Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings vs. Standard LSP`S discussion

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    Lol, yes I know the whole "you didn`t do it right" thing Thomas, thanks but I know I applied it correctly. I also have a host of pictures of cars I`ve done too btw, all with various coatings
    So why did it fail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    So why did it fail?
    Im not a chemist. I do know I`m by far not the only one who has had the same issues as mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not a chemist. I do know I`m by far not the only one who has had the same issues as mine.
    So why blame the product? I realize that THATis the easiest option, but how do we know that you indeed prepped the finish/applied it correctly? Not questioning your abilities, but it would be nice to know exactly what you did - what polishes, how did you clean the paint etc... instead of just saying that you applied it correctly.

If you did and it failed, shouldn`t it happen to everyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Basically I don`t feel like listing it all for you when I know I did it right tbh...out of curiosity, what difference would the brand of polishes make though? The paint just has to be completely clean, no Polish IS needed if it`s not wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

All the coatings I have applied all look really good. Some possibly different than others and that is all taste but all look excellent.

The Polish Angel stuff looks more Wax like and the GTECH EXO v1, GTECH EXO v2, Opticoat 2.0, Gloss coat, and 22PLE look like a hard candy coating. IMO

They are all glossy and wet looking. Its the beading and durability that differentiates them for me.

The Optimum Products I have used Opticoat 2.0 and Gloss Coat are by far and away the most durable in terms of fighting off marring from kids leaning on cars and poor wash methods. I used them on my older sons car first because the Subaru paint is soft and easily marred and second, because he is not one to take care of the finish with any degree of care past a so so wash. it looks great on the car and the only issue I ever have had with the 2.0 was relating to the tightness of the beads. However, It always washed up incredibly easily as nothing stuck to it and looked great. The Gloss Coat is slicker and more hydrophobic and its also going great.

All of the others are working well. The GTECH EXO v2 is my current favorite and only beats the 22ple because its much less expensive. Otherwise they appear to be very similar in looks and performance. Both have been on the car for 4 months at this point, installed a weekend apart. The 22PLE has a longer working time so that makes it slightly easier to install.

I previously had EXO v2 on my DD for 24 months (40K miles of driving) and had stellar performance for about 22 months before it needed to be recoated.
    Likes Ronkh, boxingfan30 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Thomas` point is that some polishes are more oily and require much work to remove. Polishing oils left behind can affect bonding of any coating. If I use oily polishes a pre coating APC wash is must for me. The IPA just takes too much work to get the paint squeaky clean for me.

I also have heard that Optimum has a Primer Polish designed to work well with their coatings. I`m not sure if there is a consumer version of this Polish/primer.

I think a lot of coatings (of all brands) fail because the installing person is trying to get the coating to go too far. I was shown how to apply Opticoat 2.0 by a professional and he used a lot more product than I had seen used on the You Tube video I watched prior. He explained that the video was done by someone who was getting 2-3 cars out of a tube deigned for a single car.

Basically I don`t feel like listing it all for you when I know I did it right tbh...out of curiosity, what difference would the brand of polishes make though? The paint just has to be completely clean, no Polish IS needed if it`s not wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not questioning oc hardness, I said I thought it was a good coating, but for someone is "an authorized dealer" to tell me I must have done something wrong because the product had issues for me is just ignorance on their part because I`m not an authorized dealer I couldn`t possibly know how to apply it I guess lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I was tentative about applying a coating the first time. its really not hard at all, just needs to be done methodically so not spots are missed. its hard to see the film on some of these products and knock down high spots. The newer coatings are much better about leveling than the older ones I have used.

There is also the chance you got a bad bottle or tube. If there is a remnant left, send it back t the manufacturer.

I`m not questioning oc hardness, I said I thought it was a good coating, but for someone is "an authorized dealer" to tell me I must have done something wrong because the product had issues for me is just ignorance on their part because I`m not an authorized dealer I couldn`t possibly know how to apply it I guess lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I was tentative about applying a coating the first time. its really not hard at all, just needs to be done methodically so not spots are missed. its hard to see the film on some of these products and knock down high spots. The newer coatings are much better about leveling than the older ones I have used.

There is also the chance you got a bad bottle or tube. If there is a remnant left, send it back t the manufacturer.
    I threw it out. A bad batch is always possible, I did my brother in laws car and 3 years later his is fine, but the fact of the bad spotting still is something with the water here and not what I want to have to go through again

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I did not see your original issue. What product did you have a problem with specifically, and what was the issue?

I have used a lot of products and none were able to shed water spots caused by my neighbors sprinkler. I had to install a new head at my expense and then I polished off the damage and I have been good ever since. I also invested in a CR spotless dual cartage large unit so I can wash in the sun. It was a drag to wash before dawn and after dark all the time. Our water is hard here and its just something I have had to work around. Failure is not an option

I threw it out. A bad batch is always possible, I did my brother in laws car and 3 years later his is fine, but the fact of the bad spotting still is something with the water here and not what I want to have to go through again

Post Thanks / Like

I do not understand why you wouldn`t list your steps? Yes, the paint "just has to be clean" but that may not mean that it is actually clean. If one uses Optimum polishes, you have a lot less to worry about, but if you were to use lets say 3D polishes (used to be my favorites) - I will give you an example what can happen.

At least happened to me. I coated a good friend`s car. My steps were: wash/clay/hd adapt/hd polish/IPA. OC was gone in less than a year - when my steps include IPA after EACH polishing step? OC is fine.

FYI, when I worked for 3D, Tunch was working on a compound and we did a test against all the heavy hitters (heaviest compounds) - there was one compound, that looked near perfect when cleaned with 100$ IPA while all the others looked like $*&T. (on fresh Jet Black paint. Took 5 wipes to remove all the oils.

So this is one example where one CAN make an "an honest mistake" and it isn`t because of one`s ability. Look, you maybe the Michael Jordan of detailers, but I would still suggest that you have an open mind - none of us know EVERYTHING, and don`t take it so personally when someone is trying to help you. It is good to learn. When you get to THAT point of "I know everything" - you really don`t.

Hope this clears things up.

for someone is "an authorized dealer" to tell me I must have done something wrong because the product had issues for me is just ignorance on their part because I`m not an authorized dealer I couldn`t possibly know how to apply it I guess lol.
    I may be the ignorant one, but it could also be that I have a little more experience with coatings and I was just trying to help you get better. But who knows, maybe you should be teaching me.
    Likes GearHead_1, MiVor, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with coatings comes down to one thing....the prep must be perfect. Not ok, not really good, not even excellent. That doesn`t just mean polishing which really isn`t the most important part. Its getting the damn polishing and decon crap off the paint. Think of all the steps and products you are introducing to the paint during prep. All that can be perfect, and yet any coating can turn out lousy or underperform. Its the step just before the coating application that is absolutely crucial. For most users, this is too much BS to deal with. That`s the bottom line. Nobody is questioning whether coatings are better than sealants or waxes. That discussion is obvious. However...coatings require everything to be perfect...prep, environment, experience...and finally if you use products from outside the coating manufacturer family...including polish, car wash, toppers etc... Your coating will never perform as intended. Coatings imo should only be considered if done by experienced, or certified people. Otherwise save your money.
    Likes Thomas Dekany, RitcheyRch, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    The thing with coatings comes down to one thing....the prep must be perfect. Not ok, not really good, not even excellent. That doesn`t just mean polishing which really isn`t the most important part. Its getting the damn polishing and decon crap off the paint. Think of all the steps and products you are introducing to the paint during prep. All that can be perfect, and yet any coating can turn out lousy or underperform. Its the step just before the coating application that is absolutely crucial. For most users, this is too much BS to deal with. That`s the bottom line. Nobody is questioning whether coatings are better than sealants or waxes. That discussion is obvious. However...coatings require everything to be perfect...prep, environment, experience...and finally if you use products from outside the coating manufacturer family...including polish, car wash, toppers etc... Your coating will never perform as intended. Coatings imo should only be considered if done by experienced, or certified people. Otherwise save your money.
    Based on that I am convinced. Coatings are a goner for me. I used eraser and the blackfire coating prep twice with the BF Crystal Coat as well as 22PLE. Both cars came out ok but not very glossy and definitely not slick. Actually Zaino looked better and since I figured out why it streaked I am done with the coatings based on what you said. No way I can make it perfect and my environment is outdoors (which clearly could really mess this process up). Thx for this advice.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? Perhaps a member can show you the ropes. If you are in the NY Metro area I would show you how to do it. its really easy. So many people try to over complicate this., Its hard to tell you but easy to show.

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Based on that I am convinced. Coatings are a goner for me. I used eraser and the blackfire coating prep twice with the BF Crystal Coat as well as 22PLE. Both cars came out ok but not very glossy and definitely not slick. Actually Zaino looked better and since I figured out why it streaked I am done with the coatings based on what you said. No way I can make it perfect and my environment is outdoors (which clearly could really mess this process up). Thx for this advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say after reading all of this with an open mind, I think I`ll stick with sealants and wax!
    Likes JustJesus, KBzPTGT liked this post

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information