Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Scottwax- What with SS white (usually) being so hard, I bet that factors in to why those "more modern" products worked so well.

Worked great on a guards red 911 too. And that`s reasonably soft paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker
    Scottwax- i am on my suppliers site and I see optimum polish 2 and optimum compound 2- are these the two you speak of?

Never mind, I found them. The spay bottle compounds I just never heard of them. Orange and white pads for each?

I prefer microfiber pads, make sure you run the pads over a dampend MF towel and a nylon bristle brush after every section.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Never used mf pads- am I good with megs cutting and finishing mf pads?

Since I have a brand new bottle of m105, would it make sense to go with m205, followed up with m09 on a gray finishing pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker
    Never used mf pads- am I good with megs cutting and finishing mf pads?

Never used the MF finishing pads, sorry :nixweiss

Since I have a brand new bottle of m105, would it make sense to go with m205, followed up with m09 on a gray finishing pad?

I find M205 isn`t always the best on ss as it has "sharp" abrasives. But it might work fine in your case, won`t know until you try. BUT...using M09 afterwards will diminish the gloss and probably make it look "worse". IMO we`re talking two very different approaches here, not necessarily compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    My supplier carries the megs mf cutting pads, so I`ll use those with m105. The tangerine pads you recommended with m80 aren`t available so ill need to find an alternative pad to work with here. As for m09 he also said doesn`t show that in stock as well. M09 should be something I can use with a gray finishing pad?I`ve got one for my rotary.

*found out m09 isn`t available in canada at all*

Post Thanks / Like
    Striker- I`m just not a fan of M205 any more, but it might be the simple answer here instead of M80 and/or M09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks accumulator, you`ve always helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question. Can you wet sand then polish SS like B/C?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJayV10
    Quick question. Can you wet sand then polish SS like B/C?

Laquer, yes.

Enamel gets a bit less definite as there are some enamels that simply don`t "come back" once they`ve been sanded. OK, I can`t recall running into one of those since the `70s. but it *can* be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Laquer, yes.

Enamel gets a bit less definite as there are some enamels that simply don`t "come back" once they`ve been sanded. OK, I can`t recall running into one of those since the `70s. but it *can* be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. A friend of mine painted his VW Bettle a really nice blue color but has a few "issues" he wants me to take care of. I`ve only worked with B/C.

Post Thanks / Like
    LilJayV10- Heh heh, always risky trying to fix issues for friends, especially where there`s some wildcard in the mix like that ss paint. You don`t want any bad feelings if there`s an "oops!".

Post Thanks / Like
    My `57 Chevy doesn`t have much original paint left after years of trying to keep it "shiny". I found Megs #9 with a buffing pad (no pad cut) to work for maintenance purposes. But Autoglym SRP with a polishing pad takes out micro marring better, but removes more pigment. I still get a lot of pigment to clean off the polishing pad with either product (56 year old paint), so the product - not the pad - is evidently cutting..

Post Thanks / Like
    bill57- Huh, I`m always interested (and surprised!) to hear about SRP having cut. Maybe I just use it with a milder pad, or my technique is more gentle, or something....or maybe it`s some kind of "chemical" action going on :nixweiss

Cool that the car still has original paint, and props to you for keeping it that way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I began using SRP on my `85 Olds because I was getting down on paint thickness on edges. I used a white pad on the `85, and it did cut a little. Wanting even less cut on the `57, I used the SRP on a black pad. Got a lot of dead pigment on the pad.

In the early nineties, I was reluctant to use anything that would cut, so I simply preserved what I had with the then state-of-the-art Blue Coral Autofom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any tips and advice on single stage paint polishing?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information