Post Thanks / Like

This Mitt at AutoZone

So, I thought I found a good mitt at AutoZone the other day. The MF "dreads" look and feel exactly like the lime green mitt I`ve bought a few times from The Rag Co.

In fact, the dreads are the same (got all nerdy with a loupe). But that`s where the similarities end. After taking the mitt out of the packaging, I could tell the construction was lousy. I got my Rag Co mitt to compare. The AutoZone mitt is missing internal foam padding, which is a big safety factor when using these mitts. As you can tell in the following photo, the AutoZone mitt lays flatter and is just less "altogether" than the Rag Co mitt. The AutoZone is very floppy. Further, look at the stray thread coming out of the mitt.

Further, the Rag Co costs a few cents less. This isn`t an endorsement of the Rag Co mitt so much as advice to avoid the AutoZone one.
    Likes wdmaccord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This Mitt at AutoZone

I need to relook at my AZ mitt I purchased a while back. It seemed to have a good liner.

For mitts, the cuff is another area that can make a difference. The ones on the AZ and also on the AG mitts is not as durable (stretches, stitching not as durable) as the one used on the PB`s wash mitt.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I need to relook at my AZ mitt I purchased a while back. It seemed to have a good liner.

For mitts, the cuff is another area that can make a difference. The ones on the AZ and also on the AG mitts is not as durable (stretches, stitching not as durable) as the one used on the PB`s wash mitt.
    The two I referred to have different cuffs too. Odd, as I would think on a sheer economy of scale perspective, that all these things would be the same. Obviously these places in China are getting the MF from the same place for making these mitts. It just seems strange there would be more than one assembly house. But, China is a big place. I`m just glad there`s places like PB, Rag Co, DI, and PBMG that have the knowledge to source the good stuff.

speaking of cuffs, I might try them there cuff-less ones next order.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you didn`t mention, although it has been my experience and I believe I can see a difference in your picture, is that although the individual "chenilles"(?) may be the same, the density (number) of them on the right seems higher, as I can see the mitt part on your AZ mitt, but not on the TRC. Or is that my imagination?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post & pics. I by no means am trying to give you grief here....I`m just curious. I always wonder why people buy this Autozone / Pep Boys stuff who know better???

I`m genuinely curious. I have a noodle mitt from AG and it`s pretty much flawless. I can`t recall what it cost - but I`m thinking it was like $12. My feeling always is, most detailing supplies are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I always wonder why people won`t just get what they know is top notch when it`s a few bucks more...Why risk it ??? Are they trying to save money? Impulse purchase just cause you wanted to compare? 99¢ close out item? Planning on using it for wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I always wonder why people won`t just get what they know is top notch when it`s a few bucks more...Why risk it ??? Are they trying to save money? Impulse purchase just cause you wanted to compare? 99¢ close out item? Planning on using it for wheels?
    Honestly, and I guess I`m speaking for myself, part of it is the fear of getting "fleeced"; buying something for way more than what it should cost, you know, like buying an HDMI cable at Best Buy for $30 when you can get it at MonoPrice for $4 with $2 shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    One thing you didn`t mention, although it has been my experience and I believe I can see a difference in your picture, is that although the individual "chenilles"(?) may be the same, the density (number) of them on the right seems higher, as I can see the mitt part on your AZ mitt, but not on the TRC. Or is that my imagination?
    The density is about the same in the middle, but it seems the Rag Co one extends another row into the seam area. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Nice post & pics. I by no means am trying to give you grief here....I`m just curious. I always wonder why people buy this Autozone / Pep Boys stuff who know better???

I`m genuinely curious. I have a noodle mitt from AG and it`s pretty much flawless. I can`t recall what it cost - but I`m thinking it was like $12. My feeling always is, most detailing supplies are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I always wonder why people won`t just get what they know is top notch when it`s a few bucks more...Why risk it ??? Are they trying to save money? Impulse purchase just cause you wanted to compare? 99¢ close out item? Planning on using it for wheels?
    Simpler than all that. The AZ mitt is squashed into its packaging. I couldn`t tell anything about the liner, nor how floppy it is. I just thought I found a local source for a mitt I like, based on the MF noodles. But not so. It was $5.99.

Thread Information