Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPA or Eraser

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPA or Eraser

Quote Originally Posted by 20115.0 View Post
    Did u tell travis you were using their inv primer as the polish? Inv primer and cosmic from pa didnt require ipa wipe down according to travis
    Hey Ken,

If you use Primer, then you don’t need IPA. IPA would only be for using any other polish. I use Primer before Viking Coat simply because I like the results I get with it and not needing IPA.

Thanks,
    ~Travis Kent
    contact@polishangel.us
    POLISHANGEL® USA

Post Thanks / Like

When Optimum came out with their `Primer Polish" we were also told that we don`t need to use IPA anymore. However, sometime later we were told to do an ONR wipe to make sure that there is no residue left on the paint. I still use IPA just to make sure. You should also do some type of wipe down before applying the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    Hey Ken,

If you use Primer, then you don’t need IPA. IPA would only be for using any other polish. I use Primer before Viking Coat simply because I like the results I get with it and not needing IPA.

Thanks,
    ~Travis Kent
    contact@polishangel.us
    POLISHANGEL® USA
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a test on my car to see if IPA removes polishing oils. I polished my car with both M105 and some Menzerna polish. I then did a full foam and wash. I did an IPA wipe down on some sections. Then I hit both the IPA and non-IPA sections with a blast of steam. I could immediately see that the non-IPA section was loaded with oils and the areas where I did an IPA wipe down were oil free. So IPA worked great for me.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accum- I am surprised to hear that. I use 50/50 IPA for all my wipe downs and have never had any issues of not removing the oils.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use panel wipe. Much better than IPA IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I guess more of what I was eluding to was that if it was an issue, you would expect to hear more about it. Given that it is not a voiced concern by either manufacturers or consumers, it is likely a non-issue...

Heh heh, I`m sure you don`t mean to be insulting, but what...a problem I encountered is a "non-issue"? I was perfectly capable of discerning whether the oils were being stripped or not,and they weren`t. I wanted them stripped, it didn`t happen, so it was an issue for me.

(Not that it should matter, but the reason I cared was that I was working to remove *VERY* faint holograms and the oils caused pseudo-holograms that looked similar under the SunGun and/or obscured the real holograms that were just barely visible under specific conditions. Most people couldn`t see the holograms in bright sunlight when I pointed to them, but they bothered me and on my cars that`s what counts.)

Hey, it only happened twice (E36 M3 and `04 GMC) but that was twice too often for me so I switched to a product made to strip polishing oils and it worked fine.

Glad to hear IPA works fine for others and that my issues were apparently unique to me.

[EDIT: Sorry if I`m being touchy today...sometimes hard to tell how something`s intended to come across online.]

Quote Originally Posted by Street5927 View Post
    Accum- I am surprised to hear that. I use 50/50 IPA for all my wipe downs and have never had any issues of not removing the oils.
    Again, it works OK (if not as well as some dedicated products made for that) on products other than M205. Maybe I was dealing with unusually "sticky" paint, but I had those two cases where it simply *did not work*. Period. Like...no way I could`ve been mistaken about it. I was just glad I was able to sort it out.

BTW, thanks for expressing your surprise regarding my experiences without suggesting that my problem either didn`t happen or wasn`t of any significance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive only used panel wipe one time, and it was on soft black paint, and it seems to be way too harsh on the paint. Made it discolored and dry feeling, not smooth and oil free.

eraser, gyeon prep, IPA, prepall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information