Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best method to remove the automotive adhesive glue (clear color type) and adhesive silicone on the hood? The reason is I want to remove an aftermarket emblem on my hood which I put on last time?

Will the paint on the hood be removed while I am doing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    i know brake cleaner will help remove silicon adhesive (got black RTV off a shirt with it)....not sure if you want it on your paint though.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I know, brake cleaner is very bad for the paint! I believe it will damage the clear coat on the paint immediately.

I am thinking using Goo-Gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    if this adhesive is similar in any way to the kind used to hold badges on cars, use heat to loosen it (hair dryer) and some fishing line to cut the emblem off. once its off you hit it nicely with the goo gone and use some elbow grease to get it off. if your hands hurt and you must use a tool, make sure it has a rounded and not sharp edge so you dont scratch up your clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am from the netherlands so don`t bother my english.

1) if this adhesive is similar in any way to the kind used to hold badges on cars, use heat to loosen it (hair dryer) and some fishing line to cut the emblem off , this is also the procedure to remove stickers from your vehicle(excl. the fishing line)

2) Auglym intesive tar remover will do the rest of the cleaning.

3) That`s all folks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying WD40 on a small spot won`t hurt either. That stuff does wonderful things sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    i actually used wd40 during the removal of my badges in addition to goo gone, the goo gone works alot more efficiently for this type of adhesive and is easier to get off, the wd40 sometimes leaves a slight haze.

although i swear by wd40 for removing road tar from paint. just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    AUTOGLYM instensive tar remover Sorry for the wrong spelling the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    The glue that I mentioned are those "paste" glues not double sides adhesive tapes on the emblems. I am trying to search the pictures of the glues from the internet but I cannot find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    a pinstripe removal wheel works well for the glue for emblem adhesive removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the search from the internet, the stuff that I used to glue the emblem on my hood is "GOOP" Automotive Adhesive.

Any ideas how to safely remove and clean the emblem from the hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    found this with a simple google search for "goop automotive adhesive removal"

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infgoo.shtm

According to Abby from GOOP Central (1-800-693-GOOP or 1-800-767-GOOP), there are three recommended solvents for GOOP. They are acetone, toluene and naphtha. Acetone will do a good job on GOOP that has not fully set. Toluene is a more powerful solvent that will remove fully set GOOP. Naphtha, a solvent used in dry cleaning, is recommended for removing GOOP on clothing.

It is important to follow all precautions on the solvent`s label. Test a little of the solvent on the surface first... no sense getting surprised by some sort of bizarre chemical reaction, such as your cellular phone melting into the carpet!

I wouldnt try any of these until some more insight from experts as I don`t know what effect they could have, if any, on your car. So please wait for someone to follow up on this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxus
    found this with a simple google search for "goop automotive adhesive removal"

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infgoo.shtm

I wouldnt try any of these until some more insight from experts as I don`t know what effect they could have, if any, on your car. So please wait for someone to follow up on this post.

I checked this article already, but it did not look good to me! He is saying something like "toluene" to remove the glue, and I have no clue!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, i would wait to see how these would effect the paint, if someone who`s an expert says it`ll be fine i`d atleast give it a try.

you might still try the heat idea though. alot of adhesives weaken when heat is applied. just make sure you dont burn the stuff.

Thread Information