Post Thanks / Like
    A question about the best way to remove old sealants/waxes prior to applying fresh coats (whether the car is being polished or not)................

What products (perhaps wash products) are best to remove old waxes & sealants?? I know that using polishes. claying, etc. will remove old layers. However, if the car was not being clayed, polished or otherwise corrected, what is the best way (or product) to accomplish this??

Some forum posts suggest using Dawn dish washing liquid as a car wash. Isopropyl alcohol/water solution is also recommended as wipe-on/wipe-off. I have seen a write-up on Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear being a good product at higher car wash concentrations to accomplish this. Griot`s has also released something called Pre-Wax Cleaner (a clear liquid that has citrus and surfactant components....).

Also, is there any combination of "Optimum products" that will be able to do this (maybe a combination of OPC added to Optimum Car Wash??)

What, in your opinion is the best product/methodology for removing old sealants & waxes so I can start with a fresh pallet (even if there is no corrective step)? Assume I will be using a combination of Opti-Seal and Opt. Car Wax once the paint is clean.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thx.

See ya. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in love with this stuff for that palmolive pure and clear, and Dawn is good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find most dish soaps, including Dawn, to be pretty ineffective for this. A healthy coat of Collinite wax withstands Dawn just fine.

If you don`t want to polish, then start with a conventional wash so you don`t mar things up; LSP-stripping products seldom feature good lubricity.

IPA works OK, but for a more conventional-wash approach I`d use either the alkaline part of a decontamination system or TOL`s Prep Wash.

I`m sure that Griot`s pre-wax cleaner will work fine, but I`d compare the cost of that little bottle to a gallon of the Prep Wash concentrate

Thread Information