Post Thanks / Like

Question BP and Pads choice: coming down to CG Hex Logic vs Meguiar`s Thin Foam

Now that I`ve purchased my GG6, it`s time to buy a 5" backing plate and pads, and get to work! I`ve done quite a bit of research on these (as I did for the machine itself), and it`s coming down to these two main contenders: CG Hex Logic and Meguiar`s Thin Foam.

For a little background, I already have purchased Meguiar`s UC, UP, and UW for use. I also have some KAIO and KSG, but I`m going to try to keep it simple as I`m learning, and a matched system like what Meguiar`s offers is attractive (and available locally to me).

So that said, I`ve seen quite a few great reviews of Meguiar`s new thin foam pads with matching backing plates. The only complaint I`ve read is that the pads get saturated too quickly due to their thin nature. But more energy is transferred to correction since they are thin, and many say they are great if someone is going with a primarily Meguiar`s system of polishes and waxes.

On the other hand, I`ve also read many people very happy with CG`s Hex Logic pads (primarily the orange, white, and black, used for cutting, polishing, and finishing, respectively). The cutting pad in particular is praised for doing a lot of work in a relatively short amount of time. CG also has other color pads for specific purposes (ex: green for AIO applications), and also has the orange, white, and black pads in hand applicator form (Meguiar`s does not), which is really convenient for hard to reach spots. They also have hex logic in 4" pad sizes (again, Meguiar`s does not).

I`m undecided at the moment. I have zero experience yet, so I have no basis of comparison. I plan to buy 6 cutting pads, 4 polishing pads, and 1 finishing pad (as per Mike Phillip`s advice) to be able to do one complete car with pad changes. Given the thin pads get saturated quickly, I may need more of them if I go that route. And I`ll pick up some CG pad cleaner and CG pad conditioner either way, as they are pretty inexpensive ways to improve performance and extend pad life.

But what starter pads and BP to get... I`m not sure.. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BP and Pads choice: coming down to CG Hex Logic vs Meguiar`s Thin Foam

You may want to take a look at Buff & Shine 5.5" FLAT foam pads. They are a little thinner than most pads (7/8" I believe) but not as thin as the new Megs pads. B&S pads are very durable and have a recessed Velcro that makes it easy to center the pad and adds a margin of safety when polishing near protruding objects like mirrors etc. The B&S pads and backing plates are resonably priced and some sites offer 5 packs at a good savings that perhaps Ray will match. You probably (depending on your paint) could start with Orange, Green and one red for applying your LSP. I believe B&S makes the Hexlogic pads for CG. I don`t care for pads with dimples, grooves etc -- seems like there is less pad on the surface and I feel spent product and removed clear can build up in the grooves or dimples making them harder to clean on the fly.

Link: Buff and Shine Buffing Accessories
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks SwedishRider thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    You may want to take a look at Buff & Shine 5.5" FLAT foam pads. They are a little thinner than most pads (7/8" I believe) but not as thin as the new Megs pads. B&S pads are very durable and have a recessed Velcro that makes it easy to center the pad and adds a margin of safety when polishing near protruding objects like mirrors etc. The B&S pads and backing plates are resonably priced and some sites offer 5 packs at a good savings that perhaps Ray will match. You probably (depending on your paint) could start with Orange, Green and one red for applying your LSP. I believe B&S makes the Hexlogic pads for CG. I don`t care for pads with dimples, grooves etc -- seems like there is less pad on the surface and I feel spent product and removed clear can build up in the grooves or dimples making them harder to clean on the fly.

Link: Buff and Shine Buffing Accessories

Thank you for the great info! I looked into those pads, and they have the following:

Yellow: Heavy Cutting
    Orange: Medium Cutting
    White: Heavy Polishing
    Green: Polishing
    Blue: Light Polishing
    Black: Finishing
    Red: Ultra Finishing/Application

A couple of follow-up questions...

Would you recommend buying six orange (med. cutting), four green (polishing) and one red (ultra finish/application) to start with the Meg`s UC, UP, and UW combo? Or would you go with a different number than that (I`m assuming you picked those colors in your earlier post because you thought they would be most appropriate for general use). I`m going by the quantities that Mike Phillips recommends, but I`m curious your thoughts.

And how would you handle smaller pads for 3/3.5" plates, and pads for use by hand? That was a benefit of the CG hex logic pads as they offered both 4" and hand-use hex logic pads to complement their 5.5" offerings. I think Buff & Shine makes a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads, but no hand pads. How do you handle the smaller spots that 5.5" pads won`t reach?

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to the Meguiar`s pads. I did a review with them on the PC 7424XP which has less power than the GG6 just to show that the pads are a great upgrade.

New DA Thin Foam Discs Review

I use the previous 5" backing plate that came with the microfiber system. As long as you keep cleaning the pads on the fly any saturation will not be a problem. The pads are very durable. The burgundy cutting pad finishes down very well and can finish LSP ready.

The other pads that I have had good success with are the LC flat foam pads and the LC hydrotech pads. Those would be some other ones to consider. There is a place that is selling the new thin LC flat foam pads.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    My vote goes to the Meguiar`s pads. I did a review with them on the PC 7424XP which has less power than the GG6 just to show that the pads are a great upgrade.

New DA Thin Foam Discs Review

I use the previous 5" backing plate that came with the microfiber system. As long as you keep cleaning the pads on the fly any saturation will not be a problem. The pads are very durable. The burgundy cutting pad finishes down very well and can finish LSP ready.

The other pads that I have had good success with are the LC flat foam pads and the LC hydrotech pads. Those would be some other ones to consider. There is a place that is selling the new thin LC flat foam pads.
    Thank you for the link- I just read your review. Impressive pads! Do you think 6 cutting pads , 4 polishing pads, and 1 finishing pad sounds right to you (if I were to clean on the fly with terry cloth) for one average car? Or would more be needed?

And also, same question: what DA pads and/or hand pads do you use for tight spaces where the 5" pads won`t reach?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is plenty. I have 4 cutting, 4 polishing and 2 finishing. But I also have other pads as spares. I clean them on the fly with a towel and I do have access to a compressor so I do occasionally blow them out as I go. Then switch over to a new pad after a few panels.

I have 3" and 4" DA pads. Of course you will need a backing plate for each one. I use my PC as my dedicated small pad machine and my MT300 as my primary machine for larger pads.

I use these for 3"

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - You Pick!

These for 4"

Lake Country 4 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - You Pick!

If you want to get a little more bang for your buck the I would get these

Lake Country 3 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack - You Pick!

Lake Country 4 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack - You Pick!

If you are looking for hand pads I find these to be some of the best I have used.

Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads

I have some of these that I have tried out since the foam is made to give one more correction power than a typical foam applicator. I will use these in those very hard to reach areas where I want a little more correction power.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/hydro...pplicator.html
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SwedishRider, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post

Would you recommend buying six orange (med. cutting), four green (polishing) and one red (ultra finish/application) to start with the Meg`s UC, UP, and UW combo? Or would you go with a different number than that (I`m assuming you picked those colors in your earlier post because you thought they would be most appropriate for general use). I`m going by the quantities that Mike Phillips recommends, but I`m curious your thoughts.

And how would you handle smaller pads for 3/3.5" plates, and pads for use by hand? That was a benefit of the CG hex logic pads as they offered both 4" and hand-use hex logic pads to complement their 5.5" offerings. I think Buff & Shine makes a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads, but no hand pads. How do you handle the smaller spots that 5.5" pads won`t reach?
    I find Mike`s recomendations spot on for the number of pads--6 orange, 4 green and one red for each different LSP you plan to use as a general rule, but depending on the condition and type of paint you have (hard or soft) that could change. The 4" pads are fine for smaller areas like bumpers, pillars etc. For those few areas that need to be done by hand like door handles I just bought an extra 5.5" orange pad and cut it into a number of pieces of the appropriate size. The B&S red pad is excellent for spreading LSPs as it is soft, but has very dense pores so it doesn`t soak up allot of product. They have hand applicators in this same foam that I find much better than the typical yellow foam hand applicator.
    Likes SwedishRider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of which pad brand and style I choose, my game plan is to buy some CG Pad Cleaner, and clean them after each use (I can`t justify a GG pad washer as of yet).

So, once I`ve used a pad with a particular product (in this case, Meg`s UC, UP, or UW), should that pad forever be used with that product only, or can it be used with a different product once it`s been cleaned after its last use?

Post Thanks / Like

don`t over think it. just get the 5 inch plate, some flat pads of various colors, and some decent quality products to use with them. you`ll get good results, don`t worry.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

And make sure you get the right SIZE pads for the 5" backing plate - ok ???
    6" pads on any random orbital take more power to rotate, and are in some cases, harder to control..
    You really could do better easier with the 5.5" pads or whatever is sized for that 5" backing plate..

I have never liked the idea of logics, dimples, etc., in pad faces, it to me, means less pad surface on the work, unless you are pressing it down hard enough to make it all flat..
    I would just rather start out with flat pads to begin with - they have been around for decades and if there were not such a demand for them - they would quit making them, right ???

Pad cleaner in a bucket - might work, but to me, a huge waste of time and soap, and then you still have to rinse them and dry them...
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Likes pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    And make sure you get the right SIZE pads for the 5" backing plate - ok ???
    6" pads on any random orbital take more power to rotate, and are in some cases, harder to control..
    You really could do better easier with the 5.5" pads or whatever is sized for that 5" backing plate..

I have never liked the idea of logics, dimples, etc., in pad faces, it to me, means less pad surface on the work, unless you are pressing it down hard enough to make it all flat..
    I would just rather start out with flat pads to begin with - they have been around for decades and if there were not such a demand for them - they would quit making them, right ???

Pad cleaner in a bucket - might work, but to me, a huge waste of time and soap, and then you still have to rinse them and dry them...
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks for the advice. If you don`t like the pad cleaner in a bucket method, then what method do you recommend to clean pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    Regardless of which pad brand and style I choose, my game plan is to buy some CG Pad Cleaner, and clean them after each use (I can`t justify a GG pad washer as of yet).

So, once I`ve used a pad with a particular product (in this case, Meg`s UC, UP, or UW), should that pad forever be used with that product only, or can it be used with a different product once it`s been cleaned after its last use?
    IMO pad cleaners are a waste of $$$. Soak in a bucket of weak Dawn solution as you finish with each pad then clean all of them at the same time after the job is complete. Have had great results with Awsome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar store. You need to do them at a sink so they can be rinsed very well once clean--don`t twist and turn them--just work the pad with your thumbs from the center out then rinse VERY well. Put them between some thick terry towel and stand on them then air dry Velcro up on some sort of rack or your grit guard. Do a search for "Ghetto Pad Washer" for an inexpesive way to clean pads fast.

Polishing pads can be used with any product once cleaned and dried --- LSP application pads on the other hand have to be dedicated to a particular LSP in some cases as some LSPs can be difficult to remove from the pad.
    Likes SwedishRider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey - I didn`t read through many of the responses, as I`m waiting for the gf so we can go run errands.

But on Hex Logics. I like them. And up until recently, it`s all I`ve used. I even had some LCs and some B&S pads that I bought with the intent on trying them out. Haven`t even unbagged them.

But here`s where I`m at now: Tried MF pads from Megs and love them. Will they be my new go-to pad? No. Will only use them when I need the extra cut.

I received my order of Megs thin pads, and might be trying them out in a week or so.

Anyway, here`s where I`m at with Hex Logic pads. In the 5" version, I WILL NOT be ordering more anytime soon. I still have enough to last me some time, PLUS, and more importantly, their price has about *doubled.* I normally get them thru Amazon Prime. Current price for the 5" pads are 15$ or so. NO THANKS. Not when I used to get them for about 7-8$.

I`ll be trying out the Megs thin pads, the B&S, and the LCs that I have. Will make my choice down the line sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

I googled it- that ghetto pad washer is GREAT! I have a gas powered pressure washer though... not sure if a wide-angle nozzle would reduce the pressure enough to use it on pads or not. I really like the concept of that washer- and very inexpensive too!

Post Thanks / Like

Swedish, there isn`t anything wrong with cleaning on the fly. Then, some cleaner in the sink to clean the pads up for future use. But heck, that`s just me, cheap, err poor.

Thread Information