Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram that came with "Chrome Clad Wheels"

How are you guys cleaning and protecting that type of wheel? The owner`s manual says to buy a special cleaner from the Dodge parts department.

Post Thanks / Like
    All chrome wheels are "clad" in chrome--it`s not like they`re milled from a giant block of chrome. I would assume that they are the typical clearcoated chrome wheels which most other manufacturers use. If that`s the case, then care for them in the same way you would your paint--a little polish to clean them up, then throw a sealant on them for protection.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    No, chrome clad wheels have a piece of plastic almost like a hubcap that goes over the wheel. Lots of companies like Dodge and Ford are doing this now. The advantages are that they are cheaper and easy to replace if someone hits a curb.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can replace that cladding? GM is using this too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsfavson
    I would assume that they are the typical clearcoated chrome wheels which most other manufacturers use.

clearcoated chrome???????

why in the world would they clearcoat chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Luster
    Yeah, the process of putting that "chrome-like" surface on plastic is called Vacuum Metallizing.

You actually have to me MORE careful with that than with uncoated plastic, because certain chemicals and processes will make it start to peel around the edges. Todays vac-metallized plastics are much better than those of the past, but I`ve still seen damage by those who tried to use a cutting polish with a PC...

Wax or sealant is definitely a good idea... although, depending on the grille you`re dealing with, the pattern of the "checks" could make it very difficult to wax.

I will normally just use car wash soap and water with a very soft brush that can get down in the cracks...

If just doing a QD, I`ll use my normal QD spray and do the best I can with a soft MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    You can replace that cladding?

yes it is a glued on "chromed" plastic cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    yes it is a glued on "chromed" plastic cover

Yeah, I know, I just hadn`t heard of it being a "serviceable" item. Are you saying you can go to the dealer and order the cladding, pry off a damaged one, and glue the new one on? Or is this just done at the wheel repair place after you trade in your core?

My mother has these on her GM car, and she bent a wheel. A wheel repair shop I deal with told me they couldn`t fix them because if they heat the wheel it damages the cladding...I`m presuming if the cladding is available in the aftermarket, that they would have told me they would pop the cladding fix the wheel, and reglue the old or new cladding..but they said all they could do was try and find me a take-off wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never heard of this before. Interesting tech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
    I`ve never heard of this before. Interesting tech.

Same here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman
    No, chrome clad wheels have a piece of plastic almost like a hubcap that goes over the wheel. Lots of companies like Dodge and Ford are doing this now. The advantages are that they are cheaper and easy to replace if someone hits a curb.

Well, I`ll be darned. I`ve never seen those before. They`re certainly, um...interesting. So basically, they`re glorified hupcaps?

clearcoated chrome???????

why in the world would they clearcoat chrome?

Why wouldn`t they? GM does this on all of their chrome wheels, as do many other manufacturers. It protects the pathetically thin chrome they plate the wheels with.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Why wouldn`t they? GM does this on all of their chrome wheels, as do many other manufacturers. It protects the pathetically thin chrome they plate the wheels with.

because a thin layer of chrome is 100X tougher then a CC will ever be

GM does not CC real chrome....Sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    You cannot just replace the cladding... we have an `08 Avenger with the "chrome" clad rims... asked the dealer and the whole rim needs replaced if something happens to the plastic. Its not quality plastic either... cheap cheap stuff.

But I would really like to know myself how to clean and protect this stuff since it seems brake dust will just totally ruin it.

Post Thanks / Like
    because a thin layer of chrome is 100X tougher then a CC will ever be

GM does not CC real chrome....Sorry

Sorry, but they do. The wheels I have are GM OEM CK997 Style wheels. You can check them out here.

I can assure you that these wheels are chrome, and that they are also coated. I`m not Todd or Scott, but I know a coated chrome wheel.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    you do know that your link says ....CHROME FINISH....not sure how that helps your case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but they do. The wheels I have are GM OEM CK997 Style wheels. You can check them out here.

I can assure you that these wheels are chrome, and that they are also coated. I`m not Todd or Scott, but I know a coated chrome wheel.

What makes you think that they have clearcoat over the chrome? I`m sorry but I`m with Jim on this one...usually you would select chrome instead of a painted wheel for greater durability (the plating being harder than paint...corrosion durability might be a different story), but it`s hard to imagine a cheap OEM doing both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information