Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat Gloss Coat experience

Cliff notes:
    1. 10ml of product is more than enough to do your car / SUV
    2. Don`t worry about driving in rain the next day
    3. If you mess up some spots, lightly polish those areas by hand, do an IPA wipedown, and reapply. This is very easy

After years of only using waxes or sealants, I decided to opti-coat our new toyota highlander. The car is black and sits outside in the southern heat and sun constantly, so I couldn`t keep any wax on the car longer than a couple of weeks. Unfortunately despite keeping it waxed regularly with some standby products (collinite, FK, etc), the hood already has many spots where bird bombs and other things had etched through the paint. So I got some Gloss Coat, here is my experience.

I washed, clayed, lightly polished, re-washed with dawn dish soap mix, and dried with IPA. I applied the gloss coat at night in a poorly lit garage despite the warnings otherwise. I did the entire car going up and down, then side to side, covering all body panels, the roof, and headlights. While applying, I rarely had to wipe down with a microfiber and the product flashed quickly despite very high humidity.

When I was done I looked at the bottle and had only use 2ml out of the 10ml! For anyone wondering, 10ml is PLENTY of product. So of course I figured I had put it on too light, which lead to researching whether I could top it with another coat and when I should do that. I didn`t find much on gloss coat but did find a few things opti coat. I decided just to throw another coat on, this was about an hour or two after I had finished the first coat. This time I used more product than the recommended 2-3 drops per panel, instead applying 2-3 drops for every section I did, which comes out to maybe 7-10 drops per panel. At the end of my entire heavier coat, which I also did up / down and left / right passes, I had used another 3ml. So I`ve put two full coats on and have used 5ml. I also used the pad that the product comes with, which supposedly uses more product compared to other options.

The next day I pulled the car out into the sun and there were some spots where the product had dried and puddled. This was my fault from not having enough light when applying. So I put some finishing polish on a soft machine pad and, by hand, very lightly buffed those spots. The product at that time has not fully cured so I buffed through the gloss coat and down to paint easily, did a quick IPA wipedown of the area, and reapplied gloss coat. That whole processed worked fine.

Also the day after initial application, I was driving around we got caught in a rainstorm without any adverse effects.

The surface upon initial application is extremely slick, comparable to having just applied a glaze and at least as slick as any of the many waxes I`ve tried. The gloss / shine is also great.

The car sat outside again for two weeks and the hood took on another beating. Rain spots were forming on the hood and looked like they might be etching through, but I gave the car a basic wash and found that the gloss coat was protecting the paint and the rain / dirt / bird spots were only on the surface. After the wash, I dried with duragloss aquawax without any issue.

Overall I`m very happy with the product and will be using it again. I will be topping the car with FK or Collinite to try and get all the protection I can.
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl, Wolfster liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat Gloss Coat experience

Good deal. I`ve had Opti Gloss on my ride for almost a year and it looks as good as the day I put it on. Granted, the car is garage kept at night and is regularly washed once a week, but it does take a beating during the summer with these Texas 100 degree summer days. Gloss Coat is my coating of choice. Such an easy application process and great shine/protection. Now the CQUK on my wife`s car...that`s a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52split View Post
    Good deal. I`ve had Opti Gloss on my ride for almost a year and it looks as good as the day I put it on. Granted, the car is garage kept at night and is regularly washed once a week, but it does take a beating during the summer with these Texas 100 degree summer days. Gloss Coat is my coating of choice. Such an easy application process and great shine/protection. Now the CQUK on my wife`s car...that`s a different story.
    Different story as in better or worse? Wasnt sure if you were referring to it having better (or worse) shine/protection or being easier (or harder) to apply.

Currently looking for a coating for our incoming Atomic Silver Lexus.....its not a dark nor light color, but it shows different shades depending on the light and angle you look at it. I really wanted something that would keep that effect, if not magnify it. I have OptiCoat Pro on my Malbec Black G37 and I think it looks good (it looks soaking wet whenever you look at it), but was worried that look would be too "sterile" on the Atomic Silver.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I though most people get 2 coats out of the 10 ML? I got 2 coats out of the 10 ml but did not have enough to do the wheels and jambs.

I like the product so far. I think its very protective and looks good. Too early to tell about durability.

Applied in May and here is a shot frm this mornings rain. It is very self cleaning in any substantial rain.

I would not top Gloss Coat with anything. It will only serve to muck it up. It`s very durable, self cleaning and shiney all on its own. Plus nothing will stick to it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by extrabolts View Post
    Cliff notes:
    3. If you mess up some spots, lightly polish those areas by hand, do an IPA wipedown, and reapply. This is very easy

After years of only using waxes or sealants, I decided to opti-coat our new toyota highlander. The car is black and sits outside in the southern heat and sun constantly, so I couldn`t keep any wax on the car longer than a couple of weeks. Unfortunately despite keeping it waxed regularly with some standby products (collinite, FK, etc), the hood already has many spots where bird bombs and other things had etched through the paint. So I got some Gloss Coat, here is my experience.

I washed, clayed, lightly polished, re-washed with dawn dish soap mix, and dried with IPA. I applied the gloss coat at night in a poorly lit garage despite the warnings otherwise. I did the entire car going up and down, then side to side, covering all body panels, the roof, and headlights. While applying, I rarely had to wipe down with a microfiber and the product flashed quickly despite very high humidity.

When I was done I looked at the bottle and had only use 2ml out of the 10ml! For anyone wondering, 10ml is PLENTY of product. So of course I figured I had put it on too light, which lead to researching whether I could top it with another coat and when I should do that. I didn`t find much on gloss coat but did find a few things opti coat. I decided just to throw another coat on, this was about an hour or two after I had finished the first coat. This time I used more product than the recommended 2-3 drops per panel, instead applying 2-3 drops for every section I did, which comes out to maybe 7-10 drops per panel. At the end of my entire heavier coat, which I also did up / down and left / right passes, I had used another 3ml. So I`ve put two full coats on and have used 5ml. I also used the pad that the product comes with, which supposedly uses more product compared to other options.

The next day I pulled the car out into the sun and there were some spots where the product had dried and puddled. This was my fault from not having enough light when applying. So I put some finishing polish on a soft machine pad and, by hand, very lightly buffed those spots. The product at that time has not fully cured so I buffed through the gloss coat and down to paint easily, did a quick IPA wipedown of the area, and reapplied gloss coat. That whole processed worked fine.

Also the day after initial application, I was driving around we got caught in a rainstorm without any adverse effects.

The surface upon initial application is extremely slick, comparable to having just applied a glaze and at least as slick as any of the many waxes I`ve tried. The gloss / shine is also great.

The car sat outside again for two weeks and the hood took on another beating. Rain spots were forming on the hood and looked like they might be etching through, but I gave the car a basic wash and found that the gloss coat was protecting the paint and the rain / dirt / bird spots were only on the surface. After the wash, I dried with duragloss aquawax without any issue.

Overall I`m very happy with the product and will be using it again. I will be topping the car with FK or Collinite to try and get all the protection I can.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I though most people get 2 coats out of the 10 ML? I got 2 coats out of the 10 ml but did not have enough to do the wheels and jambs.
    Could be. When I was researching it, I saw people complaining that you only get 10 ML now instead of the old product you got 15 ML. I did two full coats with only 5 ML on a SUV, so I just wanted to point out that 10 ml should be plenty. It all comes down to application.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually look for a good full coat and as such I am heavy handed. My feeling is for 60 bucks, I should get enough to do the whole car without worrying.

Optimum makes a great product and I just wish that they gave us a few more ML`s and scrapped the syringe for a bottle with a plug to limit the flow like the other guys.

Could be. When I was researching it, I saw people complaining that you only get 10 ML now instead of the old product you got 15 ML. I did two full coats with only 5 ML on a SUV, so I just wanted to point out that 10 ml should be plenty. It all comes down to application.

Post Thanks / Like

Mebbe a bad habit of mine (I got lots)

I always buy more than I need, so that way I don`t run out.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    Different story as in better or worse? Wasnt sure if you were referring to it having better (or worse) shine/protection or being easier (or harder) to apply.

Currently looking for a coating for our incoming Atomic Silver Lexus.....its not a dark nor light color, but it shows different shades depending on the light and angle you look at it. I really wanted something that would keep that effect, if not magnify it. I have OptiCoat Pro on my Malbec Black G37 and I think it looks good (it looks soaking wet whenever you look at it), but was worried that look would be too "sterile" on the Atomic Silver.
    Sorry for the confusion. CQUK takes much longer and is very finicky to apply compared to Gloss Coat. Both are on black cars and looks wise they both have great gloss/shine with the slight edge going to Gloss Coat. You won`t be disappointed with either, but Gloss Coat is way more user friendly.
    Likes LostHighway liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the confusion. CQUK takes much longer and is very finicky to apply compared to Gloss Coat. Both are on black cars and looks wise they both have great gloss/shine with the slight edge going to Gloss Coat. You won`t be disappointed with either, but Gloss Coat is way more user friendly.
    Interesting.

Thank you
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that 2cc on any vehicle is way too thin. This will not last.

Cliff notes:

Post Thanks / Like

How many vehicles have you coated with CQUK and GC respectively?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    I can tell you that 2cc on any vehicle is way too thin. This will not last.
    I thought Optimum`s instructions indicate "A few drops per panel" ?

A 4-Door Car would be 11-15 panels

20 drops per milliliter

15 x 3 = 45 drops per car

You should be able to get 4 cars out of a 10ml bottle of Optimum Gloss Coat
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Dislikes Thomas Dekany disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I thought Optimum`s instructions indicate "A few drops per panel" ?

A 4-Door Car would be 11-15 panels

20 drops per milliliter

15 x 3 = 45 drops per car

You should be able to get 4 cars out of a 10ml bottle of Optimum Gloss Coat
    You were close.... minus a few drops. Thomas is correct here.
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

About 9cc of Gloss Coat on this car.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will be topping the car with FK or Collinite to try and get all the protection I can.
    Complete waste, you will not get the benefit of Gloss Coat having a wax on top. You should have applied a thicker layer. It`s like saying that you will put on a t shirt on top of a bullet proof vest to prevent getting injured.
    Likes ShaneB, Oldfordisbetter liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information