Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More "wax stripping" BS

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sorta-random thoughts/experiences follow:

Bare paint can bead water really well and can even feel quite slick.

People have used varous (usually alkaline) APC-type products to strip LSPs (EF HI & "A" are the ones I`ve used the most) so effectively that the parts involved could be painted with no additional prep.

Can`t recall Dawn ever stripping a healthy LSP for me, even when used in a very potent mix. It`s sometimes left a haze or messed with how the panels involved felt, but the LSP would "come back" if I cleaned the whatever-it-was Dawn residue off. Oh...well, it did strip Souveran OK, but then so will most shampoo mixes.

I guess it can be a fine line between "wax" and "more of a sealant", but I`ve washed vehicles with *HOT* water many times without stripping LSPs described/marketed as "wax".
    Spot on!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

if I wanted to strip a wax id just take it to the local coin op,,, their pink soap will strip the hair off your skin, lol

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    This subject has been discussed in depth and pretty much shown the only way to remove an existing LSP is to polish it off. Here`s a link to it on AG--pay particular attention to the posts by PiPUK--- LSP stripping
    hence the title of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

After I polish the paint with M205 and wipe with 15% IPA, I`ll see a smooth consistent water sheet for a few minutes when I go to spray it down, and then it will slow way down. If I wash with a regular car soap after that IPA wipe it will accelerate that diminishing water behavior and the surface is almost hydrophilic at that point. So for the cars I`m testing, once the LSP has been abraded off and touched up with IPA to try and remove any polishing oils, then a short rinse or wash will produce a very slow sheet. If you`ve got great water behavior after polishing and a quick wash, let me know.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Ronkh, The Guz, 04accord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Loach- Regulars here know (because I belabored the point forever ) that the Trade Secret Oils in M205 drove me nuts until I started using Hi-Temp`s Akyra-Clean (or whatever they now call Prep-Wash). IPA was an exercise in frustration.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just messing around folks, trying to lighting things up here.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Ronkh, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Things got testy when I posted in another thread that a strip wash is not required prior to claying lol.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in Japan in the late 80`s and seen the first clay bar`s being use and wondering WTF is this. Took a few yrs to it to show up in the states.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it might depend on how one defines "soap". Wash with ValuGard`s "A" and it`ll strip off any LSP along with any other contamination. Not arguing...I just like the idea of simply doing a wash if there`s something you`d like to get off the paint. Ya know how fanatical I am about not using abrasives unless doing correction

I guess a good (chemical/non-abrasive) Paint Cleaner would accomplish the same thing and would be easier to control than some wash solution that`ll get all over everything. I`ve used Pinnacle PCL to remove a LSP I didn`t like and it worked fine. FWIW, I found KAIO to be pretty ineffective at LSP-stripping so I wouldn`t use that.

Or you could always reach for some actual "wax and grease remover", be it AkyraClean or a bodyshop solvent (suppose Eraser would work but I`ve never tried it).

IMO if somebody`s claying aggressively enough to take off a healthy LSP then they`re claying more aggressively than I ever would unless also planning to do significant correction. Guess most people do clay that way though...

Post Thanks / Like

Old Pirate- That`s cool that you got a sort of sneak-preview of clay! Did it make you want to start claying or did it strike you as something goofy?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
    if you want to strip the wax off of your car, why not use the same detergent that you use to wash you wax pads ?

just a thought
    The stuff that really works to clean pads is too expensive to use to strip down your vehicle..

Everyone can say what they want but until you actually saw a Zaino Rep`s vehicle with the zillion layers of Z-2 and Z-5, looking like it had a huge layer of clear coat on it, there my friends was the original Sealant/Coating in its infantile stages..

And every Rep said the same thing - Wash your vehicle down really good with Dawn Dish Soap, Claybar it with Zaino Red Clay, polish it to get it where you want the clarity and gloss to be, and coat it with Z2 or Z5 or a combo..

And their own personal vehicles treated this way looked amazing all the time..

And I am also on board with Anthony O. - waxes are only very temporary and the hotter it gets the quicker they go away...
    Dan F
    Likes JaredPointer liked this post
    Thanks JaredPointer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some CG Clean Slate and have an experiment in mind to test it. I had some residual money from a GC and took advantage free shipping. I also picked up some Mothers VLR.

I may get the Adam`s and do a comparison. In my experience for the look alikes Adam ounce for ounce always out performed CG.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes JustJesus, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I ordered some CG Clean Slate and have an experiment in mind to test it. I had some residual money from a GC and took advantage free shipping. I also picked up some Mothers VLR.

I may get the Adam`s and do a comparison. In my experience for the look alikes Adam ounce for ounce always out performed CG.
    If you grab the Adam`s I`d love to hear your thoughts. I tried Clean Slate neat right out of the bottle on Jet Seal, WG DGPS 3.0, Meguiar`s M21 2.0, and Ultimate Liquid Wax. ULW is the strongest beading LSP out of the group, very strong performance remaining. DGPS held up very well, followed by M21 and Jet Seal. Jet Seal was the most affected, but it`s the least aggressive of the four with just a water rinse at the very start. None of them were at the level of the water behavior after polishing and a quick wash. I quickly realized at the recommended 1oz per 5 gallon ratio how little impact Clean Slate seemed to be having on the paint. Again, everything is freshly applied, CG does mention the removal of "old" waxes and sealants.

Had the new Fuzion Spray Wax topped up on the paint after a waterless wash with Pinnacle Liquid Crystal. Great water behavior! Not Brilliant Shine Detailer level but I would love to put it side by side with High Speed Wax this weekend. Did an undiluted test with Dawn Ultra a few times tonight and it was still behaving aggressively with water.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes The Guz, Ronkh, JustJesus, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may get the Adam`s too.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information