Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Polisher question with short suspense

Background: I bought a GG6 and 3 inch DA when I first started detailing (about 2 years ago, but only do this occasionally due to work) and have recently discovered that on hard clear coats, they lack the ability to fully correct. I’m looking to upgrade to a 15mm but have a few questions.

I’ve already ruled out the Rupes due to the steep learning curve, or so I’ve read.

Question: Should I wait for the new Flex or get the BOSS G15? As far as the 3” goes, should I convert the GG6 to a 3” backing plate and only use that for correcting smaller areas or buy the Rupes mini?
    The short suspense is due to Autogeek have 15% off of the Griot’s polisher kit. Based on you guy’s recommendations coupled with my own I will make a decision tonight and order.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher question with short suspense

Steep learning curve? only polishers I`d worry about a steep learning curve with are rotaries. I think you`ll find a Rupes or Griots long throw DA to be exactly what you`re looking for. If you go with something like a flex 3401 there is a slight learning curve due to its forced rotation

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve read in forums where people pose the question as to buy a Flex or Rupes and, again from what I`ve read, there seems to be a learning curve as to pressure and technique with the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that I polish once, maybe twice a year, so I`m sure there is going to be a leaning curve regardless of which polisher I go with, however, no one seems to bring it up with any other polisher

Post Thanks / Like

[Insufferably pedantic note- "Steep Learning Curves" are *good* because they mean "lots of learning over little time". Apologies for being a jerk but this is a pet peeve of mine ]

Anyhoo...

Short version- if it were my money I`d put a 3" plate on the GG6 and buy the Boss15. NO question about it.

Longer version-

The GG 3" electric seldom satisfies people but their 3" pneumatic works OK (it`s what I`ve been using for spot-correction).

The GG6" will do the job, and faster than some other polishers by a long shot, but it does take a while. It works fine with a 3-4" pad.

I didn`t spend my $ for the Rupes mini, but my wife did get me one for Christmas so sure...if you don`t mind the expense it oughta be great IMO (even though I haven`t tried mine yet). But it`s not my choice recommendation in this case since you already have the GG6.

The GG Boss15 would be a great upgrade, again, if you don`t mind the expense (and I haven`t tried one of those either but people I respect love it).

I have/use/like the Flex 3401 but don`t think it`s a good idea as a *lot* of people don`t like it.

I would absolutely dissuade anybody from buying a rotary. Period. And I have two of `em and first started with one back in the `70s so IMO I know what I`m talking about. I never had issues with burning paint or anything like that, but it has a *shallow* learning curve with regards to leaving holograms and you`ll end up going back over with a RO/DA anyhow. And sometimes fixing holograms is incredibly difficult even though they`re "really shallow", BTDT for hours on end.

So I`d buy the Boss15. I might even do that myself despite having too many polishers already.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know what polishes you are using but perhaps it may benefit you to move onto the boss creams and boss pads. Possibly even consider the 5.5" pads. Also Griot`s introduced their same boss pads in 3". I am not sure if you are referring to the 3" Griot`s polisher.

There is also no steep learning curve going to a long throw. It`s a slight adjustment but nothing overly complicated.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your insight.

I`m not sure if I confused anyone but there is absolutely no way I`m going to get a rotary. I was speaking about the Flex XFE-15.

Post Thanks / Like

WashRinseRepeat- Ah, OK...thanks for schooling me as I don`t know from Flex`s current offerings and thus I *was* confused

Eh, I always say how I hardly ever do correction, but I still reach for the Flex 3401 enough (instead of the GG6, which sure *can* cut with the right stuff; I use M101) that I think you`d be glad you got the Boss15 in the long run. IMO you`d forget about the expense after a while but you`d never get over how much more you like it.

Why not recommend that new Flex? Because enough people I respect like the Boss15 and GG is a good company to do business with, especially when something goes haywire.

OK, enough out of me, I`d better get off this thread before I go on another rant Re Steep/shallow Learning Curves.

Post Thanks / Like

Short version- if it were my money I`d put a 3" plate on the GG6 and buy the Boss15. NO question about it.
    Ditto. I think this combination will handle 85% of situations you`ll run into.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the Boss 15.
    Took me about 1 min. to get used to the difference in power and cut ability. Sweeeet machine, best $$ I ever spent !
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Your current polishers should be up to snuff for anything

I agree on getting the Griot Boss compound/polish/seal lineup
    add some Lake Country thinpro pads...or maybe do same but convert GG6 to 3in and upgrade to a G15
    could always buy a 1in BP for the GG3 if that`s also what ya have

Post Thanks / Like

Polisher question with short suspense

I vote for the C237 eBay 15mm DA polisher. You can get it for like $46 delivered to your door from Beijing. If you don`t like it, it includes easy instructions on how to turn it into a ceiling fan or use it to cut your hair.

But seriously, go with Rupes. They invented this style of machine. There is no steep learning curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I vote for the Boss 15.
    Took me about 1 min. to get used to the difference in power and cut ability. Sweeeet machine, best $$ I ever spent !
    Admittedly I do not have a Rupes machine and suspect I`d love one were I too own it. That said and seconding Mary`s post, I too really like my Boss 15. It fits my hand well has the ability to handle marginal correction with ease and even tougher situations with the right pads, their correction cremes and the proper technique. I think there is good reason to buy this machine as a kit as the products do work well together. I`d buy this machine again.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, to everyone who replied.

After some consideration, your responses and a few PM`s, I`m going to pick up the G15 and convert my now 6" into a 3".

To those of you who suggested I switch to the BOSS pads, never really thought of that, so thank you. However with this limited time where polishers are discounted as well, I don`t what to pass it up just in case that doesn`t solve the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips ALWAYS points to Rupes as a system, beyond just referring to the color coded pads and polishes. Mike`s referring to how you`ll need the Rupes system, meaning other Rupes machines, to correct a whole car. If I were you, I would go for the Flex since it has a smaller rotation and can do more of any car than any Rupes can, except the Mini. The forced rotation makes the Flex a winner in my book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information