Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning tires to remove browning and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Here is that MSDS I could not locate.

Google work better at home?

http://www.cor.cleaneasier.com/php/M...aser%20505.pdf
    That puts the Zep bumping right up against the pH point (alkaline, in the general neighborhood of bleach and close to oven cleaner) where not only sealants but many coatings will fail. If anyone chooses to use it with the wheels on the car I`d be extremely carefully to not get it on LSP treated surfaces and if you do to either remove it very promptly or plan on reapplying the LSP. Personally, I`d much prefer to use something less nasty even if it costs more.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s the point I was making earlier. I also find,it very misleading that all the msds sheets are different and the names the same. Not sure what`s up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
    That puts the Zep bumping right up against the pH point (alkaline, in the general neighborhood of bleach and close to oven cleaner) where not only sealants but many coatings will fail. If anyone chooses to use it with the wheels on the car I`d be extremely carefully to not get it on LSP treated surfaces and if you do to either remove it very promptly or plan on reapplying the LSP. Personally, I`d much prefer to use something less nasty even if it costs more.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s the point I was making earlier. I also find,it very misleading that all the msds sheets are different and the names the same. Not sure what`s up with that?
    They all seemed to have different dates, could be it was changed, and with the internet, some could have been for different markets.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very dangerous to have different formulas labeled with the same name. If you expect you have formula 1 and it safe but it is actually formula 3 which is corrosive to run the risk of get hurt yourself or damaging a vehicle. Make no sense to me at all. If the formula changed that significantly over time we change the name to avoid the wrong health and safety info from being accessed.

Look at the chronic effects section and imagine your a pro detailer using this day in and day out. It`s a wake up call to read the msds sheets for the products you use regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They all seemed to have different dates, could be it was changed, and with the internet, some could have been for different markets.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the information that you guys have obtained on the ZEP 505. Its really making me take a second look to decide If I want to continue using it at all. I do however really wonder if what I have is the #1 formulation being that I have never had any issues with any kinds of damage on any of the various wheels that this product has gotten on. I think that I will send ZEP an email and see if they can give me the current "true" formulation and explain the existence of multiple MSDS sheets.

I think that I will stick to my Tuff Shine cleaner in the meantime. It seems to work better than any of the APC`s that I have tried and just as well as the ZEP. The ZEP is much cheaper but until we get to the bottom of its formulation saving a few bucks may not be worth the risk. If and when I get a reply from ZEP on the current formulation I will post the info.

I would still hope in the meantime that we could also still get some formulation info on the TUFF Shine the Bleach White and the Mothers so that we could make some comparisons and to see if there are any dangerous "red flags" that we should be aware of with these products.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Sodium Metasilate(sp?) remove anti-ozonants from the tire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Mark View Post
    Will Sodium Metasilate(sp?) remove anti-ozonants from the tire?
    That`s a great question, particularly at 4:30AM. Nick at AG has touched on this, but hasn`t mentioned specific products or ingredients (and likely won`t). We need someone like Dr. G to answer this. Maybe I will post a question in the Optimum forum (here), although getting responses from OPT, even on their own forum, is a pretty remote possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me see what I can do about getting an answer.

That`s a great question, particularly at 4:30AM. Nick at AG has touched on this, but hasn`t mentioned specific products or ingredients (and likely won`t). We need someone like Dr. G to answer this. Maybe I will post a question in the Optimum forum (here), although getting responses from OPT, even on their own forum, is a pretty remote possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s nothing, I`ve been up since 3:00AM.

Let me see what I can do about getting an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Mark View Post
    That`s nothing, I`ve been up since 3:00AM.
    Tell me if I`m prying, but why is that? Do you have trouble sleeping? Do you work some weird shift? One of those people who only needs 2 hrs sleep a night? New baby?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have trouble sleeping? D
    Exactly. I sleep 4-6 hours a night.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information