Post Thanks / Like
    I was using my sister-in-law`s 2001 Honda Civic to practice some paint correction with Meguiar`s M83 and M80 this past weekend. The car has never even been waxed since she bought it new. I started a test spot on the hood and all of these short small scratches began to appear as I polished. Looking closer, they were definitely not swirls, they go in all kinds of random directions and are no longer than 1/4 inch or so. They cover the front edge of the hood and extend about 2/3 of the way up to the windshield. Are these "crows feet" I`ve seen mentioned elsewhere here and the start of clearcoat failure? Would love to hear any input.

And, here`s a half and half shot of the trunk with one pass of M83 and one pass of M80. This was my first time ever trying M83, so still learning.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats crows feet, and yes it`s a form of failure, nothing you can do to that, hondas are notorious for crows feet

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are right, that`s what`s called crows feet. I`m not sure what causes them but I have seen them before too. They are through the entire clear layer right? I will be watching this thread also.

Great job with the #83/#80 combo.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    They are evenly spread across the clear coat on the hood, starting at the front edge and extending most of the way to the windshield, but much worse on towards the leading edge of the hood. You don`t see them as much on the right side of the picture because I stopped polishing the hood as I saw them appear. I think they popped out when the polish filled in the little cracks, making them really stand out. I don`t know if they`re caused more or made worse by heat? Is that why they`re only on the hood? I was surprised by this since the car is only a 2001.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the trunk. Was the hood ever repainted? Looks like a crappy repaint to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK the hood has never been repainted. She leased it new and bought it out at the end of the lease. Any more thoughts on this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    thoughts as far as what you can do about those? if thats the question you can repaint it. or you can use it as a good touch up & wetsand project maybe. i don`t think youre going to be happy witht he results though, i don`t know much about touch ups maybe someone with exp. can chime in.

Thread Information