Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

`

I just got my car back from the body shop today after I had my hood repainted due to storm damage and I was wondering if you can recommend any bug and tar remover that would be safe for fresh paint?` I found a thread on the Meguiars forum that lists "body shop safe" Meguiar`s products and it lists their Gold Class Bug and Tar remover as body shop safe but that is all I have to go by so far. Of coruse I am not finding that at any local Auto Zone, etc. since it is basically a "premium brand" product that I doubt they have any reason to stock.

`

So far I`ve seen RainX bug and Tar Remover, Turtle Wax Renew RX Bug and Tar Remover, and Griots Garage Bug and Smudge Remover readily available.` I`m up for ordering something if there is no alternative but I`m curious if anyone would recommend or condem any of these listed.

`

The main reason I ask is I will be taking a 5 hr drive for vacation over the weekend and it`s inevitable that I will get some nice bug splats on it. I know not to use any kind of sealant, wax, clay bar etc for the next month at least of course but it`s unavoidable that I will get bugs on the car.` I`d really like to be able to clean them off safely when I get to my destination.` If nothing else I will try draping a towel soaked in warm water over it to see if that losens them but I was hoping for something more effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Tar typically requires a solvent to remove and I wouldn`t be using anything strong on fresh paint. Maybe something like mineral spirits, but not lacquer thinner.`

`

Bugs are pretty simple to remove and typically only require the bug guts to be dampened to remove. If you want to be extremely safe, lay a wet microfiber towel over the bugs and keep re-wetting it. It will eventually loosen the body and wipe right off.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d be thinking along the lines of products like 1Z Anti-Inzekt (or somesuch Euro-spelling) that presumably attacks the bug-guts but not the paint.` I`ve used that on recently repainted front bumpercovers without any problems.` That might also neutralized the bug-stuff that can get into the paint and keep on doing damage.

`

Oh, and before the trip I`d get plenty of OCW on there. OCW is approved by Ford for ues on post-production paintwork and it hasn`t caused any problems for me (same bumpercover).

`

While I wouldn`t reach for it first in this case (due to that "gotta neutralize..." issue), I don`t see why you couldn`t clay fresh paint as long as you do it correctly (i.e., very gently with plenty of lube).

Post Thanks / Like
    A fabric softener sheet soaked in water works like magic for bug removal.

Post Thanks / Like

5jjt- I`d sure be careful about what paints you use that on, lest it cause marring.` Softener sheets are not as soft as, say....an old cotton t-shirt, and that (yes, used wet) will mar any of my vehicles.

Thread Information