Post Thanks / Like
    I just Klassied the Wifemobile. Used a bazillion microfibers. Put them in the washer, then the dryer on airdry. It wasn`t until I took them out that I saw the Bounce magnet thing in the dryer. Can I still use these microfibers, or should I wash them again? Can washing restore their microfiberness?

Post Thanks / Like
    if there was a dryer sheet in there, re-wash them (do an extra rinse cycle). otherwise you might get some streaking from dryer sheet residue and it will be more of a hassle...

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rewash and rinse at least twice in the hottest water you can! Crank up the hot water heater if you have to! Get rid of that fabric softener that you stick in the dryer. The reality is that that it deposits softener on the drum that then transfers to your MF. Try to talk the Boss into using dryer balls instead of any softener, tell her it`s a green thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boil them!!! That`s the only way to get it all out! Plus it reenergizes the fibers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Boil them!!! That`s the only way to get it all out! Plus it reenergizes the fibers!

I must try this. Most of my MF towels need to be "reenergized" and they`re not soft at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    wouldnt that much heat (boiling) ruin the fibers?

I would think about 2 very hot wash cycles, with vinegar in the rinse would be safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can boil MF towels without damaging them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never gotten around to tryin it, but I`ve *heard"/read here that boiling doesn`t hurt them. Some of my MFs came with instructions that said *to* boild them before the first use. But I guess I`d better cover my backside by adding "YMMV".

FWIW, my washer`s "sanitary" cycle gets *hot*, hot enough to, well, sanitize textiles, and it`s never damaged my MFs.

On the softener issue (and I do use it on cotton towels), make sure the dispenser in the washer is cleaned out. And yeah, softener build-up in the dryer can be an issue but IME it comes more from the use of softener sheets than from softener in the wash transferring to the dryer`s drum. Still wouldn`t hurt to wipe it out with solvent now and then, that`s what I do (with proper "don`t blow yourself up!" precautions, of course).

Post Thanks / Like
    Your, only going to boil for about 3-4 minutes max. Then take them out to let them cool to handle. I then ring them out and hang them up to air dry. Before folding I`ll through them in the dryer for a fluff. I do this couple of times a year, depending on how much you use and rotate your stock. I have done this to the cheaper towels like Vroom towels and the yellow Costco micro`s with okay results, but these towels I only use for cleaning door shuts and under hoods and around trunk frames. Higher end towels it takes them back to like new! Next time I do some if I remember I`ll try to take some pictures. I use a kettle and propane rack and I can do about a dozen at a time, it`s quite a production. I think it`s well worth it!! You get a little more out of them before they get retired!

Thread Information