Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Trim Coating - Any you actually Like

So my test spot with Gyeon Trim applied late fall seems to have dialed back. I have not tested it to see if it`s still on, but after a wash yesterday, definately noticed falloff in gloss. Color is eh.....I applied this test spot back in November. ADS = let ADS sit for 2 days, and then Gyeon`ed it After putting on Gyeon, I felt that black that ADS gave the trim looked more gray, but the trim was glossy and super hydrophobic. A BIT too glossy, even after doing a wipe post application.

2 things I hate most is detailing trim and cleaning up those exhaust tips...
    Anything to help me prolong it, is a + in my books.

Be curious. What camp do you fall in for trim. Coat or no coat....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Coating - Any you actually Like

I actually like Opti-Trim (At least on new cars). Simple to use and doesn`t change the look too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad Opti-Trim is PRO only
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Is the Geyon too pricey, or too much of a hassle to apply, to just redo it after all those months?

Doesn`t it last significantly longer for you than a Trim Sealant like UTTG+? (That`s what I use on the vehicles that get such treatment, the others just get their trim done with some kind of Drying Aid which is usually sufficient.)

Post Thanks / Like

The test spot I did - I did not like it.
    It`s very viscious and thick on product application. Tacky viscious
    Gloss was too much, even after 2 buff off
    I applied ADS and actually gave it 2 days before coating, just to let anything dissapate/disappate.
    Immediate after Gyeon trim, it went from black to a dark gray finish....

UTTG - tried it a couple of times. Threw it out.
    Primarily use ADS, but I wanted to do both a ~dye trim product~, and then really seal it in with a ~coating type product.
    Like tires, gloss is a big concern, but of bigger concern is longevity....as this stuff doesn`t remove easily once on, I don`t want to be in a situation where one has ~trim coat~ chips and all....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    ..UTTG - tried it a couple of times. Threw it out. ....
    Gee, that surprises me given my satisfaction with it.

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, I don`t think I tried UTTG on trim alot to give it a fair handshake

Couple rounds on the tires.
    Maybe once on the trim

Was not overly impressed with the longevity or looks.
    On rubber, I would have chosen Z16 over UTTG...last just as long as the next splash, but it`s been a VERY long time since I use UTTG. Maybe some newer forumulations have trumped it

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- What kind of trim are we talking about here...rubber, textured plastic?

*I* never tried UTTG+ on tires, only rubber/plastic trim and seals (and most recently on satin-black metal wiper arms and the springs on their back sides).

The new version of UTTG+ has some detractors (compared with the original) but it`s working OK for me, though the vehicles I use it on haven`t been subjected to much. I was warned about dust attraction/retention, but I haven`t noticed anything awful so far. I like it so much that on the last Big Details of those cars I used it on *all* the rubber/plastic except the tires, even the hoses and exposed wiring along with those wiper arms.

On hard/textured materials (and even some softer rubber bits) I used to use KAIO+845 (or even KAIO+KSG, and the Jag`s rubber/plastic got Souveran), but I like the UTTG+ much better and I really do think it looks great.

Eh, different materials/prep...lots of reasons why YMMV.

The vehicles that get driven all the time mostly just get their black rubber/plastic wiped with ValuGard FastFinish or OCW or UQW. Lasts fine until the next wash and only takes a moment since I`m gonna dry them by wiping anyhow.

With the Trim Coatings, I expected people to say how it lasts for over a year or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon trim should not have been thick. I`ve never had trouble with it being very glossy. The surface should be wiped down with Gyeon prep first. Maybe you got a bad batch bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike. It`s not viscous when it comes out of the bottle - IF memory recalls. But when you spread it, it`s tacky as hell. Either it sets up too quick and or.....because I was doing it in the sun - afterall , it`s a ~coating...~. It wasn`t dead in the middle of summer sun, we`re talking mid afternoon low 50-,mid 40s , just pulled out the garage for 10 minutes type of heat.

I`ve always like to applied dressings and such on tires and plastic in the sun. Sorta in my head, that on a macro/minute level, the sun opens up it`s pores a bit and helps the product get in.

From the time of dropping the product onto the suede, just the initial wiping of it on said surfaces, it`s tacky. And OR some weird compatibility with ADS ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried GTECH and Gyeon`s dedicated trim prtoducts. I have also used a heat gun like you see on youtube.

The GTECH worked great, and I only tried the Gyeon out of my desaire to find something better. I still have both. I loved the GTECH on my Subaru, its been almost 2 years and it looks great. That same bottle did very little on my wide MDX. Why , No idea. Same Prep and same applier (ME). I tried Gyeon on the MDX and so far so good. The JEEP had a ton of trim, and I used Gyeon, and its still good. Jeep was done in April of 2015 and its still good. I did a Avalance with a friend, talk about a trim nightmare! Some spots took it andf other did not. We used a heat guy and it was luike magic, but too short lived for the time invested. I have a bottle of solution finish I am going to try when it gets warmer on his truck.

I feel with trim, unlike paint, there are a lot of variations in material and finish and porosity. Some products work better than others on different trim materials. Its like a polish, you need a few in your arcenal to cover all surfaces.. Next on my list to try is Nanolex Trim Rejuvinator. I have heard good things about the Nanolex line and have only tried the iron remover wheel cleaner and it was as good as any of the others and the wheel cleaner / iron remover is safe on paint and wheels so it eliminates Ironx and Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus-I love consolidating chemicals. I have 5 litters of IX and a few bottles of Sonax WCP to burn through but Ill get there.

My biggest problem is not too much different from the OP`s but I know I have a problem. I am never satisfied with a lot of things, car product performance being just one. I posted my relative satisfaction or diss-satisfaction with coatings not too long ago. at 60-100 dollars or more for 10-50 ml`s this stuff better work like the more outrageous marketing claims or I feel a bit ripped off depending on the outcome.

I am a tough customer to completely satisfy-I know it, and it sux bc I am hyper critical mostly because I work my butt off to deliver the best products, customer service and "experience" to my customers and when I am plunking down my hard earned money I expect the very same.

Man I apologize for getting this off topic. Have a good night all.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said!

Post Thanks / Like

Used Wolfgang exterior trim sealant on non textured trim from a lotus. beads really well if that matters....

DetailedByPrecision2804 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2840 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2853 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Carpro DLUX on porous rocker panel trim

DSC_1142 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Carpro DLUX on rear diffuser trim. porous but smooth texture as well

Click on image to view work
    Likes trashmanssd, Angus liked this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    mobiledynamics- What kind of trim are we talking about here...rubber, textured plastic?

*I* never tried UTTG+ on tires, only rubber/plastic trim and seals (and most recently on satin-black metal wiper arms and the springs on their back sides).

The new version of UTTG+ has some detractors (compared with the original) but it`s working OK for me, though the vehicles I use it on haven`t been subjected to much. I was warned about dust attraction/retention, but I haven`t noticed anything awful so far. I like it so much that on the last Big Details of those cars I used it on *all* the rubber/plastic except the tires, even the hoses and exposed wiring along with those wiper arms.

On hard/textured materials (and even some softer rubber bits) I used to use KAIO+845 (or even KAIO+KSG, and the Jag`s rubber/plastic got Souveran), but I like the UTTG+ much better and I really do think it looks great.

Eh, different materials/prep...lots of reasons why YMMV.

The vehicles that get driven all the time mostly just get their black rubber/plastic wiped with ValuGard FastFinish or OCW or UQW. Lasts fine until the next wash and only takes a moment since I`m gonna dry them by wiping anyhow.

With the Trim Coatings, I expected people to say how it lasts for over a year or something like that.
    For me the new vs old UTTG+ is a bit of a toss up. I thought the old looked better and was easier to spread evenly on tires. However the new seems to darken trim more, which was my only complaint about the old formula.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like

Nutbread- Those are interesting observations about the new/old UTTG+. I hadn`t really noticed that the newer version darkens better (on trim) but maybe that`s why I`m such a big fan of it, having used so much of the new stuff on the last two cars I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information