Post Thanks / Like
    I live in CT and didn`t do a few things I wanted to do before the winter hit. What`s the coldest weather you would polish in? What`s the coldest you would use sealant or wax in? What`s the coldest you would wash with ONR?

I have no access to garage. Might do a wash and seal on a warmish day if it comes along, otherwise I will have to wait for spring I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would make sure it is at least above freezing for obvious reasons. When polishing and waxing the time-frame in which it takes to work the polish or have the wax haze/properly adhere is much different than if the temperature was warmer. Even cleaning small areas and claying the car becomes difficult if you`re too cold to take your time, or the clay gets too hard [and it could mar the paint too].

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I would assume anything over freezing would be fine for a wash. But how warm would be good enough for a sealant or wax? My car has little to no protection left since the last waxing was quite a while ago. Also, how high a temp would it have to be for you guys to venture for a polishing outside?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this Corvette ZR-1 in the blistering freezing temps + deep snow in Michigan:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...=bowling+green
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a truck in some pretty chilly temps. Got down to freezing at night (worked til midnight a couple nights). Various products started acting strangely at those cold temps.

Most LSP`s won`t do very well in cold temps; sealants refuse to cure, and waxes just get too stiff to budge. Menzerna polishes are about worthless when it gets below around 50 or so. Megs 105/205 worked pretty well in the cold temps, though.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I`ll do when its below freezing (-2F as I type this) is an ONR wash.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    So hmm I should wait until at least 50 degrees to do a wax or seal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sealed as cold as 40 and had no problems. I liquid wax may be OK. As Superbee said above, some paste waxes can be all kinds of fun to spread and buff off when cold. You will have a good workout should you decide to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to prepare the car for winter, and had to do it on 11 F temp... I had to grab a heat gun and heat a panel, heat the applicator and work as fast as you can.

The water based stuff freezes almost on contact

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schiddy
    So hmm I should wait until at least 50 degrees to do a wax or seal?

Kinda depends on the sealant. Waxes, yeah, I`d say you need to be 50 or better. Spray waxes are ok in lower temps.

Some sealants will cure, eventually, in cold weather. I`ve used FK1 1000p at around 45 degrees or so. It took almost three hours to cure. Just be sure to use a whisper thin coating. You`ll get better cure times, and the residue removal will be much easier.

Just give it a shot on a small area and see how it goes.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I work ing 33 degree plus weather. LOL...As long as my product works I`m good to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    That white Countach I detailed back in February was on a 35 degree day. I was cold but I didn`t have any problems working on the car.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information