Post Thanks / Like

How can I fix my application of CQuartz UK?

Hi Folks. I did a swirl correction and polish of my black car over the holiday weekend, and finished off with two coats of CQuartz UK. This is my first time using the product and the outcome wasn`t great. I did the application in my garage, and the lighting isn`t bright. Consequently I wasn`t able to tell that I hadn`t fully buffed out various areas of the coating until I got it into the sunlight the next day. By then it was too late to fix it. It`s not really bad, just various areas that needed additional buffing and are plainly visible in natural light.

So is there any way to fix this?

My assumption is that I`ll have to strip the coating off in any problem areas and re-apply. Is this correct? If that is the case what would be a good product to use for this? I used Menzerna polishes on my car because that is what I already had, and they have worked great for me for years. But their oily residue was way too hard to clean off completely in preparation for applying CQuartz, so I`d prefer to use something else that doesn`t require as much meticulous clean up if possible. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I fix my application of CQuartz UK?

Just do a light polish with M205 to level the areas that appear hazy/streaky, quick wipe with eraser, and then reapply coating.

OR pickup some new Essence, polish the car and coat on top.

Retired Professional Detailer
    Likes Jsmooth, HobbesA5, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Zach. I was unaware of the Essence, but I think I`ll give it a try since it appears to be designed to play very nicely with the Cquartz. Of course, nobody has any in stock right now, so it will take a couple of weeks for me to get it.
    Likes zmcgovern45 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever correct with Essence and reapply? How were your results? I literally just did the same exact thing with my first application of UK, would love to know how your fix turned out

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Essence would sure be the way to go here to correct the problem. It is a great product. Have you attempted to fix the application of CQUK yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon@APAD View Post
    Essence would sure be the way to go here to correct the problem. It is a great product. Have you attempted to fix the application of CQUK yet?
    I have not attempted to correct it yet. The occasions that I have had time have been met with uncooperative weather.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me old school, but I would polish with CarPro Reflect, wipe down with Eraser and recoat UK. All in the same family of CarPro no possible reactions of different product lines.

I done this before 2010 Black Camaro and it works just fine. Customer still loves the results.

Post Thanks / Like

... Essence is also in the CarPro family. In fact, it is made to be used directly before CQuartz coatings which is why I recommended it in this exact situation

Likes Detail Impressions liked this post
    Thanks Detail Impressions thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    ... Essence is also in the CarPro family. In fact, it is made to be used directly before CQuartz coatings which is why I recommended it in this exact situation
    Zack, I agree and believe you have more experience with Essence than myself. I very much respect your sharing and knowledge....
    Flip side "I "do not believe we have enough test time on the Essence product and the endurance time in years yet. I am old school fillers/glaze and coatings just does not my sense in my brain yet.......
    After I experience a problem, I always go back to a know "Good"

Post Thanks / Like

How can I fix my application of CQuartz UK?

The "filler" part of essence was perhaps over exaggerated. It does contain mechanical abrasives (the same abrasives used in reflect, in fact) and will remove defects... But it could potentially do some minor filling too as any polish can.

For what it`s worth, I`ve wiped a panel with eraser, 50% IPA, and 10:1 APC immediately after polishing and there were no signs of filling. This was when used as a finishing polish after compounding. So, I wouldn`t dwell too much on the fact that it "could" fill.

To me, Essence is a great way to save some time before coating.... Especially on delicate paints where solvent wipes have a high probability of marring. Obviously either way is fine as we`ve been working without Essence for years, but now that it`s out, why not embrace it

Likes Detail Impressions, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Detail Impressions thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Zack, Thank you for the knowledge sir. Yes I do learn from you, thank you.
    I am sure CarPro has every coating company shaking their heads and chemist working overtime trying to reverse engineer their new polish.. haha

Optimum Polymer Technologies has come forth stating it will not work with their "world`s best permanent...I think they were caught lax on their product line and figured they had the complete lock on the market..They are behind CarPro right know they have no "Essence"
    https://www.facebook.com/detail.impressions

Likes zmcgovern45, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OPT actually does have a primer polish for their professional installers... It is not a product that is available to consumers.

Though they do state that gloss coat can be applied immediately after polishing with hyper polish as the products are designed to be compatible.

In the end, we`ve just got to trust that the manufacturers have done their homework. (Sometimes that can be tough to do)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    The "filler" part of essence was perhaps over exaggerated. It does contain mechanical abrasives (the same abrasives used in reflect, in fact) and will remove defects... But it could potentially do some minor filling too as any polish can.

For what it`s worth, I`ve wiped a panel with eraser, 50% IPA, and 10:1 APC immediately after polishing and there were no signs of filling. This was when used as a finishing polish after compounding. So, I wouldn`t dwell too much on the fact that it "could" fill.

To me, Essence is a great way to save some time before coating.... Especially on delicate paints where solvent wipes have a high probability of marring. Obviously either way is fine as we`ve been working without Essence for years, but now that it`s out, why not embrace it
    I agree that when used with foam pads which would normally finish down with a dedicated finishing polish that there should be no filling. However, when used with a MF pad I firmly believe its filling in the light DA haze as those pads rarely finish perfectly on most paints. I`m testing this on my truck to see if and when the filler wears off. Essence definitely performs great with a MF pad, but IMO it needs to be communicated with the client what`s going on with this combo. I was able to pull out some pretty significant defects on my paint with Essence and a MF pad but I know the perfect finish I was seeing was not true. That being said, if it holds up for over a year without the DA haze showing, IMO that`s very impressive. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i heard corey say in a video that the fillers last up to a year...

Thread Information