Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Incredisponge for ONR/rinseless

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    One bucket or two? I`m always interested in people`s ONR procedure.
    I was using a one bucket today, I do use two when it is really dirty. I do pre treat with waterless from a spray bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I want to switch over from the GD wash method to the one bucket method as far as rinseless washing is concerned.
    I just didn`t like the fact that I had so many MF`s to wash w the GD method. Just knowing that I had to wash a load of MF`s after every wash was sort of discouraging me from doing rinseless washes.

I know everyone loves the Big Red Sponge but I found this one and I`m wondering if anyone has any experience w it for ONR/rinseless washes.

https://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber...incredisponge/

It looks a bit smaller than the Big red Sponge which I like and I`m placing an order w Car Pro soon anyway so....
    I still have 4 or 5 dirty towels with the Big Red Sponge because I use multiple drying towels which are picking up much of the dirt. Just as easy to wash 10 towels as 5 for me, so I went back to the multiple towel method.

Post Thanks / Like

I use two bucket with ONR, and a wash mitt. Never see my solution getting dirty, and I`ve been happy with the result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam View Post
    I still have 4 or 5 dirty towels with the Big Red Sponge because I use multiple drying towels which are picking up much of the dirt. Just as easy to wash 10 towels as 5 for me, so I went back to the multiple towel method.
    I am sorry to tell you that your drying towels should not be dirty. I make sure to overlap each section that I wash so the drying towels are clean. A dirty towel will also likely have contaminants that will scratch or damage your paint. I have learned the hard way about this and had to re polish what I thought was paint that was being cleaned correctly but my method was flawed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander View Post
    I am sorry to tell you that your drying towels should not be dirty. I make sure to overlap each section that I wash so the drying towels are clean. A dirty towel will also likely have contaminants that will scratch or damage your paint. I have learned the hard way about this and had to re polish what I thought was paint that was being cleaned correctly but my method was flawed.
    If I use microfiber cloths to clean with ONR, I use about 5 16x16 on my small delivery van and 2 16x16 drying towels which stay clean. If I use the Big Red Sponge to wash, then I use 4-5 16x16 drying towels and ditch them as I fold to a clean side. Then the drying towels get dirty. Why would they scratch, they are wiping up the ONR which has encapsulated the dirt? Are you able to wash with the Big Red sponge and not pick up dirt when drying?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the micro fiber mitt,bone,or micro fiber chenille types. I still have not tried the sponges. I forgot to mention another tip that has worked for me is to use a demoted micro fiber towel folded in quarters to clean the bottom 2" and the undersides and mud flaps. These areas seem to always have road grime that needs special attention and will trash your good mitts. I also use a demoted towel for drying these areas as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I use two bucket with ONR, and a wash mitt. Never see my solution getting dirty, and I`ve been happy with the result.
    I was thinking about doing it that way but - do you feel your ONR solution is getting diluted given you`re rinsing your wash mitt in plain water then putting your wash mitt back in the ONR solution?

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the following doesn`t come across as contentious...

Quote Originally Posted by gspam View Post
    ... Then the drying towels get dirty. Why would they scratch, they are wiping up the ONR which has encapsulated the dirt?
    FWIW, I`ve learned to *NOT* put much stock in the "encapsulating" (scare-quotes intentional) abilities of rinseless washes. Maybe it works that way for others, but not for me even on hard clear. If I press something dirty (e.g., a soiled wash mitt or a MF) against my paint and move it under that pressure, the paint gets marred to some extent.

If a Drying Towel gets dirty from drying a regular panel (i.e., not some oddball situation like soiling from a missed spot in a doorjamb or under the hood) then IMO marring is awfully likely.

But hey, as long as the vehicle doesn`t get marred that`s all that counts. OTOH, if you have to polish out marring every year or three, then...well, I wouldn`t be satisfied but that`s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mique
    Short fibers make it much easier to clean than something with long ones...
    Yeah, shorter = more aggressive. I`ve trimmed some BHBs for that exact reason, to make them more aggressive.

BUT...and it almost certaianly depends on the vehicle, I have to use long-nap/bristle cleaning media to get down into deep/tight spots. Simply can`t get things clean down in there otherwise. Some require BHB bristels that`re well over an inch long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander
    another tip that has worked for me is to use a demoted micro fiber towel folded in quarters to clean the bottom 2" and the undersides and mud flaps. These areas seem to always have road grime that needs special attention and will trash your good mitts. I also use a demoted towel for drying these areas as well...
    School me, I must be missing something- doesn`t that result in those areas being treated less gently and thus being more prone to getting marred?

I know that others (Hi, Bill!) use "dedicated-to-area" wash media, but the notion somehow doesn`t make sense to me. Though yeah, I use different stuff for the underneath and certain areas in the engine compartments.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, using dedicated wash mitts for different areas always yielded me marring free results for seven years that I`ve now owned my car. Granted I never let it get super dirty. Then I`d have to get majorly paranoid because my Honda clear is soft.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information