Thread: Fluid Film

Post Thanks / Like

Fluid Film

Note: I realize this isn`t really a detailing story, but a story worth telling I think...

When I got my truck last January, I inherited/found that the drivers door roller hinge was frozen up and the door made a terrible creek when opened/closed. I tried WD40, liquid wrench penetrating oil... but it just wouldn`t come loose and roll. I resigned that at some point I`d need to have the hinge replaced $. Then I sprayed on a good coating of Fluid Film. (Fluid Film is a lanolin (sheep grease) based product used as a lubricant and rust preventative.) After a couple of days, the roller began working again as it should. They say that Fluid Film also works well in locks that stick or are frozen up. I have since used it inside doors, rocker panels and such as a rust preventative as well.
    It`s worth considering if you have similar issues.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluid Film

Is this a liquid? I have heard it requires being heated up to use as an under coating?

Post Thanks / Like

You can find it at Lowe`s in aerosol form. I haven`t used it on anything automotive yet, but I`m real pleased with its durability on things like my drill press table and seldom-used tools such as my drywall and masonry tools. There are plenty of testimonials around the web about its effectiveness on machinery, snow removal equipment etc. that are exposed to the elements.

Bill
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, this stuff just keeps coming up in various threads as a solution to different problems. If you guys keep posting about it I just know I`ll end up buying some!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    Is this a liquid? I have heard it requires being heated up to use as an under coating?
    As it`s name implies, it`s a fluid - about like a thick oil. I got the aerosol spray cans from Lowes, but it`s also sold by the gallon.
    Likes Stokdgs, Detail Impressions liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used it under my dump body, rockers, under the doors ect. Its a great product but it will collect dust in it. The steel plate on the back of the truck powerwashes clean easy enough, being careful not to blow the spray off of it. The directions say to remove with soap, power washer and maybe warm water. Its still sticking where I spray the salt off, which is impressive.

Professional applications of it include spraying inside doors and installing rubber plugs if any holes are drilled. Inside the doors I would have 100% confidence that it would prevent rust from the inside out. On the frame or under carriage, I think it works great, better then great, but not sure if it would still be there after 3 or 4 winter seasons. Although it may, I just dont have an opinion on it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that when used as an under carriage undercoating, an annual inspection/respray is required. I have a conventional Auto Armor undercoating, but I have used Fluid Film to spray inside doors, rocker panels, and inside the tailgate....only time will tell, but I think it`s a good proactive measure.

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    I used it under my dump body, rockers, under the doors ect. Its a great product but it will collect dust in it. The steel plate on the back of the truck powerwashes clean easy enough, being careful not to blow the spray off of it. The directions say to remove with soap, power washer and maybe warm water. Its still sticking where I spray the salt off, which is impressive.

Professional applications of it include spraying inside doors and installing rubber plugs if any holes are drilled. Inside the doors I would have 100% confidence that it would prevent rust from the inside out. On the frame or under carriage, I think it works great, better then great, but not sure if it would still be there after 3 or 4 winter seasons. Although it may, I just dont have an opinion on it yet.
    Likes Stokdgs, JBM liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Lowe`s today getting some more flooring for my garage attic, and found 2 cans there left. It sells for $ 9.99/can..
    Will see how it works for me..
    Thanks to all for the heads-up and your experiences with it...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

These guys sent me a case of this product about 10 years ago hoping my father`s small engine repair business would sell it. He didn`t end up selling it but I`ve used the small spray cans and still have a couple of new ones left. It works surprisingly well in the chutes of snow blowers. Spray it in and wipe it around with a rag. Snow goes through the chute like snot through a tin horn. Lots of body, almost a waxie residue.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... this stuff sounds like something I may have to pick up and give a try. I thought of 100 uses for me just reading the thread, and I may even try it in the lock cylinder that`s been seized for a couple years just for giggles. (I have new cylinders... just don`t feel like going to a smith to get them re-keyed.)
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel mystery oil is amazing if you need to soak something frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, if it attracts/retains dust then it`s not something I`ll find many uses for (already have "cavity protection" products for out-of-the-way areas). MAYBE I`d like it around bodymounts, but it turns out I`ll have to give this more thought.

I sure do appreciate the continued discussion of this topic!

Wonder how Fluid Film compares with AmSoil`s Heavy Duty Metal Protector, which does *not* attract/retain dust nearly as much as I`d expcected (but then I expected it to be really awful in that regard).

Thread Information