Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clay vs cleaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone help me out on this. Ive always been a clay user. Why would you use a cleaner wax or anything like that when you can clay?

Whats the difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    A cleaner wax just doesn`t have the to capabilities to remove all embedded contaminents like clay.

I always clay and then follow with a cleaner before polishing.

Just good habit! I don`t really know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbya
    I always clay and then follow with a cleaner before polishing.

You can definately skip the paint cleaner if your gonna be polishing anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember clay is an abrasive. It should not be used everytime you wax your car. Others will definitely disagree, but I think it is a bit overused. It functions extremely well as an overspray remover and for removing environmental fall out.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    You can demonstrate the difference for yourself, that would speak volumes more than what we can put in words. It happens everytime I show how clay works to someone in person. First, wash your car. Do whatever you want on one panel; polish, wax, cleaner wax, whatever. Then take half of that panel and go over it with clay. Very lightly drag your fingers over the paint on the clayed vs the non-clayed sections and you`ll feel the difference for yourself.

And yes, I know clay should be used before wax, I`m just saying you can use this as a demonstration to see how much of a difference it can make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ern
    Can someone help me out on this. Ive always been a clay user. Why would you use a cleaner wax or anything like that when you can clay?

Whats the difference?

Well, a clay is designed to pull contaminants from your paint. A cleaner wax, at least most, are designed to deal with very minor imperfections and add a level of protection to your paint. If you meant a pre-wax cleaner, most do the same thing as a cleaner wax just without the protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can try the TW Ice liquid Clay....It really works quite well.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ern

Whats the difference?
    Clay and cleaner wax aren`t used for the same purpose. Clay only "removes" surface contaminants, it doesn`t remove swirls, scratches, oxidation or restore dull finishes. Cleaner waxes claim to do all of the above.
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Just remember clay is an abrasive. It should not be used everytime you wax your car. Others will definitely disagree, but I think it is a bit overused. It functions extremely well as an overspray remover and for removing environmental fall out.

I guess I`ll be the one that disagrees with this. I`ve spoke to a few of the higher ups at Auto Magic and they claim that their Blue Clay Magic won`t remove LSP`s and can be used as much as you`d like without harming the finish. For years I`ve been claying vehicles during regular washings without waxing/polishing and haven`t noticed anything strange.

According to Clay Magic`s web-site:

Clay Magic® is a deep cleaning and smoothing clay bar that instantly removes harmful pollutants from today`s vehicle finishes without using strong, acidic chemicals or harsh abrasives. Use it every time you wash or wax.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I guess I`ll be the one that disagrees with this. I`ve spoke to a few of the higher ups at Auto Magic and they claim that their Blue Clay Magic won`t remove LSP`s and can be used as much as you`d like without harming the finish. For years I`ve been claying vehicles during regular washings without waxing/polishing and haven`t noticed anything strange.

According to Clay Magic`s web-site:

Clay Magic® is a deep cleaning and smoothing clay bar that instantly removes harmful pollutants from today`s vehicle finishes without using strong, acidic chemicals or harsh abrasives. Use it every time you wash or wax.
    How would you explain how it "removes" the contaminants then?
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rkf76
    How would you explain how it "removes" the contaminants then?

In a nutshell, it pulls embedded contaminants from the paint with every stroke you make. The lubricant that`s sprayed on the paint acts as a buffer to allow the clay to slide across the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    In a nutshell, it pulls embedded contaminants from the paint with every stroke you make. The lubricant that`s sprayed on the paint acts as a buffer to allow the clay to slide across the surface.
    If clay is not abrasive, why do they come in different grades like fine and medium. If the clay is nonabrasive, one would think there would be no need for that. It seems to me the grade is a measure of it`s abrasiveness.
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay

I guess that pretty much confirms my argument
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course the executives at Auto Magic are going to say it does not remove LSP`s. I would not be in their best interests to say it does. The reason clay is so overused is because of the marketing of companies such as Auto Magic.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Of course the executives at Auto Magic are going to say it does not remove LSP`s. I would not be in their best interests to say it does. The reason clay is so overused is because of the marketing of companies such as Auto Magic.

Don`t you think their would be negative repercusions if they lied? It would actually be in their best interest to say it does remove wax so people buy more of their more profitable products - wax. How is clay "overused"? Don`t you think clay is a viable solution to regular car maintenence like washing and waxing? Or is waxing overused too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information