Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed that the demographic of those that detail their cars is quite narrow. With the hundreds of millions of cars in this country why don`t more people detail their cars regularly? Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    The majority of the population don`t really care how their vehicle look like. It is just a tool for them to get from point A to point B. For those who care about how their vehicle look like, they just want them dirt-free and is satisfied with cheap car washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the question of anyone, especially here in the USA, if they like the way their car looks (in detailing terms). The majority of people will tell you "NO, wish it were cleaner and looked more shinny". When you ask them why that is they will tell you it is primarily a matter of time. I always kept my car up but never to the extent I do now and the reason is that I did not have the time allocated to maintain it the way I wanted. Simply put, there were other things I would rather do. Now that I am retired I have all the time in the world and my car shows it. It all boils down to the factor of time, how you wish to allocate it and the priority you place on detailing.

I think there may be a second factor - knowledge. They are happy just slapping on a coat of turtle wax every year and that`s it. People realize it takes not only time but knowledge of products and technique and real know how in order to detail a car properly and they simply have no desire to get into it that deeply. These are the people that keep the pro detailers in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there are some that wouldn`t keep a car clean if you paid them, they are a lost cause and I have nightmares about what their houses look like. Then, there are the "autospa" group that visit ye ol tunnel of swirls faithfully and honestly believe they are doing right. I know, I was one of "them" then I edu-ma-cated myself to better practices. Then, you have the old school, wash at home with questionable techniques - love those guys, the expression on their faces after I work my magic is priceless. One of my best friends/clients said, " I thought I knew how to take care of my care" then you showed me I didn`t!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aimanrifhan
    The majority of the population don`t really care how their vehicle look like. It is just a tool for them to get from point A to point B. For those who care about how their vehicle look like, they just want them dirt-free and is satisfied with cheap car washes.

I agree, and I don`t really have a problem with that. Everybody`s gotta figure out their own priorities and IMO there are a whole lot of things that are much more important than having a decently detailed vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t people know really *how*, that coupled with no time to do it right any way, it`s just something forgotten and neglected unless they hire someone to do it. It`s a shame because it goes for owners of modest vehicles all the way to high end luxury rides. However,I do see people who truly care about their car, how it looks and all, no matter what make it may be, being more likely to get it detailed though.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    90% of Americans are fat and gross, if they don`t care about the way their body looks do you really think they care about the way their car looks?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think car maintenance has really gone down hill ever since the rise of car leasing. I think the more detailers focus on educating their clients the better recognition maintenance will get.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I think car maintenance has really gone down hill ever since the rise of car leasing..

Yeah, I was thinking that myself....between "free (minimal) maintenance" packages and the idea that it`s not a long-term comitment ("who cares if it [whatever], that`ll be another guy`s problem"), I don`t see people being very invested in the whole car ownership thing any more (gee, should that be "ownership" in scare-quotes ? :think: ) . Even my "car guy" friends simply treat their leased vehicles as disposable conveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by 35of
    .. if they don`t care about the way their body looks do you really think they care about the way their car looks?

You could get me going on that topic, but even the people who do take care of themselves seem to simply not care so much about their vehicles.

I sometimes wonder if there`s a connection between people`s attire and their vehicles; e.g., wearing recraftable shoes being like buying a car outright and just keeping it (i.e., with both, good care means decades of use vs. zero care and frequent replacement). I suspect it`s a very different mindset in quite a few ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve talked to a few people about it and the main consensus is that it takes too much time. A whole day to have your car cleaned inside and out is too much of a commitment for them. I asked them if that is such a problem why do they take the car to the mechanic, which takes just as long. The answer is that if they don`t take the car to the mechanic, the car will eventually stop running. People don`t want to invest the time in cleaning their car because they don`t see the value in doing so, or in other words, the urgency of doing so. I believe that if we educate the public about the importance of regular cleaning and the advantages of doing so for their resale value and also by making the detailing process less time consuming, we would have a much wider demographic. That`s my opinion anyway. Or am I way off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I think car maintenance has really gone down hill ever since the rise of car leasing. I think the more detailers focus on educating their clients the better recognition maintenance will get.

I think you`re right about the rational most leasee`s have, they think of it as and "extended rental" and treat it as such. However, the biggest factors for turning in a lease are miles and wear and tear. If the car is extensively dirty or worn it could means big bucks to the leasee. I think that educating people on how spending a few dollars now can save them many more in the future will be huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy86
    I`ve talked to a few people about it and the main consensus is that it takes too much time...

Wonder how "we pick up/deliver" detailers would fit into this :think: That and loaner vehicles.. most I know who get regular details have the dealer do it and they use a loaner while it`s being done (usually scheduled while the servicing is getting done anyhow).

I know a lot of people, myself included, often have the shop pick the cars up for servicing (my Audi dealer sends a guy down from over an hour away!).

Quote Originally Posted by carguy86
    the advantages of doing so for their resale value ...If the car is extensively dirty or worn it could means big bucks to the leasee...

Regarding the effect on resale value, I wonder if that really hold true Unless a vehicle is utterly trashed..well, I don`t know. It`s never been an issue for anybody I know, and most of my friends and acquaintances neglect their vehicles something awful. With today`s materials (b/c paint, etc.) and build-quality I suspect that most cars hold up OK in most people`s eyes no matter how neglected their cosmetics. I mean, really....vehicles I woulda *sworn* would get docked for their condition never do, not once. In once case I can think of they almost certainly had to do a fair bit of paintwork, but the dealer never mentioned it; maybe they just don`t want to lose the business by ticking off the customer :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets face it , most people are slobs when it comes to car care.I work at a Toyots dealership and you guys would be shocked at the shape of a lot of cars that come in, and Im talking 2 and 3 year old cars . There are a few people that have 10 -15 year cars that are top notch but they are rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Wonder how "we pick up/deliver" detailers would fit into this :think: That and loaner vehicles.. most I know who get regular details have the dealer do it and they use a loaner while it`s being done (usually scheduled while the servicing is getting done anyhow).

I know a lot of people, myself included, often have the shop pick the cars up for servicing (my Audi dealer sends a guy down from over an hour away!).

This works for the dealerships because they have often worked it into the price of the vehicle in some way. Customer satisfaction and brand loyalty justify the cost. I`m not sure how many detailers can afford to have one loaner vehicle, much less a few, and whether the customer who drops off their 1 year old Mercedes/Lexus/BMW/Audi is gonna want to drive the 10 year old Honda for the day.

Being mobile has its advantage. It should also get detailers to think about how to use this knowledge to capitalize. If time & convenience is a deterrent for most people to have their car cleaned find a way to eliminate that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two reasons for me. I do not have a garage, so any detailing gets done to my car at the mercy of the weather. My Wife`s car, she could care less what it looks like, as long as it gets her from point A to point b, as already mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information