Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, a friend of mine recently suggested that I try using peanut butter to bring some life back into the trim on my `99 BMW 740i Sport. I think it sounds crazy, but it does make some sense considering the oils in peanut butter. I`ve been using Forever Black as of late, with good results, but I need something a bit more serious. Has anyone heard of this technique? Any testimonials?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it`s messy but it works. You are better off using something like Black WOW to give your trim it`s shine back. Just remember it`s a temporary solution and will require re-using it as you see fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of this trick being used on black plastic mirrors. Can`t recall the trim though.
    Brad

1998 Civic Si - black - the gas pumps don`t hurt as bad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    Well, it`s messy but it works. You are better off using something like Black WOW to give your trim it`s shine back. Just remember it`s a temporary solution and will require re-using it as you see fit.

See that`s the issue I`m having with the Forever Black now. It looks great and is incredibly easy to use, but I find myself having to reapply ever month or so if I want to keep my trim looking new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burn740i
    See that`s the issue I`m having with the Forever Black now. It looks great and is incredibly easy to use, but I find myself having to reapply ever month or so if I want to keep my trim looking new.

Well peanut butter isn`t going to be some miracle product by any means. The vehicle is coming up on 10 model years old. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep it in the shape you deem necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if I could squeeze a bit more time out between applications then that`s really what I`m looking for. If it`s no better than the forever black then I see no point in changing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burn740i
    I guess if I could squeeze a bit more time out between applications then that`s really what I`m looking for. If it`s no better than the forever black then I see no point in changing.

I can`t comment on the longevity differences between FB and Black WOW. I can suggest you perhaps try using a sealant on your trim after applying FB. Get something with no cleaners/few cleaners in it so you don`t remove the FB.

Duragloss #101 or #111 is available locally. Maybe you can get some more longevity out of it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had better results using wd-40. Unlike dressings the wd-40 actually soaks into the trim softening and restoring the correct petroleum based oils. Peanut butter puts an organic oil which can decompose. In fact wd-40 is often used as a rubber softener to make remote controlled car tires grippier. I also use wd-40 to restore pliability to old dry door seals.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s not a bad idea. What was your procedure? Dampen a rag with WD-40 and wipe down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Use some mineral oil and a nail brush, wipe clean, and apply a dressing or non-staining sealant/wax. I avoid dressing most trim, it runs, needs reapplying, and is just not worth it IMO.

Maybe Ultima Trim/Tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think it would attract dirt (and flies) quickly

I would also recommend a grape scented tire dressing to give you the full effect

Thread Information