine sandpaper feeling after 5-6 passes and it`s strange not actually seeing dirt.

I tried a different part of the car (rear quarter panel) and same thing but the dirty feeling is less dramatic. I can see a decklid requiring more time since it gets so hot and is venting an engine compartment but why would there be no visible dirt?

Is this just the way it is going to be prior to cutting/polishing? (meaning that I should stop)
    Is it just dirty and I need to keep going?

Details:
    --I started with Meg`s clay and Dodo Juice lube. Did not see dirt but felt it.
    --After a couple of passes of that I switched CG medium clay as I thought maybe I needed stronger clay.
    --I then wondered what the heck was on the car so I put some Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueler on it - but it indicated no iron/etc. after a few minutes.
    --After a wipe-down, I switched to Sonax fine clay since it is white and I wanted to see if dirt was coming off.
    --Still no dirt, but a fine sandy feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finish on engine deck-lid feels dirty when claying...but clay has no dirt on it.

Posably over spray but sounds like you have done everything right. May be concentrate on a small area with the med clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finish on engine deck-lid feels dirty when claying...but clay has no dirt on it.

Do you have a lighted magnifying glass?
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth....

I like a 15X one, the more powerful models are harder for me to use for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    No, but it looks like I am about to have one. What should my lighted and magnified eyeballs be looking for/at?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primitivo View Post
    No, but it looks like I am about to have one. What should my lighted and magnified eyeballs be looking for/at?
    Well my Dad used to have one and when you looked thru it you saw a Blonde PinUp

But "Seek and Ye Shall Find" If there is any contamination in/on the paint it`s gonna be obvious.
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, most *any* detailing challenge can be better evaluated with magnification. Rough? See if there`s something on the surface or if the surface itself looks weird. Contamination or stains? See what it really looks like/might be. Marring? See how deep it really is. Pitting? See what`s going on before you start abrading.

OK, maybe some of this is just my older-guy vision, but I still think every detailer oughta have a lighted loupe.
    Likes Stokdgs, POPPAJ liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like there is some kind of overspray on it that is really embedded..
    Claybars will not remove everything but will remove most things..

What lube were you using, and how hard were you pressing down ??

I have never liked or used any Meguiars Claybar - they are too sticky and are a pain to use..

The old Blue ClayMagic bars will always work great, are not sticky, and are very predictable..

I went away from Claybars a few years ago when SM Arnold came out with their rubberized Clay Towel..

And yeah, if you really want to know what is on the paint, a really good eye loupe is the way..

Good luck with this!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

A pic might be helpful. Another thought - some ferraris have a textured or non-smooth finish on engine components.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I will put a magnifying glass up to it in a couple of days and will go from there. Never occurred to me to look at it more closely but of course that makes perfect sense.

Post Thanks / Like

do you have a paint thickness gauge to use before starting any polishing?

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also check around all edges for signs of repair. It does sound like overspray that was still wet when contact was made. These cars are notorious for this if the car has had any paintwork done to the rear. If they are not completely bagged properly the clear migrates under the plastic during painting and cross draft from the booth. There is just a ton of vent work back there.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help everyone, I am really impressed with the number of people that chime in around here and I really appreciate the help.

This appeared to just be contamination/dirt. The duck-tail area had some dirt that did not want to come off easily.

It didn`t look like overspray - just dirt/contamination. What I decided to do was get that part damp for about an hour. Then I did a few cycles of hydrating the area, and then putting P21S wash on it to sit a little. After that, I hit it with CG Heavy clay and had a more typical clay experience. Now, when I look at it under the magnifying glass it looks like clean clear coat over beautiful metallic blue. Nice! It never occurred to me to use a lighted magnifying glass but now I am addicted.

Post Thanks / Like

primitivo- Ah, glad to hear it`s turning out OK. Yeah, the whole lighted magnifier thing can be so helpful...I bet you`ll find all kinds of applications for it. I got so spoiled I bought a pair of lighted magnifying goggles for my basement shop and now I`m thinking I need another pair for the garage!

Thread Information