Post Thanks / Like
    Okay this might sound like a stupid question, forgive me if it is!

Would it be okay to use say #81 and #7? Or would they get in each others way?

What if a person used #20, #26, #98 and NXT (I know its not professional series but none the less) as a combination of sealants on one car. Would there be any difference or is it just best to stick with one or maybe two?

The reason I ask is because I have an abundance of Meguiars professional series products and I am trying to figure out (I`m willing to experiment) the best order for a deep shine in my 01 true blue V6 Mustang.

Here are the products I own:

NXT

Given what I have, what should I do? Last summer I used #9, #7 and #26 and it came out nice. But I want to try something different and hopefully this time have a better surface free of swirls and maybe have it be a bit more reflective.

I have a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, with white, yellow and grey pads for application.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    The number 83 with a polishing pad (possibly cutting if need be), followed by the number 82, then NXT should produce a really nice finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you trying to change about the paint? I realize you want the amazing shine, but do you have swirls or staining or anything that you are trying to address? If not, you could start with #82 or #9, then use #81 or #7. I`d probably go with NXT of the products you listed, though MPPP has a lot of shine to it. You could top with #26 for extra depth, but IMO it has a soft shine. The look NXT leaves is pretty impressive, though. It`s hard to not be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

What are you trying to change about the paint? I realize you want the amazing shine, but do you have swirls or staining or anything that you are trying to address? If not, you could start with #82 or #9, then use #81 or #7. I`d probably go with NXT of the products you listed, though MPPP has a lot of shine to it. You could top with #26 for extra depth, but IMO it has a soft shine. The look NXT leaves is pretty impressive, though. It`s hard to not be happy with it.

I`m sorry, I forgot to mention that my car has some surface flaws! For some reason, a lot of Mustangs have this problem. When the sun hits the doors it is full of swirls. I`ve lightened them up considerably compared to what they used to be, but still can`t quite get rid of them. Thank you all for your help.

Michael

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MichaelB21,

With the PC, the most aggressive Meguiar`s recommends is the #83 DACP with our W-8006 foam polishing pad. It looks like your using another companies pads so you`ll have to figure out a comparable pad.

Most people when trying to remove surface defects with the PC,

Move the PC to fast over the surface

Run the PC to slow

Don`t apply enough pressure

Work on these three areas, then follow the #83 with a less aggressive product like the #82 or the #9 and then apply your favorite wax. Apply two thin coats.

Try this...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Hi MichaelB21,

With the PC, the most aggressive Meguiar`s recommends is the #83 DACP with our W-8006 foam polishing pad. It looks like your using another companies pads so you`ll have to figure out a comparable pad.

Most people when trying to remove surface defects with the PC,

Move the PC to fast over the surface

Run the PC to slow

Don`t apply enough pressure

Work on these three areas, then follow the #83 with a less aggressive product like the #82 or the #9 and then apply your favorite wax. Apply two thin coats.

Try this...

Mike

Mr. Phillips,

I am honored that you of all people have responded to my post! I`ve heard your name thrown around a lot when researching Meguiars products and so on. Thank you for your reponse!

The pads I have are from properautocare.com, are you familiar with them? I have some yellow cutting pads that I used with the abraive products like #9 and #83.

I think that my problem might have been I was going too fast with the #83. What is the right speed setting and how fast should I be going over the surface?

I was also under the assumption that you don`t want to apply pressure to the PC and just let it work under its own weight. Is this not true?

Thanks again!

Michael

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael,

thanks for the kind words, but I`m no Guru, just a guy who really likes to polish paint and try my best to help others get the best results from their time, money and efforts.

I don`t know if I have the pads from ProperAutoCare or not, I`m sure I have some of them somewhere. (I have a lot of pads).

What are you working on?

In most, not all but most cases, you can use the #83 on the 4.0 to 5.0 setting with about 4-5 lbs of pressure and if you spend enough time, you can remove a majority of light scratches and swirls.

On some paints, the #83 on a polishing pad and too much pressure can micro-mar the finish. These same two products on a rotary will remove the micro-marring and that`s the difference between a rotary buffer`s action and the PC. the PC is good, but sometimes it just cannot offer the same type of polishing action the rotary can. The good news is you an often remove the micro-marring with a finer cleaner/polish.

Polishing paint is an art form, it takes experience, the right tools and techniques and the human elements of caring and passion for what your doing.

the 6.0 setting is too fast in my honest opinion for most, not all, but most PC procedures and most people. It will also loosen the Velcro from the foam over time.

As far as pressure goes, for applying pure polishes and all waxes but cleaner/waxes, just a little more pressure than the weight of the machine is fine. But for actually removing defects, you need to apply 4-5 lbs of pressure. You should just hear the motor engage, but not bog down.

It`s too bad you cannot attend one of the Detailing Classes here at Meguiar’s, in about 15 - 20 minutes, I could show you most of what you need to know to produce better results than most detailers.

Terry Richards, our Professional Rep for the State of Washington is a top notch detailer also and I could check with him to see if he has any detailing clinics coming up.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Hi Michael,

thanks for the kind words, but I`m no Guru, just a guy who really likes to polish paint and try my best to help others get the best results from their time, money and efforts.

I don`t know if I have the pads from ProperAutoCare or not, I`m sure I have some of them somewhere. (I have a lot of pads).

What are you working on?

In most, not all but most cases, you can use the #83 on the 4.0 to 5.0 setting with about 4-5 lbs of pressure and if you spend enough time, you can remove a majority of light scratches and swirls.

On some paints, the #83 on a polishing pad and too much pressure can micro-mar the finish. These same two products on a rotary will remove the micro-marring and that`s the difference between a rotary buffer`s action and the PC. the PC is good, but sometimes it just cannot offer the same type of polishing action the rotary can. The good news is you an often remove the micro-marring with a finer cleaner/polish.

Polishing paint is an art form, it takes experience, the right tools and techniques and the human elements of caring and passion for what your doing.

the 6.0 setting is too fast in my honest opinion for most, not all, but most PC procedures and most people. It will also loosen the Velcro from the foam over time.

As far as pressure goes, for applying pure polishes and all waxes but cleaner/waxes, just a little more pressure than the weight of the machine is fine. But for actually removing defects, you need to apply 4-5 lbs of pressure. You should just hear the motor engage, but not bog down.

It`s too bad you cannot attend one of the Detailing Classes here at Meguiar’s, in about 15 - 20 minutes, I could show you most of what you need to know to produce better results than most detailers.

Terry Richards, our Professional Rep for the State of Washington is a top notch detailer also and I could check with him to see if he has any detailing clinics coming up.

Mike

Hello Mr. Phillips,

Thanks for all your help! I would love to attend a Meguiars detailing clinic!

I am going to keep your tips in mind the next time I go to work on my paint (probably this upcoming week).

It is a 01 Ford Mustang. Here is a picture:

This was after some surface prep (83 and 9), #81 and #98. I still feel there are too many flaws in the surface, which is why I think I might have rushed or not been thorough enough with the 83 and 9.

Forgive the orange peel.

Michael

Thread Information