Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing single stage paints

What are TSO`s and how do I clean them off? I am assuming that these are the oils left behind from M105? Some alcohol should do the trick?

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- "TSO" = Meguiar`s Trade Secret Oils. Both M105 and M205 leave them behind, but IME the M205 is more likely to cause issues. I clean them off with Akyra Clean (I think that`s the spelling, it used to be called "PrepWash" and it`s sold by Top of the Line), others use Eraser. IME the common approach of using IPA/Rubbing Alcohol is not very effective for this.

Note that TSO aren`t entirely a bad thing when dealing with ss, especially old-tech ss paint. In certain cases the "feed the paint" thing is *NOT* just BS the way it is with b/c paint. But I don`t like the way M205 TSO can mask problems you want to see/correct or the way it dissipates, which is different from how the oils/etc. in Meguiar`s Pure Polishes gradually "die off".

Eh, SS paint can be a bit of a, uhm....involved subject and I don`t mean to over-complicate the whole thing. Compared to b/c it`s truly "the same thing only different"!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, thanks as always buddy. I ordered up a small bottle of 205. It`s all my supplier had in stock.

I`ll hit the panels with my DA first and see the results. Also, the only pads I have are the white and orange. White ones will have to do for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- OK, and remember to not freak out if you get a lot of pigment transfer onto the pads, it can be a shock when you`re used to (not seeing) clearcoat that you`ve polished off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I`ve noticed that lol....my concern is, how often to wash the pads? One pad per panel, than swap to new one? I also don`t have any special pad cleaner either.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- Clean them out as often as you can, more often is better. I don`t use anything really special, but Dawn Power Dissolver is a good OTC choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, didn`t know I could use dawn to wash pads. And OTC stuff is what I`m looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- See if you can find that "Power Dissolver" version, it seems less prone to leave "conditioners" or whatever they are behind. Cleans better too, but rinse rinse rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

Any particular ways to clean? Soak it and leave it, or wrinse the pad out in the power dissolver?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information