Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is this guy at work who bought a new white car a few months ago. He told me that he wouldn`t need me to detail it ever because he would take such good care of it. HA! Anyway, he ended up driving down a freshly tared road a few weeks ago and it sprayed all the way up one side of his car. What a mess.... It was a fine mist of black crap all over the two doors and all over the side skirt and back bumper. The crap was even on his trunk. It was like he hit a puddle of ashphalt sweat or something. I told him that I could take care of it for him and he said he would have to wait till he had some money.

Long story short, I got to do the car today. I thought I would try ABC first. Didn`t work. Then I broke out the clay. It worked but it was such slow going that I started to think about the merits of breaking out the PC. I played `eeny meeny miney mo` with my bottle of DACP and AIO. AIO won so I used that. I used a yellow CMA pad and it seemed to work pretty well. It was going faster than the clay was going anyway.

I zipped out the side of the car except for the bottom skirt and bumper. It was just too thick on those areas. That was when I remembered my can of Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. I thought I`d give it a shot. I sprayed the area right by the tire where the spray started and moved all the way to the back of the car and sprayed the bumper too. I let it sit for about 5 mintues while I went inside for a drink. When I came out the areas I sprayed were an orange-ish brown color and dripping off the car. The tar just wiped away with a blue shop towel at that point!! All that work with the ABC, clay, and AIO wasted!! I could have just sprayed down the side of the car with a can of that stuff and wiped it right off!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Oh well.... I`m finally sold on a product that I`ve been sold on for a year. I`ve been using it strictly for tree sap and bugs for the last year. I haven`t ever run into this kind of a tar problem where I needed to use it. Now I know that it really does work on Tar as well as Bugs and Sap.

If you see the yellow can of Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover on a shelf somewhere then I would recommend you buy it. You may not need it often, but it works on everything it says it works on. It is amazing stuff. :xyxthumbs

Sorry for the lack of pics. I didn`t even think about taking before and after pics of the damage. I thought that the clay would take it all off. Little did I know..... I need to find a bucket of tar and paint the side of a car with it so I can show you some good before and after pictures or something. lol
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the TW to work well on fairly fresh stuff, but had trouble with stuff that has been on the paint a while. I used it a lot for tar, rarely for bugs and sap. Works great for what we have to pay for it, and lasts forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this stuff before and I was really skeptical but like you said, it`s just apply and wipe. I had tar all over the inside lip of my rim and I scrubbed, and scrubbed and nothing. I put this stuff on, let it sit for like 30 seconds and it just wipes away.

Works well on bugs too.

I give it :up :up since it`s so cheap and so effective

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought at can at Kmart for like $3.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta get some of that. I`ve got tar on my rims that will not come off! At least it`s on the inside where you can`t really see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the spray bottle version of TW, and that stuff is awesome!!:xyxthumbs A couple spritzes and a quick wipe, and the tar is GONE!

Image link below...

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Slightly Modified) - Black
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - Black Metallic
    2012 Yamaha Stryker - Red Metallic
    2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Red Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got both TW and Tarminator by Stoners and I prefer the Tarminator. TW actually does pretty well though.

Post Thanks / Like
    ive been using this stuff for awhile and i love it, takes bugs right off

Post Thanks / Like
    How does TW B&TR compare to, say, a product like paint thinner or acetone? Acetone is effective in removing tar and is unduly harsh to paint. I would be concerned using a product harsher than ABC, clay, and AIO. What does the TW smell like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not that its harsher than ABC, clay, and AIO. Its just more effective. Use the right product for the job, right? I should have used tar remover from the get go. Those other products were working but they just weren`t going to cut it when the area was solid black from the tar. They worked on areas that were just spray drops of tar but I didn`t figure it would be very effective on the skirts that were just solid.

It doesn`t have a paint thinner smell to it. They scent it with something so it doesn`t stink but I can`t place the smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    This must be a different product than what I have. I have the TW Bug and Tar Remover but it is a liquid not a spray. It kind of reminds me of a liquid wax consistancy. I`m not impressed with this at all. I have to use a lot of the product combined with LOTS of hard rubbing.

Must be a different formula.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Tar Remover stuff is great. I had some tar on my wheels and I scratched lightly with my fingernail. The tar did not budge and I did not want to mark the clear.

I have the 3M Tar & Grease Remover in both can and spray. The can is labeled something else though. I used the can and sprayed it lightly. Literally, 15 seconds later, the tar was breaking down. A quick wipe and rinse later, and all is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine this can being yellow and this is the product I`m talking about. I`d uploade it again but apparantly I`ve already posted the picture of it somewhere on here already. Its really nice stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, after all this hull-a-ba-loo about the Turtle Wax product I went to Autozone tonight because my 1z bug remover wasn`t cutting it after a 600 mile trip through the big bug land of wisconsin. Outside the store I tried a little and WOW. So I went in and bought 3 more cans (make a lot of trips through bug country).

Now I noticed it is made from petrolium products. Even though it says it`s safe for clear coat, I have a hard time believing this isn`t stripping off sealants.

What has anyone out there found regarding the TW product and stripping sealants and acrylic coatings?

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Post Thanks / Like
    "What has anyone out there found regarding the TW product and stripping sealants and acrylic coatings?" I bet it removes most coats of whatever is on the paint, if the backyard "Lab Test" is of any value. Get your favorite product, and put some on your finger. Now, try to wipe if off with a cloth. Get some TAR on your finger, and try to wipe it off. Try to wash out tar, from a cloth, with Dawn(Sealant, Oil, And wax remover)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information