Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What coating to try next...

Kinda spending the off season trying coatings I haven`t yet used to figure out a `favorite` for use this summer. With a fleet of work vans/Ford Rangers from 2008 thru 2016 I have a variety of conditions from `toast` to `just needs light polish`. Nice to use these as test vehicles as I see them every day and can watch how they do. And a random high spot or smudge isn`t the end of the world.

So far have:
    1 with McKees Paint Coating
    1 with Cquartz UK
    1 with Gyeon Mohs (doing thus week)

Whenever a site drops a 25% off sale, I start looking for the next candidate. AG is doing 25% this weekend so looking for next candidate.

Right now I`m thinking Crystal Serum Light for the next one. Gtechniq seems to have a variety of cryptically named stuff so wondering CSL alone or with some other add-on? Kinda trying to keep around $100-$150 or so for each test as this is all self funded.

Others I`m considering going forward are:
    Optimum Gloss Coat
    One of the 22PLE Offerings
    Would like to try something from Beeds or IGL but not sure if I can get any of those.

Generally a 30ml bottle can get me 2 coats on a Ranger, probably 1.5 on an E250 van. A 50ml Cquartz UK made it thru 1 coat on a 2016 Ford Transit Extended last week with about 10ml to spare.

Have other vehicles with Wolfgang Uber, Kamikaze Miyabi and ISM so familiar with those.

Thoughts, suggestions? All input appreciated. I know what I`m using on my personal vehicles come spring, just looking for a coating that is mostly easy to apply for a relatively competent person (me) that will have good lasting performance without constant Autopian-like attention.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What coating to try next...

You crazier than me...........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, CerceS550 liked this post
    Thanks CerceS550 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

How bout Boyd coddington or dr Beasley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

csl but add exov3 on top
    its so good you cant even top it, just needs a wash and dry

I`ve been wanting to try gyeon mohs with bead on top

I do the same thing essentially but just to determine which coatings I want to offer next.

Brandt K.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    How bout Boyd coddington or dr Beasley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While the Beasley sounds like one to look at, guessing Coddington is just repackaged `something else? Never know however. Can get some Gloss Shop Ceramic for around $45...can`t find too much info on that one though.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used all the following:

1. C1/EXOv2
    2. PBL v1
    3. 22PLE
    4. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    5. Gyeon Mohs

I would say that the sickest water repellency was displayed by C1/EXOv2. The glossiest of them all has been Gyeon Mohs, which is my most recent. Both Mohs and C1 are sold as scratch resistant coatings, and that`s hard for me to gauge since I`ve become better over the years at washing my car more carefully and Mohs is the most recent. Mohs certainly isn`t resistant to swirls and scratches, as evidence by my recent experience at the Tesla service center. PBL had to be the easiest to apply, and it was very slick and hydrophobic from the get go, but it was the shortest lived coating in my experience. Wolfgang had to be the next easiest followed by 22PLE. C1/EXO and Mohs hardest to apply. C1/EXO because of the timing issues and humidity issues affecting both applications and Mohs because of the need to repolish a few high spots during the application.

If I were to coat again, I`d do Mohs for sure. The car looks fantastic. My wife`s car looks great with C1/EXO, and after a few applications of this combo, I got it "right" with her car, and it`s holding up at about 18 months now, topped with C2v3.

When it comes time to do both our cars again, it will be Gyeon Mohs. I understand the timing and high spot issues now -- I spread it on the hood in too large of an area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I`ve used all the following:

1. C1/EXOv2
    2. PBL v1
    3. 22PLE
    4. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    5. Gyeon Mohs

When it comes time to do both our cars again, it will be Gyeon Mohs. I understand the timing and high spot issues now -- I spread it on the hood in too large of an area.
    What`s the general thought on the timing? I`m guessing MOHS is gonna be a pretty short apply...wipe kinda thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Can get some Gloss Shop Ceramic for around $45...can`t find too much info on that one though.
    I can give you all the info you need. I spent 3 years developing it with my chemist. It is extremely easy to apply, very durable, slick to the touch, and gives a dripping wet finish. The next one will require a little more attention to application, gives a brighter finish, and has increased durability. Both can be applied to all non porous surfaces including glass.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I can give you all the info you need. I spent 3 years developing it with my chemist. It is extremely easy to apply, very durable, slick to the touch, and gives a dripping wet finish. The next one will require a little more attention to application, gives a brighter finish, and has increased durability. Both can be applied to all non porous surfaces including glass.
    Got any estimated release window for the next one?

Post Thanks / Like

What`s the general thought on the timing? I`m guessing MOHS is gonna be a pretty short apply...wipe kinda thing.
    I believe they are all temperature-humidity sensitive. But for me, Mohs flashed quickly. That`s why I got that one high spot that I had to polish. Gtechniq has a window of 3-12 hours between C1 and EXO - at least it did when I was applying. People complained of streaking after EXO was applied, and it may have been high spot related or timing related.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got any estimated release window for the next one?
    Right now I`m looking at Summer because we are working to release the rinseless wash without wax.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know what I`m using on my personal vehicles come spring, just looking for a coating that is mostly easy to apply for a relatively competent person (me) that will have good lasting performance without constant Autopian-like attention....
    What are you using on your personal vehicles?

I`ve got Wolfgang on three and happy with it. Ordered a new ZL1 and trying to decide what to go with on that when I get it.

Supposed to be built week of 17 April. Hyper Blue Metallic with new A10. Will match my LB C7.

Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......
    Likes EXPDetailing, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC View Post
    Ordered a new ZL1 and trying to decide what to go with on that when I get it.

Supposed to be built week of 17 April. Hyper Blue Metallic with new A10. Will match my LB C7.

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes SgtMajUSMC, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC View Post
    What are you using on your personal vehicles?

I`ve got Wolfgang on three and happy with it. Ordered a new ZL1 and trying to decide what to go with on that when I get it.

That is a stunning color!

I have WG Uber Ceramic (applied 05/2016) to our black 2016 WRX and 2004 black Corvette. It has performed nicely and the WRX is a year-round driver. They`ve been occasionally refreshed with Gyeon Wetcoat, Gyeon Cure and Kamikaze Overcoat, generally applied monthly during nicer weather in NE Ohio.

That said, had to replace wife`s daily driver last October so picked up a 2016 Civic Coupe in Aegean Blue metallic. This car had Kamikaze Miyabi x 2 and Kamikaze ISM X 1 applied to it immediately upon receipt; will be a sparsely maintained car going forward so really wanted to encase it in as much as I could. Over the last 5 months of daily use in NE Ohio the consistent performance of the combo has exceeded anything I could have hoped for. It pretty much always stays as clean and shiny as could be expected...much more so than the Uber-coated cars did. Granted the application is 5 months newer on the Civic but remembering how the Uber cars did at similar points in its lifespan, the Kamikaze still exceeds in performance.

Did some cars last year with the McKees Paint Coating, a work van last month with CQuartz UK and another fleet vehicle last week with Gyeon Mohs. I wanna try to squeeze in another work vehicle soon with Gtecniq Crystal Serum Light topped with Liquid Crystal C2V3.

I see the above vehicles every day and 2 of the McKees coated cars regularly enough that by May of 2017 I should have a good idea of their petformance.

Will be redoing the Uber Ceramic vehicles this Spring with one of the above-mentioned products once I can make a determination on how they perform; so far the Kamikaze combo is the clear choice although I`m interested to see if the Gyeon Mohs can challenge it...as its a joy to work with.

The WG Uber Ceramic is an interesting item as it was released with a bit of early fanfare and used by many initially but mention of it seems to have diminished recently, whatever that may indicate.

My personal thoughts are that the WG may be a bit over-priced in comparison to some other more `common` coatings out there but doesn`t stand out enough to truly be a `value` play.

Also, there is something about the Kami ISM that really lifts metallic to another level...`polarizing` seems to be the word often used to describe it.

It just seems that the self cleaning characteristics of the Kami combo exceed the others; beading is nice and all but I`m more kinda a `sheeting` guy; here`s the Kami sheeting after a Gyeon Bathe wash about a month ago (4 daily driven winter months after application:

https://youtu.be/1Pmtgk2uy3Q

It`s all so subjective, however, so my views might not be valid in others scenarios. Two people can often look at the same thing and have vastly different opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I might just stick with the WG since I know all the ins and outs with it. Every car I see from Esoteric with the Myobi is stunning but they also have way more skills than me in prep.

Metallic..... it is in the name but I haven`t seen one in person and close up photos don`t show it. I suspect it is same GM color as Laguna Blue/blue my mind and they just used a new name for a new car...hyper blue metallic. No factual basis for that though. We will see. Blue is one of those colors than can show up twelve ways in a photo.

Ron- I am stealing that screen licker pic. Awesome.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......
    Likes Ronkh, VitreousHumor liked this post

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information