Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Primers for coatings

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Primers are intended for enhancing longevity and not to give more pop.
    Some will disagree

What is your thought based on?

Post Thanks / Like

my 2 cents- all I have used is Essence

to me, essence is a gloss enhancer that you can move directly to coating after

now the extra step of a panel wipe seems to defeat the purpose of using essence in my above described manner but thats just me...

any of the other products in this category, I have no comment on as I know nothing about them

now does a product like essence prolong the coating? unsure,,here is my thoughts on that......if essence says it will last (used alone) up to 1 year...what happens when you top essence with an up to 2 or 3 year coating...does the essence fail underneath it or is that layer locked in and theoretically once the 2-3 year coating wears away you still have the si02 deposited from essence sitting there to protect the paint

I could see if all the same products were working in conjunction (synergistic compatibility- I believe it is called) then I could see an argument for the primer enhancing longevity but in the case of essence I believe it just gives you that extra pop and you can coat over it

Brandt K.
    Likes The Driver, House of Wax, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To phrase it differently, I dont believe primers are meant to "extend" durability, I think they are simply meant to ensure proper adhesion and avoid premature failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    To phrase it differently, I dont believe primers are meant to "extend" durability, I think they are simply meant to ensure proper adhesion and avoid premature failure.
    thats a great explanation

I am definitely grateful to be learning in the detail world that HAS these types of products

Brandt K.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will always use essence under my hobbyist coatings. Spreads better, looks better, and I appreciate some filling, done well, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

i kind of view primers as a glaze-type product for coatings. maybe a little more advanced then the typical wax/sealant glaze but its basically building a foundation for whatever LSP

Post Thanks / Like

The fellas of a Esoteric said that Kamikaze ACC is not useful as a "primer" to Mayabi or ISM. They said it is a stand-alone product with a very niche use...but using as a primer to one of the coatings is just a waste of product and time (their words). For what its worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Hm..

So (still havent had the opportunity to apply a coating) are the primers coating specific or could (just the two that come to mind) could Essence be used and then Blackfire Crystal Coat be put over the top?

I really need to try Essence, Ive heard a lot of good stuff about it so far.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Hm..

So (still havent had the opportunity to apply a coating) are the primers coating specific or could (just the two that come to mind) could Essence be used and then Blackfire Crystal Coat be put over the top?

I really need to try Essence, Ive heard a lot of good stuff about it so far.
    Cant say all, but Essence has been used as a primer for allot of the popular coatings
    Ive personally used it for glosscoat and Pearl Nano
    Have CSL, Unc-r and uber her to try thats on hand

Post Thanks / Like

Thats funny esoteric said that considering the product directions say it is a primer and must be followed by one of the coatings?i have used it that way numerous times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Thats funny esoteric said that considering the product directions say it is a primer and must be followed by one of the coatings?i have used it that way numerous times.
    Right Mike...I remember you told me that. I was about to order some ACC for my project, and heres what Esoteric told me...again, this is just what they told me:

"You donot need to use Artificial Clear Coat. This is a stand-alone product that has avery small niche use, but nothing you would need as a coating primer. Artificial ClearCoat is not necessary as a primer. It works fine with Miyabi and ISM, but notneeded. We don’t use ACC as a primer, as it is an extra step that has no effect on the results of the coatings."

Post Thanks / Like

They are correct in the fact it does not have to be used with the coatings. I dont know what they mean by stand alone because it must be coated over. I think it is a mis communication as to what they mean?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think ACC should be as small a niche as it is. This tech is more the future then not imo.

Post Thanks / Like

6.5 years later, Opti-Coat still going strong. And no primers. Just clean paint.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave - I agree Opti-Coat does not require primer, but the new podcasts and posting around Opti Paint Prep seem to indicate that the bonding and leveling will be improved when using this newly released cleaner.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information