Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been spraying Lemon Pledge on my Hummer`s Plastic Trim and tires and can only say one thing....wow!

It makes the tires flat black with almost no shine and doesn`t rub off on my pants every time I walk by like most tire products do.

I was noticing that all of the plastic trim (black, textured located everywhere on a Hummer H3) was turning gray. I began spraying Lemon Pledge on it and the trim has never looked better.

Unlike other products, the Pledge doesn`t wash off the trim after washing but does wipe right off the smooth painted surfaces (overspray). I just spray the Pledge on...wait several hours, and off to a car wash. After the car wash, all Pledge is gone from the painted finish and still present on the textured plastic trim.

What can I expect long term from applying Pledge on my plastic trim? Has anyone had issues using this or a similar product?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do people continue to use products that are not made for vehicles? Why not use some that were made for vehicles? Not trying to be rude just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it only because it seems to be the best product for the job as far as I can tell. That is why I posted this to see if anyone else had experience with Pledge.

Besides, just because Pledge doesn`t have a car on the packaging doesn`t mean it can`t be used for other things. Heck, Q-tips are made to clean a baby`s ears. I use them to clean my A/C ducts, apply precise oil drops, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pledge has been the subject of numerous (and usually heated) threads. Do a search for "Pledge", and you`ll see...
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Super Bee...I am new here and didn`t think of that!

I will do a search right now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Protecting trim with wood polish. That`s a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using Pledge on "plastic" dashboards for 30 years. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    303 is where its at!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard about using it on paint for decades. Never tried it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
    I use it only because it seems to be the best product for the job as far as I can tell.

I highly suggest you check out the bumper and trim dye by forever black. Absolutely amazing stuff. BigAl on here uses this stuff and it has been going 4 years strong for him. I`m sure he`ll post pics of this if he sees this.

Link. Products - Forever Black Car Care Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar
    I`ve heard about using it on paint for decades. Never tried it myself.

:werd:

Using pledge is nothing new to the community.

I hear the old school people talk about using it all the time on paint at car shows and events because it makes the paint shine but I`ve never tried it myself either.

Remember guys pledge is made for finished furniture and wood. Finished furniture is painted with lacquer so Pledge is made to be used on lacquer paint. At one point in time cars used to be painted in lacquer so that is why the old school guys would use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a big hit on single stage paints for years.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that you aren`t supposed to use Pledge or other silicone based cleaners on wood or other surfaces because over time it builds up so much that it gets hazy and greasy. It also attracts dust like crazy. I put it in the category of short term gain and long term damage.

You can use a screw driver as a chisel but it isn`t what it was designed for and will eventually fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am only using Pledge on my Hummer`s texturedblack trim and tires. I am amazaed at how nice it all looks after I wash it. I think it looks much better than QD`s as it maintains a black, matte finish vs. a shiney finish.

I have tried 303 as well. Good stuff but pretty expensive to use as much as I need to cover everything. There is a ton (too much) plastic trim on a H3! I just don`t want it to get washed out and turn gray like my 2005 Expedition did.

I did put Griot`s Bump Black Restoration on the wife`s Expedition and it still look good a month later. I am concerned how long it will stay on however as it seems to be more of a dye.

Has anyone tried Mother`s Back to Black?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    In regards to hard plastic trim if it works and your happy with the result that`s all that matters. Props for thinking outside the box. As for tires I suspect that it has ingredients that would be harmful over time. I`d stick with a water based tire dressing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information