Post Thanks / Like

Question about CSL

I have a couple cars to coat and was wondering if CSL would benefit from EXO on top. I also read that EXO needs 48hours to cure before water hits it. One car is my 2015 Mustang GT and the other might be a 2016 Black C7. I still need to talk to the guy with the C7. Also any tips on installing CSL or CSL+EXO would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about CSL

I have been testing CSL for a while now, and we started using it on customer cars this Summer.

CSL has performed very well without EXO on top on both of my test panels (one on my personal car - 6 months old, and one on my wife`s car - 9 months old). The coating is quite hydrophobic on its own, but EXO is said to be even more hydrophobic. If water beading is your #1 priority, then perhaps layering EXO is your best bet. I will also add that a US GTechniq Rep did say he would not top CSL with EXO because CSL is harder than EXO once finally cured, so to him it was more beneficial to have CSL as the only form of protection rather than a softer top coat just to enhance beading a little bit.

As far as application goes, it is pretty straight forward. Clean, decon, and correct the car prior. Ensure you do a thorough IPA or Panel Wipe cleansing before coating. Apply CSL to an applicator (we use the CarPro applicators) and spread onto a small area. Immediately wipe off with a clean towel, then a light pass with a 2nd clean towel if needed. Work your way around the car until it is covered. You will immediately notice how slick it is as you are wiping it off with your towels. It is so incredibly slick, that you can easily tell if you have missed any spots afterwards if you are wiping with C2 V3 or a QD because an uncoated spot will stop your towel in its tracks compared to a spot coated with CSL.

Retired Professional Detailer
    Likes trashmanssd, RaskyR1, DKumarm3 liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Thats what was confusing is some places its sold as a kit and then others say that it is great by itself. Thanks for the input. Looks like it will just be CSL unless customers want the extra beading effect and want to spend more money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CerceS550 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Thats what was confusing is some places its sold as a kit and then others say that it is great by itself. Thanks for the input. Looks like it will just be CSL unless customers want the extra beading effect and want to spend more money.
    I encourage you to do some testing on your own, but I`ve been very pleased with it. It has become one of our go-to products after such favorable results on my test panels and with the consistently great results on customer cars as well.

Here is a video I found comparing the hydrophobic properties of CSL (on passenger side) vs. CSL + EXO (on driver side). Skip to 1:28 if you don`t care to watch the application and listen to the presenter speak in another language

Likes CerceS550, imported_Cardaddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. I`m doing my Mustang and my GFs new SUV before I do any other cars. I have only used Wolfgang Uber Ceramic so far. It has been on my sister`s car for about 4 months and looks great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple cars to coat and was wondering if CSL would benefit from EXO on top. I also read that EXO needs 48hours to cure before water hits it. One car is my 2015 Mustang GT and the other might be a 2016 Black C7. I still need to talk to the guy with the C7. Also any tips on installing CSL or CSL+EXO would be great.
    short answer: yes

answer with pics/vid links: below

Holy sheet: EXO v CSL v CSL w/EXO - A longevity test

Brandt K.
    Likes RaysWay, CerceS550 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am NOT liking EXO v2 by itself...or maybe it just does not play well on top of Essence because its already fading out on me

Brandt K.
    Likes CerceS550 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used CSL/EXo for the first time 2 weeks ago. The car got hit with rain within 12 hours and it seems the coating is fine. Beads like crazy. The directions say 12 hours I think. Probably best to not let get wet if possible.

I would agree that exo would not last that long by itself. When you apply CSL, you can tell it really bonds solid to the paint. I noticed this because I let some areas dry too long and it`s pretty impossible to get off. I still have spots on the paint where CSL dried. EXO didn`t do that. Came off easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I am NOT liking EXO v2 by itself...or maybe it just does not play well on top of Essence because its already fading out on me
    How long did the EXO last before you started to see degradation?

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re going to spend $60 on exo, might as well spend $100 and get the CSL EXO kit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I have been testing CSL for a while now, and we started using it on customer cars this Summer.

CSL has performed very well without EXO on top on both of my test panels (one on my personal car - 6 months old, and one on my wife`s car - 9 months old). The coating is quite hydrophobic on its own, but EXO is said to be even more hydrophobic. If water beading is your #1 priority, then perhaps layering EXO is your best bet. I will also add that a US GTechniq Rep did say he would not top CSL with EXO because CSL is harder than EXO once finally cured, so to him it was more beneficial to have CSL as the only form of protection rather than a softer top coat just to enhance beading a little bit.

As far as application goes, it is pretty straight forward. Clean, decon, and correct the car prior. Ensure you do a thorough IPA or Panel Wipe cleansing before coating. Apply CSL to an applicator (we use the CarPro applicators) and spread onto a small area. Immediately wipe off with a clean towel, then a light pass with a 2nd clean towel if needed. Work your way around the car until it is covered. You will immediately notice how slick it is as you are wiping it off with your towels. It is so incredibly slick, that you can easily tell if you have missed any spots afterwards if you are wiping with C2 V3 or a QD because an uncoated spot will stop your towel in its tracks compared to a spot coated with CSL.
    I would agree with Zach CSL is very easy to use apply and remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Just pressure washed my car yesterday so I thought I would share these... hood has CSL on it. Not topped with EXO or anything else.

It might not have as high of a contact angle as some other coatings, but it still repels water like crazy and the beads slight right off when driving.

Thanks Ronkh, The Guz thanked for this post

Thread Information