Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Immortal Self-Healing ClearCoat

CarPro Immortal - Self-Healing Technology

I just found out about this recently. Does anybody here have any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Immortal Self-Healing ClearCoat

If I recall correctly, it has to be "baked".

I may be wrong, but I think that`s what it is.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Thanks pheerix thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It does. It`s applied just like clear coat paint as far as I can tell. I`m wondering if anyone here has seen it in action or dealt with it in any way.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess we all have to contact Red`s Detail in Marietta.. 1 of 2 Immortal Centers on the map.
    The other is Carpro in Florida..
    Wow - no one else in the nation..
    Must be huge $$$ to join the Immortal Club...

If you go by Red`s sometime, tell them to please correct the spelling of jams (something you get into, or make on the stove, store in jars, and put on your toast), to Jambs...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Looks similar to Nissan self healing paint that some have said is a pita to try to detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@Protekt View Post
    It does. It`s applied just like clear coat paint as far as I can tell. I`m wondering if anyone here has seen it in action or dealt with it in any way.
    I *think* Merlin has seen it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The other is Carpro in Florida..
    Yes this is Corey Caruth, the CarPro distributor in the US.

I asked if it could be coated with CQuartz and he said that the CQuartz becomes self-healing when it is applied over Immortal.
    >>>> Follow PROTEKT on Facebook
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to find this in too many detail shops I`m guessing based on the cost of a spray booth. Somehow I don`t see too many shops put there willing to shell out the big $$ for a booth they wouldn`t use too often. No way to justify the cost unless you`re in the body shop business
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Not going to find this in too many detail shops I`m guessing based on the cost of a spray booth. Somehow I don`t see too many shops put there willing to shell out the big $$ for a booth they wouldn`t use too often. No way to justify the cost unless you`re in the body shop business
    And with the hugely inflated prices they set higher every year just to be an Opti-Coat Pro Installer, I don`t know how anyone can afford to become a Car Pro Immortal Self-Healer Shrine Owner, etc...

Maybe that`s why there is only 1 in Georgia for the entire USA...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

HOLY ORANGE PEEL!!

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sampled that I applied to one of my test pans and a bunch of PVC cards a few weeks ago.

First of all, this is NOTHING like the Nissan self-healing clear that didn`t work for squat. Can`t comment on how it is to detail but seeing it work I`d say it`s unlikely it will need polishing often, if at all.

The application is just like spraying clear coat so if you don`t have an expensive paint booth to keep it dust free, it`s not really an option. Unlike normal clear that can be de-nibbed and wet sanded, Immortal is not so easily cleaned of debris. If it`s just a couple dust nibs they can be "carefully" taken care of from what I`ve heard, but not when it`s riddled with them like my test pan is from painting in my garage. Not only does it require a booth but it also requires the person applying it to be highly skilled in painting. It does say it needs to be heat cured.

The requirements and application cost makes this a very nitch product IMO. You could play middle man if you have a body shop with a high end booth, which is something I`ve considered, but I dislike the idea of tape lines and disassembling things to avoid them. It`s still pretty new too and I want to see some long term, real world testing and also see how it is to care for. When I get time I`ll play around with my test pan.

I will say this stuff is VERY impressive and everyone I`ve shown it to is blown away buy it. I feel its healing abilities are a lot like Xpel Ultimate and some other self-healing films, but it starts healing instantly even at room temp, though it gets even faster in higher temps. My test pan in full sun healed the instant the marks were made with a brass wire brush. you almost couldn`t even see them being made! It`s not bullet proof though and it can be damaged to the point it won`t heal with a harder, sharper material than brass....my stainless steel grill brush would be an example of that. Regardless, in real world scenario a car can easily be flawless for years with this stuff! I see this as being a much better offering at the factory level, where it`s an option for a few grand when you order the car, much like a sample to order color.

Quick iPhone video I made with it on a PVC card.
    https://youtu.be/q1xfISq9TkE

My $.02,

Rasky
    Thanks Stokdgs, Troy@Protekt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you all think this could somewhat hurt detailing profits down the line when it comes to paint correction/rejuvenation and even protection? It`d be like cars with near maintenance free engines hurting the mechanic repair industry(?) . I understand it might be a very niche thing for now .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Do you all think this could somewhat hurt detailing profits down the line when it comes to paint correction/rejuvenation and even protection? It`d be like cars with near maintenance free engines hurting the mechanic repair industry(?) . I understand it might be a very niche thing for now .
    I don`t see many people willing to dish out the prices I`ve heard being charged to have this done, at least not for most daily driver cars. If it can be rolled into their financing maybe more would opt for it though. For the money you could wrap the whole car in self-healing PPF, which would be more resistant to chips and it`s easier to replace a panel with film if it were to be damaged. Though that will have some visible seems and not look quite as good.

Hard to say really. When coatings first came out we never imagined people would pay what they do now so it`s possible. It would be a long, long time before we would feel an impact from a technology like this though IMO.
    Likes Migue, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Migue, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I don`t see many people willing to dish out the prices I`ve heard being charged to have this done, at least not for most daily driver cars. If it can be rolled into their financing maybe more would opt for it though. For the money you could wrap the whole car in self-healing PPF, which would be more resistant to chips and it`s easier to replace a panel with film if it were to be damaged. Though that will have some visible seems and not look quite as good.

Hard to say really. When coatings first came out we never imagined people would pay what they do now so it`s possible. It would be a long, long time before we would feel an impact from a technology like this though IMO.
    Chad,
    Thanks so much for your posts, especially the video you made...

Totally agree with your assessment - its going to be a long, long, time before this ever hits the "streets" as we know them...

On the video, it wasn`t on long enough to see if the spray on coating did return to perfection again, did you see it do that ?

Have to hand it to these guys for pushing the envelope again; seems to be what they like to do best..
    Dan F
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Chad,
    Thanks so much for your posts, especially the video you made...

Totally agree with your assessment - its going to be a long, long, time before this ever hits the "streets" as we know them...

On the video, it wasn`t on long enough to see if the spray on coating did return to perfection again, did you see it do that ?

Have to hand it to these guys for pushing the envelope again; seems to be what they like to do best..
    Dan F
    Yes, to it goes back to perfect. I`ll try shoot another when it`s heated up so you can see how fast it would heal in the sun.
    Likes Stokdgs, Migue liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information