Post Thanks / Like
    I need a little help with cleaning the undercarriage of my 4x4 pickup. I`m not sure its ever been detailed under there since new in 2002. I have detailed the paint and I have to say it came out pretty nice.

Now I want to tackle the undercarriage and see if I can make it look nice again. I love the new look on vehicles under there..... so clean.

I want to order some new products to do this job, but after reading the many posts here and other forums, I`m confused as what to get and exactly how to go about it. Currently I have ZERO products for cleaning the under side.

Can you guys take a look at these pictures and give me kind of a short step by step procedure and (recommended some products) on how to get it looking good again. Can I get the frame, axle and suspension parts black again without painting?

By the way, I think I have access to a pressure washer if needed.

Thanks, Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I would start with a good degreaser, a scrub brush and a power washer. Once that is done, I use a product like Chemical Guys Bare Bones to dress. Keep in mind the dressing will not last forever and you will have to re-apply as necessary. UNDERCARRIAGE SPRAY BARE BONES NEW LOOK SHINE

Post Thanks / Like
    use some APC, brushes, and a sponge and go to town cleaning it up. then dress with your favorite dressing. megs hyper dressing (about $35-$40 a gallon) is great and can be diluted anywhere from 1:1 - 4:1, depending on what kind of finish you are looking for (i use it 3:1 in the wheel wells)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks you guys. I will get some APC and undercarriage dressing and give it a shot. I can buy the Meguiars locally, its a bit more expensive but I dont have to pay shipping.

Thanks again,

Fly5465

Post Thanks / Like
    IME most undercarriages aren`t painted very well at the factory, and are often in nasty condition by the time you want to spruce them up (surface rust, etc.).

So besides cleaning off all the [stuff] that`s under there, you often need to do some kind of recoating before you can switch to merely-maintenance mode.

I`m a *HUGE* fan of Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator and Black Heavy Duty Anti-Rust (link: Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, Paint Guns, Powder Coating, Soda Blasters, Fender Rollers ). These products are very tolerant of so-so prep, and once you get the undercarriage done with them it`s a breeze to keep it looking nice. IME these are MUCH better than products like POR-15 and the other undercoatings I`ve tried, not to say that there aren`t other similar products that are also OK.

Thread Information