Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to all. Noob at Autopia here. I`ve spent hours reading all the incredibly useful information here and have had nearly every question I`ve ever had about cleaning/detailing answered without even having to ask them. How convenient! So thanks to all the great posters who`ve spent so much of their time sharing their knowledge and experience. As a result, I`ve managed to spend more money on a new PC and pads, yada yada.

Anyway, here`s the question that I *didn`t* find a consensus answer to: how to remove/polish those fine scratches that happen on soft windsheld glass from using wipers in Winter when all that gritty crud gets kicked up. I have two cars with pretty ugly windshields that are borderline dangerous at night when they bloom from oncoming headlights.

I`ve searched and come up with a handful of posts that talk about CMA, Caswell, and Janvil, but no one seemed overly enthusiastic about any of them. Then there was This Post that sounds pretty interesting.

Now I don`t have any clay; I don`t even know where to buy it locally. But I`ll go find it if there are some members here who`ve had some success with this approach. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks for any comments or experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try the clay, but by the sounds of it, it won`t be abrasive enough to properly clean it. You CAN polish it though.

If you`ve got a PC7424, then I suggest picking up a glass polishing kit from PAC.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/classic-...g/glpokit.html

I picked this up to remove some hard water spots and slight scratching on my skylien windows. I havent` used it yet but from reviews and other experiences, this will make the glass crystal clear
    Pinnacle Detailing - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-T TypeM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnab
    You can try the clay, but by the sounds of it, it won`t be abrasive enough to properly clean it. You CAN polish it though.

If you`ve got a PC7424, then I suggest picking up a glass polishing kit from PAC.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/classic-...g/glpokit.html

I picked this up to remove some hard water spots and slight scratching on my skylien windows. I havent` used it yet but from reviews and other experiences, this will make the glass crystal clear

I tried it (AutoGlym) and it made no difference in the water spots on my Dad`s 300M.... Although it does make the glass really shiney. I was thinking that a good pad (Edge Orange) a PC and some Optimum polish might do the trick. But for scratches more power is needed. I just ordered the Glass Polishing Kit #GPK10 from Caswell as well as some Cerium Oxide refill. I hope to have it in hand and tested by this weekend. I am looking to get some very fine / micro pits out of my windshield. The dealer, as usual, decides that it is my driving habits and not the glass. But being as my other car had 45K miles on it and no issues on the same routes, you would think a new car with 5K would have even less issues. But now at 31K I am having some difficulties seeing at sundown and sunset when the angles are just right for reflections. Anyway, I will post up my results as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nbk13nw
    I tried it (AutoGlym) and it made no difference in the water spots on my Dad`s 300M.... Although it does make the glass really shiney. I was thinking that a good pad (Edge Orange) a PC and some Optimum polish might do the trick. But for scratches more power is needed. I just ordered the Glass Polishing Kit #GPK10 from Caswell as well as some Cerium Oxide refill. I hope to have it in hand and tested by this weekend. I am looking to get some very fine / micro pits out of my windshield. The dealer, as usual, decides that it is my driving habits and not the glass. But being as my other car had 45K miles on it and no issues on the same routes, you would think a new car with 5K would have even less issues. But now at 31K I am having some difficulties seeing at sundown and sunset when the angles are just right for reflections. Anyway, I will post up my results as soon as I can.

Did you use the Glass polish by hand? The kit comes with special 4" abrasive pads for the PC. They`re pretty abrasive pads too. I can see how rubbing the polish by hand wouldnt` do anything. But I`d suprised if using a spot pad with glass polish didnt` work at all....
    Pinnacle Detailing - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-T TypeM

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=2012

I`ve had great luck with this get the polishing wheel as well ...If it`s really deep (feel with fingernail) It might not remove it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnab
    Did you use the Glass polish by hand? The kit comes with special 4" abrasive pads for the PC. They`re pretty abrasive pads too. I can see how rubbing the polish by hand wouldnt` do anything. But I`d suprised if using a spot pad with glass polish didnt` work at all....

Yup, used the PC to apply and really worked it hard, but no change at all. Even feeling the polish between my fingers it felt utterly smooth, almost like lotion. I guess I was expecting something more abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bad venge
    http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=2012

I`ve had great luck with this get the polishing wheel as well ...If it`s really deep (feel with fingernail) It might not remove it

I think this is the same kit I ordered from another source. Same buffing wheel and looks to be Cerium Oxide in powdered form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I`d put in my $.02. Many auto insurance policies have glass coverage, if the scratches are truly on the edge of being dangerous you may be able to get it replaced for free. I have had this done before and it`s must easier than trying to polish out the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was under the impression that they`d fix the glass, but not replace it for free. To get it replaced wouldn`t you have to pay the deductible?
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    My insurance replaces the glass with no deductible.

Post Thanks / Like
    ballpeen hammer = new windshild sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts exactly... With Zero deductible.. it may be the best option. :secret

Post Thanks / Like
    Barkeeper`s Friend + sponge and water and elbow grease. Removed hellacious water spots from my new ride.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    The Autoglym Glass Polish isn`t a super abrasive polish since it only contains mild polishing agents and it is an excellent glass cleaner. Cerium oxide is a true abrasive polish specifically intended for glass. The AGP is lotion-like and contains solvents that will really cut thru any hazy window buildup.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get buildup off the windows with a bunch of different polishes (Mike Phillips reccomends Meg`s #4), but to polish out actual scratches, I haven`t seen anyone with a satisfactory process yet. I`d try Jimmie Jam`s "polishing" method, just make it look like vandals did it (works even better if you have teenaged neighbors that you don`t like).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information