Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know how many here have clear bras on their car. I really like it, keeps rock chips off the front and protects the paint. One thing that is bothering me is that the bra gets stained.

I had some yellow bug crap on my bra that I didn`t get to clean until the end of the week. I thought it`d just wipe off as most stuff does... but after washing it left a yellow stain on the bra. I tried using bug and tar remover on it and some cleaner wax and nothing works. The stain almost seems like it is a part of the bra and I don`t want to ruin the bra by using anything really abbrasive on it.

Anyone have an idea how to clean it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry I do not know how to answer your question about cleaning. I post an additional question, I live on the front range of Colorado and have considered the 3M ClearBra. How does it stand up to the brutal high altitude sun? I just cannot believe that it will not eventually suffer from all the UV, dry out, turn yellow, craze or crack? What kind of warranty does it have?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfridrich
    I am sorry I do not know how to answer your question about cleaning. I post an additional question, I live on the front range of Colorado and have considered the 3M ClearBra. How does it stand up to the brutal high altitude sun? I just cannot believe that it will not eventually suffer from all the UV, dry out, turn yellow, craze or crack? What kind of warranty does it have?

Scott

I have no idea how it would last in those conditions. My car is garaged and driven mainly on the weekends and I`ve had no problems in the year I`ve had it so far. Some people have had problems with yellowing of the bra material but there are lots of different brand of material and some are better than others.

The warranty on a clear bra totally depends on the installer. Some places will have lifetime warranty on labor. The bra is supposed to last 5 years and can be removed at any time. You wash it as you normally wash your car and have to remember to wax/seal it as you would your paint.

I had headlight protection on my previous car and it protected my headlights from rocks and scratches in the 40K miles I had the film on. After 40K miles the headlights still looked like new and chip free.

You can find more information at:

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Let your car sit out in the sun for a few days, and the stains will fade away. I drives me nuts knowing that the stains are there, but in a few days, they are gone. I think it has something to do with the soft and pourous nautre of the material.

No worries!! :xyxthumbs
    2007 Infiniti G35S

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2008 CanAm Outlander 400XT

2008 Honda Rancher 420ES

Post Thanks / Like
    3M material has a "clear coat" on it. you should try leaving it out in the sun. if that does not work you can try LIGHT cleaner/wax a couple of times. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z K
    I don`t know how many here have clear bras on their car. I really like it, keeps rock chips off the front and protects the paint. One thing that is bothering me is that the bra gets stained.

I had some yellow bug crap on my bra that I didn`t get to clean until the end of the week. I thought it`d just wipe off as most stuff does... but after washing it left a yellow stain on the bra. I tried using bug and tar remover on it and some cleaner wax and nothing works. The stain almost seems like it is a part of the bra and I don`t want to ruin the bra by using anything really abbrasive on it.

Anyone have an idea how to clean it?

I had the clear bra on my SL55. Notice I said had. Mine became badly water spotted and no matter what I tried I could not remove the spots. I finally resorted to removing it. The installer said he contacted the manufacturer and they claimed "owner negligence" without seeing the car. So much for the warranty; what a crock of ****.

I found the product to be less than perfect. In the heat and especially if the sun hit it it would become sticky, it also would scratch and there was little that you could do to remove the scratches and yes it was visible especially on a black car.

While it did prevent chips it had way too many drawbacks as far as I am concerned. What was interesting was when I removed the film it had a distinct yellow cast to it. I informed the installer about it and his comment was to not respond. I guess the yellowing was "owner negligence" as well.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    the older materials did yellow.. even 3M. however, the new stuff does not yellow. i`m talking about the 3M product only. there are 2-3 other companies that make this stuff though and i`ve been told to steer clear of them. even recent installations can be done with the older material that they have in stock. my guy will not us his old stock now. 3M were the first ones to develope it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input! I guess I`ll let it sit and see if the stain fades away...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    the older materials did yellow.. even 3M. however, the new stuff does not yellow. i`m talking about the 3M product only. there are 2-3 other companies that make this stuff though and i`ve been told to steer clear of them. even recent installations can be done with the older material that they have in stock. my guy will not us his old stock now. 3M were the first ones to develope it.

I`ve been told to wax the bra and it will help protect it. The bra is also breathable so it should allow the paint underneath to be ok. My installer didn`t use 3M material as he mentioned 3M has had some problems and the material is too thick to work with. I figure it`s ok as it`s the same stuff he puts on people`s Enzos and Carrera GTs and they`ve no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z K
    Thanks for the input! I guess I`ll let it sit and see if the stain fades away...

I`ve been told to wax the bra and it will help protect it. The bra is also breathable so it should allow the paint underneath to be ok. My installer didn`t use 3M material as he mentioned 3M has had some problems and the material is too thick to work with. I figure it`s ok as it`s the same stuff he puts on people`s Enzos and Carrera GTs and they`ve no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have film on my new Porsche C2S. It is a Dupont film Armorglove switched to due to 3M films yellowing in time. I`ve noticed it does get soft/sticky when in the sun. So much so that if you wipe it with a MF, the fibers stick to it. Once cool, it`s fine.

It`s always a good idea to treat the film with some type of protectant. As for staining, some plastic "cleaners" can be used, but test an area first.

This newer film is very clear, no ornage peel look like the 3M had.

For now, I treated it to a coat of Z2-Pro and clean with Z6 or Z8. I also use a MF duster quite like the Califonia duster w/o the wax. It all depends on what`s on the film as to dust or pollen. If it`s dusty as hell, I wash it off. Sure, it`s very soft, but worth every penny.

Any "cleaners" you need to be careful as some will haze the film. If possible, get a sample of the film from your installer to test with. Check with them as to a good cleaner and any type of protectant to use and which to avoid.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Plexus to clean and polish my clear bra (Avery Stoneshield) with good results. I also have some Meg`s PlastX. Someplace I was reading up on maintaining PPF reccommended thier use (or similar products).

Interestingly enough I noticed the installer and some in his kit as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked on a truck today with a badly stained clear bra. I did a sample area to see what I could do. I used my buffer first with mothers cleaner carnauba wax then Meg`s polish. It got most of the stains out. worked better than I thought it would.

Post Thanks / Like
    The old material does stain (yellow) because 3M made a mistake when they choose how the wanted it to fade because of the UV. As far as what products are better. First is Venture Tape, second is Avery and last would be 3M. Any of these products work well. The only thing is make sure if your dealer is using 3M make sure they have traded in their inventory within the last few months. 3M just changed again and they were willing to exchange with certified dealers for free. If they are not certified and install by hand not using lazer cut kits they prop still have the old stock.

But what i think you said was you had yellow stain from an insect not yellowing. Use a plastic polish second but first, use alcohol 98% from the drug store. This is a installers trick. Straight alcohol and a micro is used to remove stains and scratches. It actually relaxex the material slightly and the scratches pops out. Also really works well for stains. Just saturate a towel in alcohol hub it on the stain(and rest of bra to bring it back to new) and then wipe it of with a clean micro. This is how we remove scratches and stains for trying to force out an air bubble that was left un-noticed.

Thanks,

416 Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that`s some good information! The yellow bug stain hasn`t come off for me so I`ll pick up some alcohol and try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 416 Auto
    The old material does stain (yellow) because 3M made a mistake when they choose how the wanted it to fade because of the UV. As far as what products are better. First is Venture Tape, second is Avery and last would be 3M. Any of these products work well. The only thing is make sure if your dealer is using 3M make sure they have traded in their inventory within the last few months. 3M just changed again and they were willing to exchange with certified dealers for free. If they are not certified and install by hand not using lazer cut kits they prop still have the old stock.

But what i think you said was you had yellow stain from an insect not yellowing. Use a plastic polish second but first, use alcohol 98% from the drug store. This is a installers trick. Straight alcohol and a micro is used to remove stains and scratches. It actually relaxex the material slightly and the scratches pops out. Also really works well for stains. Just saturate a towel in alcohol hub it on the stain(and rest of bra to bring it back to new) and then wipe it of with a clean micro. This is how we remove scratches and stains for trying to force out an air bubble that was left un-noticed.

Thanks,

416 Auto

I think 3M fixed the yellowing problem quite a bit sooner than just several months ago. This problems was addressed and fixed before I made my decision to go with 3M which was over a year ago.

Thread Information