Post Thanks / Like

CQuartzUK Experience

So I coated my car with CQuartzUK this weekend.

I needed something for my daily driver that would last longer than the DG105 I was using.

My first application did not go very well.

I read the instructions and viewed videos and how-tos but I found that in the end I needed to do a very small test square like I would normally do for correcting so that I could get the right timing down for removal.

I kept reading about the "flash" time, but the problem with CQuartzUK (and maybe other coatings?) is there isn`t a traditional "flash" like you would have with a sealant or wax so visually it was very difficult for me to tell one way or another if the product had "flashed."

So ultimately I found that with my test square, at least on that particular day, I had to basically do a WOWA application.

I also found the supplied microfiber for removal to do a poor job. I decided to try one my own microfibers on the second go-round and it performed MUCH better and allowed me to buff off the coating without the smearing that I encountered with the supplied towel.

It was annoying that I had to buff off the 1st coat but at the same time impressive that I had to buff off the 1st coat.

I tried to remove the "high spots" which is, I don`t know... for me a weird definition, that I had left on the 1st try with a quick detailer. That didn`t work, so I tried a little IPA and that didn`t work either... so while annoying it was impressive that it withstood my attempts to remove it.

I`m hoping that spells longevity for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartzUK Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
    So I coated my car with CQuartzUK this weekend.

I needed something for my daily driver that would last longer than the DG105 I was using.

My first application did not go very well.

I read the instructions and viewed videos and how-tos but I found that in the end I needed to do a very small test square like I would normally do for correcting so that I could get the right timing down for removal.

I kept reading about the "flash" time, but the problem with CQuartzUK (and maybe other coatings?) is there isn`t a traditional "flash" like you would have with a sealant or wax so visually it was very difficult for me to tell one way or another if the product had "flashed."

So ultimately I found that with my test square, at least on that particular day, I had to basically do a WOWA application.

I also found the supplied microfiber for removal to do a poor job. I decided to try one my own microfibers on the second go-round and it performed MUCH better and allowed me to buff off the coating without the smearing that I encountered with the supplied towel.

It was annoying that I had to buff off the 1st coat but at the same time impressive that I had to buff off the 1st coat.

I tried to remove the "high spots" which is, I don`t know... for me a weird definition, that I had left on the 1st try with a quick detailer. That didn`t work, so I tried a little IPA and that didn`t work either... so while annoying it was impressive that it withstood my attempts to remove it.

I`m hoping that spells longevity for me.
    Which supplied towels did you try and use to remove the product, the suede?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have never like applying any variation of CQuartz. Application of GTechniq CSL is so much easier to use.

Post Thanks / Like

CQUK has a little bit of a learning curve but after a few panels it can be adapted to. Working in small sections helps out. Avi of CarPro has mentioned on Autogeek that UK can be wipe on wipe off. The temperature and humidity plays a factor with UK as it was designed for colder climates.

Those high spots you exhibited are some common things with various coatings. Polishing them off helps to remove them as you have already found it.

The included suede is not the best towel to use to level out the coating. The edgless 300 or the edgeless 365 microfiber towels from the rag company are good for leveling coatings. In a pinch the Costco towel is ok.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I used the provided suede towel for the first go-round... it was nowhere near as good as one of my regular microfiber towels.

And yes I had to literally do very small sections at a time so that I could wipe it off fast enough before it would dry.

I`ve read the PLE coating flashes more like a wax, which would be nice.

I`m just hoping I get a good amount of durability which I`m expecting since it was a bugger to get off!

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta go with what the Guz says. He`s got lots of experience with the CQuartzUK.
    I`ve used both the suede towel and microfiber to remove.The microfiber does much better.
    I let mine set up only two minutes.

Been lucky not to have any high spots.
    But also apply til it starts to flash just a little, then move on to my next application spot.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz UK experience

I had a similar experience the first time I used Cquartz UK. I probably let it sit too long and then it was brutal to level and remove high spots. I intentionally left a small patch (high spot) on the roof of my car to see how long it would endure. I think I coated that car 5 years ago. I can still see the high spot but nothing like when it was fresh.

I`ve had great results with the product. Have done two cars. By far the most durable product I`ve sampled so far, but certainly requiring some extra effort.
    Cars: bringing people together

Thread Information