Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning tires to remove browning and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Zep 505 for me.

Works better than OPC and much cheaper.
    You are spot on with that reply. I can clean a tire with OPC and go back over it with ZEP 505 and get all kinds of gunk off. IMO the 505 is the next best tire cleaner next to Tuff Shine and its about 1/3 the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Should clean well. This is some nasty stuff. Can`t compare it to tuff shine Bc I can`t locate a msds. But the zep is basically commercial floor stripper. The first ingredient is the main ingredient in the hotter old school floor finish strippers.

Make sure you rinse anything you clean well. It`s a type of corrosive salt and that is nasty stuff. If you were to transport 1000 lbs of 505 you need a cdl license and be required to flip hazmat placards.

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    You are spot on with that reply. I can clean a tire with OPC and go back over it with ZEP 505 and get all kinds of gunk off. IMO the 505 is the next best tire cleaner next to Tuff Shine and its about 1/3 the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Another fan of Mothers. I prefer the Back to B;lack Tire Cleaner.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Should clean well. This is some nasty stuff. Can`t compare it to tuff shine Bc I can`t locate a msds. But the zep is basically commercial floor stripper. The first ingredient is the main ingredient in the hotter old school floor finish strippers.

Make sure you rinse anything you clean well. It`s a type of corrosive salt and that is nasty stuff. If you were to transport 1000 lbs of 505 you need a cdl license and be required to flip hazmat placards.
    Thats a good thing to know. I am sure it is pretty potent stuff, but Iwould be surprised if it was any worse than Bleach White or some of the acid wheel and tire cleaners out there. I have not had any issues with it damaging anything. I always make sure to spray it on a wet surface and never directly on the wheels. Even so, there is always some that inadvertently gets on the wheels but I have never had it damage any wheels in any way. It would be interesting to be able to compare the ingredients of the ZEP against the Tuff Shine and the Bleach White. There are some very prominent detailers out there using the ZEP on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like

This kind of came up in the thread of mine I linked before, and note what Swanic said in his post, as well as a recent thread about tire cleaners on AGO.

My question is whether what comes off when you "go back over it with Zep 505" is really coming off of the tire, as opposed to OUT of the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    This kind of came up in the thread of mine I linked before, and note what Swanic said in his post, as well as a recent thread about tire cleaners on AGO.

My question is whether what comes off when you "go back over it with Zep 505" is really coming off of the tire, as opposed to OUT of the tire.
    I guess that could be the case but what I am seeing is a brown film that is left behind that I can actually scratch or rub off. The ZEP seems to completely remove that brown film. It would seem to me that this "film" would impede a good bond for the tire dressing. I could be wrong- just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that could be the case but what I am seeing is a brown film that is left behind that I can actually scratch or rub off. The ZEP seems to completely remove that brown film. It would seem to me that this "film" would impede a good bond for the tire dressing. I could be wrong- just my opinion.
    Certainly that film would interfere with your dressing (or could, I have some new winter tires that didn`t want to lose the brown {actually before I switched to OPC for a cleaner} and they seemed to take/hold the dressing fine).

I guess I`m not understanding what you`re saying--first you said " I can clean a tire with OPC and go back over it with ZEP 505 and get all kinds of gunk off." which sounds like the tire looked clean, but then you got more brown suds with the 505. Now you`re saying "what I am seeing is a brown film that is left behind that I can actually scratch or rub off. The ZEP seems to completely remove that brown film."

If OPC left a brown film that the Zep removed, then obviously this is a good solution. If the tire looked clean, but a different chemical then pulled brown gunk from the tire, then I`m suggesting there is something chemically going on that might not be good for the tire.

Swanic posted about 5 qts. of oil being in a tire, I don`t know about that, but there are certainly anti-ozonants added to the rubber compound, and I`m sure there are other additives in the rubber compound, and at least some of them are designed to migrate through the rubber to perform certain functions (and result in such things as "blooming"). Again, we`re talking about chemical additives, and cleaning chemicals, and if through some interaction between the two, the intended migration of additives is slowed or accelerated or changed etc., that may not be in the best interests of the tire.

I`m with JSFM35X, I looked at the MSDS for that 505 a long time ago and decided I would skip it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to clean with Adam`s APC which I have found to be as effective as Tuf Shine

and then coat with the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine Tire Coating

From there it lasts 2-3 months and really only needs water to be cleaned.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Bleche wite works very well. And its really cheap too. It works better than any APC ive tried to clean tires with. I also have a bottle of tuff shine tire cleaner coming that I have high hopes for considering what I read from everyone else.

Are you looking for something just to clean them during a maintenance wash or something to get them spotlessly clean?
    I agree. It works very well. Cleans better than APC.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Rogue View Post
    I use Meguiars Non-acid wheel and tire cleaner.
    This is also good. I have had good results even diluted 3:1 on tires that are maintained very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    I like to clean with Adam`s APC which I have found to be as effective as Tiuf Shine and then coat with the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine Tire Coating

From there it lasts 2-3 months and really only needs water to be cleaned.
    I was not a fan of Adams as a tire cleaner. Never really worked that well for me.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I was not a fan of Adams as a tire cleaner. Never really worked that well for me.
    Interesting. When I used it, Tuf Shine didn`t pull off anything more after cleaning with Adam`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly that film would interfere with your dressing (or could, I have some new winter tires that didn`t want to lose the brown {actually before I switched to OPC for a cleaner} and they seemed to take/hold the dressing fine).

I guess I`m not understanding what you`re saying--first you said " I can clean a tire with OPC and go back over it with ZEP 505 and get all kinds of gunk off." which sounds like the tire looked clean, but then you got more brown suds with the 505. Now you`re saying "what I am seeing is a brown film that is left behind that I can actually scratch or rub off. The ZEP seems to completely remove that brown film."

If OPC left a brown film that the Zep removed, then obviously this is a good solution. If the tire looked clean, but a different chemical then pulled brown gunk from the tire, then I`m suggesting there is something chemically going on that might not be good for the tire.

Swanic posted about 5 qts. of oil being in a tire, I don`t know about that, but there are certainly anti-ozonants added to the rubber compound, and I`m sure there are other additives in the rubber compound, and at least some of them are designed to migrate through the rubber to perform certain functions (and result in such things as "blooming"). Again, we`re talking about chemical additives, and cleaning chemicals, and if through some interaction between the two, the intended migration of additives is slowed or accelerated or changed etc., that may not be in the best interests of the tire.

I`m with JSFM35X, I looked at the MSDS for that 505 a long time ago and decided I would skip it.
    I am sorry I guess my statement may have been was a little confusing. The extra "gunk" that I was referring to was the browning on the tire. I am sure the OPC had cleaned all the surface dirt and contaminents off but the tire still didn`t look clean and really black. I could not seem to remove this brown film even with multiple cleanings with OPC. The suds that I was getting with the OPC were showing white as if the tire was completely clean. I could immediately follow with the 505 and the suds were a dingy brown indicating that it was removing that nasty film. I still would like to know if the ingredients in the 505 are any more "nasty or dangerous" than the other dedicated tire and wheel cleaners on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Rogue View Post
    I use Meguiars Non-acid wheel and tire cleaner.
    I think I use the same thing: Megs All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It takes very little, comes out in a foam that sticks to the wheel and tire and all I have to use to scrub the tire/wheel with is an old wash mitt, no brushes needed ... unless perhaps the tire is also really muddy/covered in dirt. It leaves the tires so clean that most of the time I don`t even dress them, they look that good bare.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I think I need to apologize here-I just goggled the MSDS sheet to answer this question and I either looked at the wrong zep produst or clicked on the wrong link or perhaps a different MSDS came up.

Looks like the Sodium Metacilicate is NOT part of the formulation.

I need to see why it came up on my home computer search tonight?

So far I found 3 different formulas, each with its own MSDS. Looks like formula revisions.

Fast 505 Cleaner & Degreaser - Details

http://images.zepcommercial.com/engl...MSDS-ZU505.pdf

http://www.mycleanlikeapro.com/files...S-ZUCSPP32.pdf

I am sorry I guess my statement may have been was a little confusing. The extra "gunk" that I was referring to was the browning on the tire. I am sure the OPC had cleaned all the surface dirt and contaminents off but the tire still didn`t look clean and really black. I could not seem to remove this brown film even with multiple cleanings with OPC. The suds that I was getting with the OPC were showing white as if the tire was completely clean. I could immediately follow with the 505 and the suds were a dingy brown indicating that it was removing that nasty film. I still would like to know if the ingredients in the 505 are any more "nasty or dangerous" than the other dedicated tire and wheel cleaners on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Hey guys, I think I need to apologize here-I just goggled the MSDS sheet to answer this question and I either looked at the wrong zep produst or clicked on the wrong link or perhaps a different MSDS came up.

Looks like the Sodium Metacilicate is NOT part of the formulation.

I need to see why it came up onmy home computer search tonight?

So far I found 3 different formulas, each with its own MSDS. Looks like formula revisions.

Fast 505 Cleaner & Degreaser - Details

http://images.zepcommercial.com/engl...MSDS-ZU505.pdf

http://www.mycleanlikeapro.com/files...S-ZUCSPP32.pdf
    If you look at this page: Fast 505 Cleaner & Degreaser - Details the MSDS linked there shows only sodium dodecylbenzenesolfonate , but the "back label" ingredients include Alkybenzene Sulfonic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Dippropylene Glycol Propyl Ether, Dipropylene Glycol Propyl Ether, Dipropylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Butoxydiglycol, Sodium Metasilicate, Benzene, Butoxyethanol. Certainly plenty of floor stripper ingredients, but as you noted it`s unclear what the current formula is.

I have seen sodium metasilicate used in other tire cleaners, I don`t associate that with floor strippers the way I do with the glycol ethers and butyl compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Butyl is old school

Sodium Metacilicate is stronger strippers

The Glycol are more modern day products.

If you look at this page: Fast 505 Cleaner & Degreaser - Details the MSDS linked there shows only sodium dodecylbenzenesolfonate , but the "back label" ingredients include Alkybenzene Sulfonic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Dippropylene Glycol Propyl Ether, Dipropylene Glycol Propyl Ether, Dipropylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Butoxydiglycol, Sodium Metasilicate, Benzene, Butoxyethanol. Certainly plenty of floor stripper ingredients, but as you noted it`s unclear what the current formula is.

I have seen sodium metasilicate used in other tire cleaners, I don`t associate that with floor strippers the way I do with the glycol ethers and butyl compounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information