Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some tire marks / dirt (minor) on my headliner yesterday as I was stacking the tires in my car, could someone tell me what is the best way toi remove / clean those stains? My headliner is light grey colour.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a slightly damp MF (microfiber towel) with a Woolite/water mix (6 or 10 parts water to 1 part Woolite). You don`t want to get the headliner wet or the adhesive might fail. You`ll be surprised how well that works on most headliner stains. I would not use a household cleaner like 409 or you could risk "bleaching" that spot a lighter color.

If your stains are more stubborn you can try one of the foaming cleaners that you vacuum off. Once again, be very careful, or you could wind up with a droopy headliner.

You can also do a search using "headliner" and you`ll find a lot of threads on this subject if you want some additional tips. Good luck, and report back how it turns out.

Edit: I just noticed that you are from Canada.... I believe the Woolite sold up there is called Zero.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Try a slightly damp MF (microfiber towel) with a Woolite/water mix (6 or 10 parts water to 1 part Woolite). You don`t want to get the headliner wet or the adhesive might fail. You`ll be surprised how well that works on most headliner stains. I would not use a household cleaner like 409 or you could risk "bleaching" that spot a lighter color.

If your stains are more stubborn you can try one of the foaming cleaners that you vacuum off. Once again, be very careful, or you could wind up with a droopy headliner.

You can also do a search using "headliner" and you`ll find a lot of threads on this subject if you want some additional tips. Good luck, and report back how it turns out.

Okay, will try tomorrow, but I have to go to my parent house to get some woolite :p

Does it mean the black stuff from the tire which stick on the headliner will transfer to the MF towel when using your technique?

Thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tricycle
    Okay, will try tomorrow, but I have to go to my parent house to get some woolite :p

Does it mean the black stuff from the tire which stick on the headliner will transfer to the MF towel when using your technique?
    See my Edit about what Woolite is called in Canada.

It depends on how bad the "black stuff from the tire which stick on the headliner" is, as to how easy it will be to clean. I`d start out mild with the Woolite method and then go from there.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    A good Hot water extraction unit running with a fine fabric rinse agent in it.

Get your hwe heated up.

Then work in a foam fine fabric cleaner,

then extract with the HWE and rinse agent.

Run two dry strokes per wet stroke and set up air movement to speed drying.

now if you do not have all that.

http://www.interlinksupply.com/

type in "prochem fine fabric shampoo"

It should come up the second one down on the left hand side.

Mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket according to it`s instructions.

Get 2 clean terry towels, and one super thick grout sponge from home depot.

dip the sponge in the shampoo, then wring 90% the water out. Massage the sponge into a lather, Work lather onto the headliner in 12x12" areas. Wip off/dry with a folded white terry.

Repeat this across the whole headliner, Then let dry. Assess if it needs to be done again.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    I would test try using the cheapest method (i.e. woolite) first and see the result.

Thanks.

BTW, which woolite product are you recommended? They have fabric wash and carpet cleaner! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used a baby wipe before with success

Post Thanks / Like
    All i use is a damp MF towel, never needed any chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use 303 fabric cleaner, but I have it on hand. Otherwise I think the woolite solution is good advice. I`m not sure I`d use an extractor (even if I had one) for this kind of spot clean-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, woolite fabric cleaner or carpet cleaner? They have different kinds!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tricycle
    Hey, woolite fabric cleaner or carpet cleaner? They have different kinds!!
    Woolite Fabric Wash.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Woolite Fabric Wash.

Okay, thanks! I will try either Zero or woolite. I think I have seen a small bottle of woolite in my parent`s laundry room. I will check tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont want to get the headliner to wet, so I would use Tuff Stuff spray foam.If that dont work I would mix up some clear ammonia and water 1cup to 1gallon warm water. Dunk in a wash cloth and ring out and lightly rub spot. I know ammonia stinks, but you do want the spot cleaned. When it drys the smell is gone. Try the Tuff Stuff or another spray foam first.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should vacuum the spot and around first, to prevent spotting from the wet wipe, if it is at all dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    You dont want to get the headliner to wet, so I would use Tuff Stuff spray foam.If that dont work I would mix up some clear ammonia and water 1cup to 1gallon warm water. Dunk in a wash cloth and ring out and lightly rub spot. I know ammonia stinks, but you do want the spot cleaned. When it drys the smell is gone. Try the Tuff Stuff or another spray foam first.

your advocating applying a product with a ph of 14 on a woven fiber with a fragile backing? Ammonia has no actually cleaning ability, It has no detergents to remove a spot. He is more likely to spread the stain by wickign action than clean it.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information