Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Coral

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont where this should be posted, I was listening to some Jan and Dean music (Drag City), I`m assuming there wasnt a lot of wax to choose from back in the 60`s. Anyways, here are some lyrics from the song. :dance

Burn up that quarter mile

Verse 1:

Just tuned my car, now she really peels

A-lookin` real tough with chrome reverse wheels

A Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty

Gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptim
    I dont where this should be posted, I was listening to some Jan and Dean music (Drag City), I`m assuming there wasnt a lot of wax to choose from back in the 60`s. Anyways, here are some lyrics from the song. :dance

Burn up that quarter mile

Verse 1:

Just tuned my car, now she really peels

A-lookin` real tough with chrome reverse wheels

A Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty

Gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City

Yep, I used the stuff on a beautiful 1961 Honduras Maroon Corvair Monza as well as the Black 1964 Chevelle SS 327 that followed it. It was a two step process -- polish and wax. It was a great wax, but really hard to apply and remove. All by hand of course. So much for the "good old days`.

Tom -- age 63 and still waxin` strong.
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the infomercial. Guy with a bowtie right? Light`s the cars hood on fire to show the protection? I dont remember if it was for clearcoat or not (I think not)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCGP
    I remember the infomercial. Guy with a bowtie right? Light`s the cars hood on fire to show the protection? I dont remember if it was for clearcoat or not (I think not)

I think you`re talking about Auri. At least, I think that`s how it`s spelled. Friend of mine bought it back in the late eighties. I asked him how it was. He said it was ok.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Coral is a company, rather than a product now. (Actually, it`s part of a bigger company..."Blue Coral-Slick 50," which is itself owned by Quaker State.) Blue Coral has had a few "As seen on TV" products over the years. Autofom and Touchless come to mind.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Coral cleaner and sealer is from bygone days. It did a super job on the lacquer paint that was used on car in the 50s and 60s. It was hard to use. The cleaner , you put on and rubbed until it disapeared. You had to do this 2 to 3 times on every surface on the paint. The sealer you put on a small area . If you put it on to big a area it would not come off. It was a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Blue Coral on `60s Cadillac black lacquer was about as impressive as anything I`ve *EVER* seen. Nothing we do today (modern products, modern b/c paint) looks quite as good IMO, but, well, eye of the beholder and all that (plus I can`t discount that rose-tinted rearview effect...).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tguil
    Yep, I used the stuff on a beautiful 1961 Honduras Maroon Corvair Monza as well as the Black 1964 Chevelle SS 327 that followed it. It was a two step process -- polish and wax. It was a great wax, but really hard to apply and remove. All by hand of course. So much for the "good old days`.

Tom -- age 63 and still waxin` strong.

The 64 Chevelle Malibu SS had a 283 ci engine IIRC. That was my first brand new car. I had a red one. I also had a 66 SS396. Great cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear there`s some old dudes around like me, I mean, holy cow, Jan & Dean ! One of my favorite duo`s from high school days! :woohoo:

My first car, are you ready for this, was a `56 Studebaker Hawk! Had 120,000 miles when I bought it right after graduation! Now those were the days!

Post Thanks / Like
    jfelbab - Ah, the 64 Chevy Malibu SS. Man, would I love to have one now!

PS: love your music link. Nice touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    The 64 Chevelle Malibu SS had a 283 ci engine IIRC. That was my first brand new car. I had a red one. I also had a 66 SS396. Great cars.

I bought my new 1964 Chevelle in June, 1964. The 327 was a late in the model year option. You could get the 327 engine in either 250 or 300 hp. I also had a 1967 SS 396. Both ran like stripped a** apes. I still smile when I think of them.

My Dodge Hemi and my Harley Davidsons are almost as much fun, but not quite.

I lived fast, but fortunately I didn`t die young. Now I`ll leave a butt ugly corpse.

Back to Blue Coral. It was actually a Cadillac accessory that you bought at GM dealers. At least I did. After you removed the wax, the directions said to wet it down with cold water and wipe it dry. This was to "set up" the wax. Back then we applied polish and wax with soft cotton rags (old t-shirts) and removed them with cotton cheese cloth.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Groove
    Glad to hear there`s some old dudes around like me, I mean, holy cow, Jan & Dean ! One of my favorite duo`s from high school days! :woohoo:

My first car, are you ready for this, was a `56 Studebaker Hawk! Had 120,000 miles when I bought it right after graduation! Now those were the days!

Now we`re really getting sentimantal. My first car was a 1956 Ford club coupe. It had a 1957 interceptor engine in it. I ran two four barrel carbs for while. But then gas was probably 25 cents a gallon and so was a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Damn, I`ve got to quit this thread. It`s bringing tears to my eyes.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Groove

I loved the lines of the Hawk. Quite a car back then.

My first car was a 1956 Buick Roadmaster. I bought it from an old geezer who couldn`t drive any longer. This was in 1959 when I turned 16. I`m 63 also.

Top 10 tunes of 1959.

1. Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin

2. Kansas City - Wilbur Harrison

3. What`d I Say - Ray Charles

4. 16 Candles - the Crests

5. A Teenager In Love - Dion and the Belmonts

6. I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos

7. Sleep Walk - Santo & Johnny

8. It`s Just A Matter Of Time - Brook Benton

9. There Goes My Baby - Drifters

10. Come Softly To Me - The Fleetwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tguil
    I bought my new 1964 Chevelle in June, 1964. The 327 was a late in the model year option. You could get the 327 engine in either 250 or 300 hp. I also had a 1967 SS 396. Both ran like stripped a** apes. I still smile when I think of them.

My Dodge Hemi and my Harley Davidsons are almost as much fun, but not quite.

I lived fast, but fortunately I didn`t die young. Now I`ll leave a butt ugly corpse.

Back to Blue Coral. It was actually a Cadillac accessory that you bought at GM dealers. At least I did. After you removed the wax, the directions said to wet it down with cold water and wipe it dry. This was to "set up" the wax. Back then we applied polish and wax with soft cotton rags (old t-shirts) and removed them with cotton cheese cloth.

Tom

I remember the Blue Coral and the process of wetting the wax. It was a real PITA to remove as I recall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never did the Blue Coral. It was strictly a Simonize and Vista on my `66 red Dodge Chager. I did have a can of Liquid glass to use in a hurry. By the way I`ll be 61 tomorrow and still rubbing strong.

`

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information