Post Thanks / Like

Durability Of Exterior Plastic Restoration Products

I`m looking to detail the lower rocker panels and bumpers on a Subaru Outback. I don`t want to say cost is no object, but durability is of primary importance. Solution Finish and GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer look like good candidates, although the C4 claim that it "lasts for up to 2 years" seems to be stretching it. I`ve used Black WOW in the past but I wasn`t impressed.

Any suggestions from personal experience would be welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability Of Exterior Plastic Restoration Products

I have had good luck with G4 and failed. Good luck on a Subaru, Acura MDX and Infiniti. Failed on an avalanche. The avalanche looked great after application. Then a few weeks later started looking poor and I felt I wasted my time.

Tried gyeon trim and and it`s great on all but the avalanche.

I think you will be ok with G4 on your Subaru. Worked great on my subie cowl.
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had Gyeon on my mom in laws Subaru Forester go almost 18 months. Outside 24/7 in the sun. Still looks like it did in 2003.

Post Thanks / Like

Trim is extremely finicky, one product may work great on one car and terrible on the next so its hard to definitely tell which product will work without doing a test spot. Having said that, in my experience Solution Finish will work better on most cars than the Gtech and it also does a better job in restoring the color. The gtech may last longer but in my opinion it should be applied as a preventitive measure before the trim has faded, as it does`t seem to have a lasting effect on its restoring factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autopia View Post
    Trim is extremely finicky, one product may work great on one car and terrible on the next so its hard to definitely tell which product will work without doing a test spot. Having said that, in my experience Solution Finish will work better on most cars than the Gtech and it also does a better job in restoring the color. The gtech may last longer but in my opinion it should be applied as a preventitive measure before the trim has faded, as it does`t seem to have a lasting effect on its restoring factor.
    Paul,

Have you tried Solution Finish topped with C4? Wondering if the two products work together to restore and then protect? I loved the look of solution finish. Just didn`t last as long as I would have liked.

Totally agree on certain plastics reacting differently to different products. I think Chris (Solution Finish) said that at one point the Avalanche had (5?) different plastic manufacturers making trim on one model. So even on one model you will get mixed results, too many variables involved in the composition of plastics. My 2006 Toyota Sienna b-pillar black trim looks like new. The black trim around the mirrors is faded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I`ve had Gyeon on my mom in laws Subaru Forester go almost 18 months. Outside 24/7 in the sun. Still looks like it did in 2003.
    Mike ... are you referring to the Gyeon Q2 Trim?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and for what it`s worth I have never had a problem with it on any trim I`ve done with it since it`s been available here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autopia View Post
    Solution Finish will work better on most cars than the Gtech and it also does a better job in restoring the color. The gtech may last longer but in my opinion it should be applied as a preventitive measure before the trim has faded, as it does`t seem to have a lasting effect on its restoring factor.
    Paul .... I should have mentioned the car`s only a year old (picking it up this week) so it`s not in bad shape. I`m just looking for something I don`t have to apply every other week that`ll dress up the plastic panels to keep them looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution Finish is for faded plastic trim primarily, though you could use it on new, but really new trim just needs protection. I would use one of the many coating products to protect new trim from fading. CarPro DLux is my go to Coating for new trim. I also use it over Solution Finish on faded trim to lock in the deep color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Paul,

Have you tried Solution Finish topped with C4? Wondering if the two products work together to restore and then protect? I loved the look of solution finish. Just didn`t last as long as I would have liked.

Totally agree on certain plastics reacting differently to different products. I think Chris (Solution Finish) said that at one point the Avalanche had (5?) different plastic manufacturers making trim on one model. So even on one model you will get mixed results, too many variables involved in the composition of plastics. My 2006 Toyota Sienna b-pillar black trim looks like new. The black trim around the mirrors is faded.
    They play well with each other. I can`t say how long it will last because I put it on my car that spends most of the time in the garage.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008, LEDetailng thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using gTechniq C4 for years on all of my cars over the past seven years including three Expeditions, 2 Hummers, 2 C6 Corvettes, 1 Ferrari 360 and 2 Lambo Gallardo`s. Just put it on my new 2017 Expedition last night. LOVE THE STUFF! I reapply a new coat once per year and all of the plastic looks like new. Keep in mind I live in the brutal Phoenix, AZ, sun and C4 continues on!

Thread Information