Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ...is an edging paint brush picked up at Lowe`s.

After trying applicator-free aerosols, sprays, and of course foam applicators that worked decently but wouldn`t last long, got my hands messy sometimes, and would be hard to maintain in between uses, I`ve found a much more efficient tire dressing applicator in my linen closet. Although I`m sure others have used this before, this is new to me. It uses less product than sponges/foam/MF applicators because hardly any product gets absorbed past the surface of the bristles. You also retain much more control when dressing low profile tires, along with a more even coat (plus it`s much easier to get into the grooves of labeling in the side wall).

Has anybody else tried using this before? I`m sure there are boar`s hair detailing brushes out there for this as well, but I was very pleased with these results.

Post Thanks / Like
    synthetic or natural bristle brush?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a picture of it? Right now I`m using black microfiber applicators.
    :buffingolishing paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s more commonly referred as a trim brush, but it`s what I used to paint along the edges of the wall by the ceiling.

The one I use is synthetic bristles, it should only be $5-6 at lowe`s or walmart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree these work great. I cut them down so they are stiffer and waste less product. I use them mainly on smaller areas like windshield trim, etc.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I used for quite a while until I tried a HVLP spray gun with Opti-Bond Tire Gel diluted 1:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnand
    That is what I used for quite a while until I tried a HVLP spray gun with Opti-Bond Tire Gel diluted 1:1.

LOL! That`s some serious applicating!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm....I`ll have to revisit using one of thse, it`s been a real long time and dressings are different now. Will any 2" brush do? I must have at least a few in the garage cabinets somewhere.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill give this a shot, how well do they clean up?
    :buffingolishing paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Hmm....I`ll have to revisit using one of thse, it`s been a real long time and dressings are different now. Will any 2" brush do? I must have at least a few in the garage cabinets somewhere.

I`d imagine any brush would work. Upon closer inspection of my brush it looks like it may be some form of natural animal hair and not a nylon brush. It was just a trim paint brush I found from when we painted our old house a couple years ago. As Brad B. suggested, cutting the bristles shorter would give you better control and would use even less product.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia
    Ill give this a shot, how well do they clean up?

I actually just hit mine with the hose after I`m done to break loose any of the grime. As long as you have it as a devoted tire/wheel well dressing applicator, removing *all* dressing residue isn`t all that much of a concern IMO. I`m sure if you had a bucket of APC solution it would be more optimal, but for me a hose rinse or even just spraying the bristles with APC and then rinsing is good enough for me.

Also, I used my brush to dress the wider side wall tires on my MDX yesterday and while the paint brush method works well, its a bit more time consuming on a larger side wall tire. I`m going to try cutting up some old foam for SUV/larger side wall dressing applicators. However for the low-profile tires, I doubt I`ll find anything I like better than using the paint brush :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinNoMore
    However for the low-profile tires, I doubt I`ll find anything I like better than using the paint brush :xyxthumbs

That`s really good to know! I`ll make sure I get an all-natural horse hair or whatever type. Hmm..now I might have to find other uses for the years supply palette of sponge tire applicators I accumulated long ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    That`s really good to know! I`ll make sure I get an all-natural horse hair or whatever type. Hmm..now I might have to find other uses for the years supply palette of sponge tire applicators I accumulated long ago.

Save em for the minivans! Or just send them to me I think I`ll keep using foam applicators for the larger tires due to them being faster. However I don`t like how my usual foam applicators only seem to last for about 8 tires before they get eaten up, maybe I need to find some more industrial-strength foam :biggrin1:

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with these applicators too is that they`re old and have been sitting in the garage for years. I have to reglue the black foam sponge part to the yellow foam hand part and hold it in a vice before using, so maybe the brush will eliminate all of that now and last much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I have only recently started using the brush, I really don`t see the brush tiring out any time soon. Especially when you`re used to the "durability" of the sponge and foam applicators :angry

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking forward to re visiting the brush. I don`t even remember if I used one with all natural bristles. It`s going to beat re gluing those sponges as well as cutting them in half to be able to use them on low profile tires. At minimum, it`s going to be another option to dress with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information