Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone use Noxon for metal cleaning?

As a kid, I used Noxon to clean rust off of bicycle rims, and just about anything else. I was surprised to see this product still available, and was wondering if anyone out there currently uses it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone use Noxon for metal cleaning?

Wow

Forgot about this product. Thanks for the reminder.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Wow

Forgot about this product. Thanks for the reminder.
    it was pretty effective as a metal cleaner/polish......i`m not even sure why I remembered it all of a sudden

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got an old blue-and-silver metal can of Simonize Chrome Cleaner that has an almost sand-like grit to it, BUT it does clean quality chromed rusty rims and running boards/step tubing very well. Don`t EVER use it on chromed plastic trim or grills, though,; much too abrasive. East way to tell if it`s plastic is to place a small ceramic magnet on it as see if you get that tug from the magnet indicating there is a ferrous (iron-containing metal, for those of you who slept through chemistry class in high school) material below chrome.

I think Scottwax suggested Meg`s M105 makes for a good chromed metal cleaner. Did use it on a rusty step tube on a truck with some success, followed by Optimum`s Metal Polish. OMP is a very good chrome cleaner/polish for just "dirty" (AKA, tarnished) chrome.

I would suggest using Simichrome for chromed plastic with a chamois-like microfiber. Just do not rub hard. Many vehicle interior chromed trim pieces, like bezels around gauges or info-display screens, are plastic. If it`s just a thin rim of chrome plastic,I will use a cotton swap (AKA, Q-tip) dipped in Simichrome to try to limit applying the said chrome cleaner to a narrow area, but I will wipe it off with the chamois microfiber.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used M205 on chrome with good results.

I would`t use Simichrome, or anything else abrasive, on "chromed plastic" but that`s just me and I`m all long-term about such stuff, having killed off lots of chromed plastic back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve used M205 on chrome with good results.

I would`t use Simichrome, or anything else abrasive, on "chromed plastic" but that`s just me and I`m all long-term about such stuff, having killed off lots of chromed plastic back in the day.
    OK, Accumulator, I see your point about long-term life for chromed plastic on older vehicles. I think anyone who`s been around older vehicles have seen flaked-off chrome or chrome strips come off of such plated plastic trim pieces, both interior and exterior.
    Sometimes I think this is why glass cleaner may make more sense for such pieces. But, just touching these trim pieces are the issue in-and-of its self.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- The "tint safe" Glass Cleaners seem to be safe on the Chromed Plastic. But yeah...that stuff can be *so* fragile...been working at keeping a problem-area on the Jag from getting worse since forever.

Thread Information