Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve searched and found some info, but I have a few more questions about Home Depot`s grout sponge.

I`ve decided to get away from my Meguiars Ultra Plush Mitts which have began to clump up and am now looking for new mitts to use. I can`t find any Eurow washmitts at Walmart, so I`m essentially considering either the Shmitt or these grout sponges. For those of you that regularly use grout sponges for washing the car:

1) Do you find that the sponges have a higher tendency to scratch the surface of a dirty car when compared to a, say, sheepskin mitt? How about a Shmitt?

2) Does dust/dirt ever get stuck on the sponge and is hard to rinse out?

I certainly want to try out the Shmitt, but I don`t see the necessity to spend so much more money if I can get a cheap $2 sponge that can do the exact same job and just as well, without causing scratches/swirls. Glad to hear what you guys have to say! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem I have run into with "sponges" is some dirt tends to get trapped in them and it`s hard to get out. I use a sponge on wheelwells and such but not on the paint...

Example is a "Grout sponge" I used for grouting my kitchen tile.. It still has little particles even after repeated washing. Just my my opinion.... hope it helps....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I`ll definitely take that into consideration

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, lots of micro marring is caused by not rinsing the vehicle properly or utilizing a cheap car wash shampoo which does not have enough lubricating quality..

As for using sponge with large deep pores. Theoretically these types of sponges allow grit to be captured in the pores and not be trapped between the surface of the sponge and the paint. One way I have found to wash the exterior is to use a 2 bucket system, 1 for wash solution and 1 with clean water. Apply the solution rinse the sponge in the clean water and repeat. I also utilize the same process from the belt line down with fresh sponge, solution and rinse bucket.

Hope that helps

Tony Stubblefield

Founder

New England Detail Authority

617.464.4481 ext.2

National Association for Professional Detailing and Reconditioning

Bulletins

Post Thanks / Like
    Where`s Spoiledman???

I use a grout sponge for ONR washing, and I`ve noticed no noticeable marring from it. For really caked-on dirt/salt/grime, I prefer a wash brush, especially combined with a foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCBuddha
    Where`s Spoiledman???

I use a grout sponge for ONR washing, and I`ve noticed no noticeable marring from it. For really caked-on dirt/salt/grime, I prefer a wash brush, especially combined with a foam gun.
    X2!

No noticilbe marring from my grout sponges and I still have them in service. As long as you`re using them with some common sense, they`ll work well for traditional or rinseless washing.

I also have some Shmitt`s I`ve been trying and like them as well. The Shmitt stays on my hand and it covers a lot of area quickly. After I`m done wiping the side of a vehicle with a white Shmitt, it looks like I`ve sprayed that side with a foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    All you have to lose is $2. Get to HD and pick one up. Remember, you want the "loose" ones in the bin not packaged.

Common sense is the order of the day just as qadsan stated. Grout sponges release the excess grout from the sponge.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank all of you for the thoughtful replies SpoiledMan, you`re absolutely right. It`s only $2, so I don`t have to worry too much. Originally I was just worried there would be a higher chance of marring. However, you guys seem to be fine with the grout sponges and haven`t noticed any major problems.

NEDATONY, I do use the 2 bucket washing method and Meguiars Gold Class shampoo. After washing the van today again, I`ve decided that I can`t use my Ultra Plush mitts anymore. They`re causing a lot of marring, despite the fact that I`m being very careful and gentle. I`ll be dropping by Home Depot hopefully today!

Post Thanks / Like
    SpoiledMan,

Ive never seen the loose ones in the bin, is there something wrong with the packaged ones? I bought one but havent used it yet....

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The packaged ones seem to be a little more stiff. I don`t remember if I tried them for a rinse less wash but they do work fine for a traditional wash. They also seem to soften a bit after a few uses. I`m dealing with soft black paint and none of the above may even be an issue for you.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the packaged ones with ONR and haven`t noticed marring. To me they seem to get stiffer with age; after a while the body sponge gets retired to wheel & jamb service, and the old wheel & jamb sponge gets thrown out. I cut a corner off the wheel sponge to make sure they don`t get mixed up.

My local HD doesn`t have the loose sponges, or they hide them where I can`t find them.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I went to HD yesterday and couldn`t find any loose sponges, so I ended up buying the packaged one. I tried using it, and had a few problems/questions. Do you guys squeeze the sponge while going back a forth on the paint? I found that if I didn`t squeeze, there would be very little lubrication and marring would result. For those of you that use these sponges, would you mind writing up a little process of how you guys wash using the sponge? It would definitely be appreciated

edit: I just wanted to say that these sponges work pretty well as "foam guns" You can squeeze and get SO much foam. I might consider using one sponge to create the foam and another sponge to wash. This way there will be much better lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new Walmart on Route 110 has 6 Eurow mits left as of last Thrusday

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t notice any marring, but my beef with the sponges is they don`t get into all the little cracks (between the doors, grills, etc) like a sheepskin mit does.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys use the sponges? Do you squeeze some solution onto the paint surface before swiping it with the sponge? I find that if I just put the sponge on the paint surface and start dragging it back and forth, all the solution is contained inside the sponge and doesn`t want to come out (as with all sponges). What do you guys do to prevent this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information