Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need advice for a basic GG6 setup: 2014 MB E350

Hi folks,

It has been a while since I`ve been on the forum and a lot has certainly changed. My Dad is looking to start taking care of the exterior on his newish Benz and I could use some help in coming up with a solid regimen for him. I should stress he has very limited experience with detailing and is looking for a relatively straightforward regimen. I`m hoping he doesn`t get frustrated and give up. The car is a BLACK 2014 E350 that is garaged but sees daily Florida sun, etc. There are plenty of swirl marks and spider webbing from dealership car washes but otherwise no major issues to report like deep scratches.

I`ve done some research to get reacquainted with the latest and greatest products and here is the direction I am currently considering:

Griots Garage 6" Polisher HD
    Buff and Shine 5" backing plate
    5.5" Buff and Shine flat pads (5 green, 3 orange, 2 black, 2 blue)
    2x Meguiar`s MF cutting pads
    HD Polish
    Quality MF towels
    P21S Wax

I haven`t decided on a compound to try but was thinking Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound since I have a leftover bottle. I keep coming across the Menzerna line in regards to the clear coat on the car (rock-hard ceramic?) and am wondering if that would be a better direction to explore. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice for a basic GG6 setup: 2014 MB E350

You mentioned that he wanted to get on a Regimen to take care of the exterior of the car. But you mainly posted up equipment for paint correction. If he is looking to get the vehicle paint corrected and then maintain it himself, I would approach this differently. From what it seems, your father can get impatient (If that seems cruel, I apologize). I would probably have a reputable local detailer fully detail his car. Then he can keep it clean and swirl free with a nice car care package. If you took this route I would purchase the following for him.

(3) 5 Gallon buckets w/ grit guards and Gamma seals (2 for paint and one for wheels)
    Aussie Wool Mitt
    Car shampoo of your choice. (A wash and wax like meguiars or adams should be good)
    A dozen or so Microfiber towels
    Wheel cleaner (Nanolex or Sonax)
    Wheel brushes (Preferably Wheel whoolies and a lugnut brush)
    Fender well brush
    Foam gun would definitely help with swirl prevention
    A good paste wax

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check this thread out.

How to use Griot`s Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

I would also consider the boss pads on the 5" backing plate and possibly the Griot`s creams. Folks have been liking them.

Ultimate Compound will also work as it is a really good compound.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh, screamng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Guz, I will take a look at that thread. TheDetailer, very good points.

I have a two bucket setup with grit-guards, soap, mitts, sonax wheel cleaner, wheel brushes, mix of meguiar`s pro line products, MF`s etc. that I will be giving to him since I won`t have a use for the next 1.5+ years. I am intrigued by waterless washing though. My folks are on well water and it is a nightmare. My Dad mentioned going to the local coin-op to wash then driving home (6+ miles) before wiping down at home with a QD...but I convinced him otherwise. Any quick thoughts on the waterless route? Like I said the car is rarely not immaculate so there wouldn`t be lots of dirt or debris to remove. He is a very anal guy (military) so I think this could be relaxing for him lol.

I think the basics should be covered. I had plenty of experience using a PC years ago and I feel confident I can get him up and running with a DA i.e. GG6.

Post Thanks / Like

Where in FL?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bltoe12345 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Guz, I will take a look at that thread. TheDetailer, very good points.

I have a two bucket setup with grit-guards, soap, mitts, sonax wheel cleaner, wheel brushes, mix of meguiar`s pro line products, MF`s etc. that I will be giving to him since I won`t have a use for the next 1.5+ years. I am intrigued by waterless washing though. My folks are on well water and it is a nightmare. My Dad mentioned going to the local coin-op to wash then driving home (6+ miles) before wiping down at home with a QD...but I convinced him otherwise. Any quick thoughts on the waterless route? Like I said the car is rarely not immaculate so there wouldn`t be lots of dirt or debris to remove. He is a very anal guy (military) so I think this could be relaxing for him lol.

I think the basics should be covered. I had plenty of experience using a PC years ago and I feel confident I can get him up and running with a DA i.e. GG6.
    For WW, there are several great options. But I`d recommend Wolfgang Uber.

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

Mix .5 oz with 24 oz of distilled water in a spray bottle. This one 16 oz container will last quite a while. Grab him a dozen or so plush edgeless microfibers and go to town.
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Where in FL?
    We`re in the Melbourne (Brevard County) area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    For WW, there are several great options. But I`d recommend Wolfgang Uber.

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

Mix .5 oz with 24 oz of distilled water in a spray bottle. This one 16 oz container will last quite a while. Grab him a dozen or so plush edgeless microfibers and go to town.
    Thanks for the tip. WW seems like a perfect solution for their water quality issues and degree of dirt normally on his car. Time to do even more reading. I forgot how overwhelming this hobby can be!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty close to PBMG
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

For the well water, you can purchase a CR spotless water filtration system if you really wanted to.

I personally don`t use Waterless wash regimens. I don`t like them. That is just my 2 cents though, many people have used them and have had awesome results.

I would recommend a rinse less wash though, I would use 2 buckets. Fill one bucket with clean water, then fill another bucket with microfiber towels or a wash mitt and the recommend amount of shampoo. And just wash it one panel at a time making sure to clean the microfibers/wash mitt frequently in the rinse bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty close to PBMG
    Yeah Stuart isn`t far at all. I often pass through on the way to WPB. I`m not that familiar with their operations though. Are they open to the public? Shop on site?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer718 View Post
    For the well water, you can purchase a CR spotless water filtration system if you really wanted to.

I personally don`t use Waterless wash regimens. I don`t like them. That is just my 2 cents though, many people have used them and have had awesome results.

I would recommend a rinse less wash though, I would use 2 buckets. Fill one bucket with clean water, then fill another bucket with microfiber towels or a wash mitt and the recommend amount of shampoo. And just wash it one panel at a time making sure to clean the microfibers/wash mitt frequently in the rinse bucket.
    I`ll start looking into rinseless options. I doubt he would be interested in going with a water filtration system but rinseless may prove to be a good compromise.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Stuart isn`t far at all. I often pass through on the way to WPB. I`m not that familiar with their operations though. Are they open to the public? Shop on site?
    THey used to have an order desk open to public

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll start looking into rinseless options. I doubt he would be interested in going with a water filtration system but rinseless may prove to be a good compromise.
    You can use Uber for both rinseless and waterless washing as an FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

The Menzerma line is great and you have microfiber pads so I would try 400 on the microfiber pads and finish up with 3500. Do a test spot to see what works, but that MB clearcoat is tough and I`m pretty certain this combo will work out very good.

Post Thanks / Like

THey used to have an order desk open to public
    If it`s still there (I think it is)
    You may want to take a run over there.... (they can give eye ball advice then)
    Likes r111 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information