Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Coral

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an unused Blue Coral kit circa 1980 that I was saving until I got a "really good" car. I`m not sure when that will be, but the sealer is all dried up and rattling around in the jar. The liquid still seems fine, I just shook it up. The box has a Channel Lumber price tag on it...$3.99 . Anybody have a black 60`s Cadillac?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teker
    Never did the Blue Coral. It was strictly a Simonize and Vista on my `66 red Dodge Chager. By the way I`ll be 61 tomorrow and still rubbing strong.

`

My mother and her sister (both big-block b-body MOPAR fans, both long gone...) repeatedly said how much they *hated* struggling with Simonize I learned about the Meguiar`s #7/#16 combo from them, they switched to it because it was easier than the Simonize.

And Happy B-day!

Post Thanks / Like
    wow....I`m only 28 and I still have bottles of Blue Coral paste and liquid somewhere in my garage.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeegr
    Blue Coral is a company, rather than a product now. (Actually, it`s part of a bigger company..."Blue Coral-Slick 50," which is itself owned by Quaker State.) Blue Coral has had a few "As seen on TV" products over the years. Autofom and Touchless come to mind.
    Actually not ture. Blue Coral is a brand name. Ecolab owns Blue Coral and their vehicle care division makes and distributes chemicals under the Blue Coral name.

Can you tell who I work for

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teker
    Never did the Blue Coral. It was strictly a Simonize and Vista on my `66 red Dodge Chager. I did have a can of Liquid glass to use in a hurry. By the way I`ll be 61 tomorrow and still rubbing strong.

`
    At one time Vista was the most popular wax next to Turtle Wax. I myself liked Dupont New Car Wax.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by -KGB-
    Actually not ture. Blue Coral is a brand name. Ecolab owns Blue Coral and their vehicle care division makes and distributes chemicals under the Blue Coral name.

Can you tell who I work for
    Wow. According to the Blue Coral website, questions are directed to SOPUS Products Houston, TX, even though it says it`s based in Cleveland OH. Ecolabs isn`t even mentioned on their website.

http://www.bluecoral.com/history_frame_link.htm

So, Ecolabs took over the Blue Coral name in 1999? (And the Black Magic/Westleys/RainX names )

I wonder why it wasn`t mentioned on the website? Or is Ecolabs only involved with the car wash aspect (wash bays etc.) and the bottles of wax/cleaner/protectant/etc. are products of another company (Pennzoil/Quaker State)?

I wonder if one owns the name and then licences it to the other?

*Edit* I see that Pennzoil-Quaker State have given exclusive license of tradmarks etc. to Ecolabs to use in the tunnel wash/bays business, while retaining the consumer products catagory, as of Jan. 12/99.

On another note, is anyone familiar with the Lincoln-Mercury offering of Blue Coral Preservative Sealer? I have a jar (White milk glass, 80 grams). Looks/smells the same as the GM tin I have (227g). Did Cadillac have a different can, or is it the "AC Delco" White/black/red labeled can? :nixweiss
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    From poking around Ecolabs`, Blue Coral`s and SOPUS Products` (Pennzoil-Quaker State) websites it would appear that Ecolabs provides products under the Blue Coral brand name to the commercial car wash industry while Blue Coral brand consumer products are part of the Pennzoil-Quaker State family of companies.

Some Ecolabs Blue Coral products:

Blue Coral® Velvet Cut™

Blue Coral® Quick Cut™

Blue Coral® Créme Protectant (dressing)

some Sopus/Pennzoil-Quaker State Blue Coral products:

Blue Coral® Professional Car Wash Gel

Blue Coral® Carnauba Cleaner Wax (Liquid & Paste)

Blue Coral® Self WaxTM No Buff Car Wax

Blue Coral® Scratch Remover

Blue Coral® Blue Poly® One-Step Polish and Sealant

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ecolab also owns the NASCAR line of detailing products. We all got samples but the only thing I cared for was their rim cleaner. Rest was average at best. Its fun though because I get samples of things that they are working on in lableless containers and get to test them out. Last thing was a tire dressing that was so so. Consistancy of 303 but did not last as long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah...Blue Coral Blue Poly...a guy I used to work with 25 years ago waxed his car with that every week...he should be an Autopian...are you out there, TC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Tom,

Where can I find Blue Coral and Sealer from yesteryear? I was lucky enough to locate and purchase an original, unopened kit last year on Ebay. No luck since then.

Thanks,

Dave - - age 58 and still waxing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, you guys sure like blue coral paste huh?

I found a relatively unused can of blue coral paste wax in the garage. Dunno how old but I would say atleast 12-15 years old and looked brand new, it was still soft and wet.:chuckle: I tried it one my passenger door. It applied okay, but removing it was a total PITA. I went through I think 2-3 micofibers for that one door because they got loaded up so fast. Did I mention how hard it was ro remove? I felt like I was trying to buff sand paper. I literally had to use two hands. One to apply pressure and the other to drag the cloth across the paint.

I threw the can away after that. I would of sent it to you guys for free haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, Blue Coral. I used it on the `64 Sunbeam Alpine. Blue Coral kept the Alpine looking really sharp.

Later on, Dennis Weaver from Gunsmoke fame, used to advertise Autofom with Fomblin. That was used to shine up Nasa rockets because Dennis Weaver said that in the commercial so I had to try it on the next car, the Toyota Supra.

On one level, nothing`s changed really. I`m still an easy touch for a good spiel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it in 1967 to wax my dinosaur, well it was a 67 Pontiac Grand Prix.

With a separate cleaner and then the wax it was imho the best at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh 2 stage Blue Coral.

The liquid was a "burnisher" more like RMG where it has some solids in it but would separate out with the solids on the bottom and the petroleum distillates rising to the top like salad dressing. If you didn`t use a rotary with a lambs wool bonnet (there was no such thing as an orbital) you were a masochist. I can still smell it-open the bottle and kill some ozone.

The paste was real greasy and you HAD to buff (and I mean BUFF) it off wet-or else get out the belt sander. You could only do a small square at a time- not even a panel- as the paste would flash dry quickly.

A new BC wax job would shed water like Opti-Coat- for about a week. Absolutely no staying power, but nothing at the time had any longevity to it.

You can see from my avatar that BC private labeled their 2 stage kit to GM. You could buy it at the Cadillac parts counter.

Then the owner sold out to a conglomerate and although the name stuck around, the products were beyond Kaka.

Thanks for the memories.

BD

Post Thanks / Like
    Still using Blue Coral Autofom with Fomlin A on my 2003 Durango. It actually goes on easy, comes off easy and lasts pretty long for my beater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information