Post Thanks / Like
    need to vent a bit before getting to the main point of my thread.

lawyers and the law system in america ruin good people.

been fighting a loosing battle in my town to build a skate park. been met with some enthusiasm from several kids that skate and a few adults. i can account for all the adults on my fingers that have contributed a kind word, or offered some help. talked with a neighbor and devised a plan to build a few grind rails to "donate" to the parks and rec dept. the idea was shot down and i was given the following answer.

"if a donated grind rail or ramp is installed in the cityand on it`s land, the city is liable for injuries from the rail or ramp if it fails. if the city pays a vendor to install products on the city land that the vendor has built, the vendor is responsible if someone is injured. thus, we cannot accept a private donation of this type, due to the burden of liability on the city."

lets roll that into another scenario.

i like to detail car and truck interiors. i am still working at exteriors, and will not offer help until i`m comfortable with the work completed on my own vehicles. it will be a while!

i considered at one point posting an ad in the news paper, or on craigslist to detail a few vehicles on the side to make some extra cash.

then i looked at it from the legal side... business licenses; insurance; taxes; some jacka$$ with dollar signs in their eyes because 2 months after detailling their car; their stero goes out! :grrr *didnt happen, but i can picture it!*

so how many weekend warriors are completing detail jobs as a side gig?

what "legal" coverage do you have for customer satisfaction?

how many of you have completed a job only to have it come back and bite you?

just wondering.

chris<pixelmonkey>

Post Thanks / Like
    Business and the general public can make you weary. You do need business insurance, in the event you F---someones car up! Taxes like dieing are unavoidable. If you offer QUALITY you will endure. If you go on questioning the ability of your own work or efforts, get the classified ads and punch that time clock. Self employment wont be for you. Wishing you all the best! Hang in there and don`t accept blame for something you DID NOT do.

Post Thanks / Like
    About twenty years ago I had a guy call me back for a cloudy windshield. It had a bit of haze on it. This guy was from Greenwich one of the richest areas in the US. I went back to clean his window and low and behold he had more problems than a dirty windshield. Turned out he was in the midst of a divorce and his wife took off with his buddy! So you see we can be victims even though it is really nothing you did. I still enjoy this guys business twenty years later! So patience is the word!

Post Thanks / Like
    experience is a key part, before u get started do yours,any family members and friends you can trust, then when u feel comfortable jump in. something i always told my employees if u have a question dont be afraid to ask. good luck and we will help u as best we can
    Setting The Standard Higher

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelmonkey
    need to vent a bit before getting to the main point of my thread.

...[rant about legalities and especially liability concerns]...

...lets roll that into another scenario...

...[concerns about legalities and especially liability concerns]...

I`d take a note from the first [...] and apply it to the second one

In other words, you need to cover yourself just in case you do run into one of those [individuals] with dollar signs in their eyes.

Thread Information