Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite questions and official answer

davidc- Yeah, I too like the "old-school, solventy" smell of the stuff. That one week interval is probably good, less chance of pseudo-holograms from solvent action.

Post Thanks / Like

The official response from Collinite on comparison of 845 to 925 and 476 to 885
    RPPM you were correct, mostly that is

David,

Thanks for the email. Often times now, we get inquiries and its solely to paste them back into forums to settle disputes among enthusiasts. For that reason, I cannot go into great detail via email.

Our products are proprietary blends and the most similar are 925 and 845, 476s and 885. Due to the regulations of both the marine and auto industry, there are only very slight differences among these products. The intended purposes, use and durability are virtually the same.

So I have a RV, not a boat. I imagine the boat waxes have environmental controls for dead fish, pollution of the water etc. Everything I own stays on land so it sounds like I should be using the automotive line. The one thing worth noting is the 476 is 9oz. and the 885 is 12oz and I paid the same price for both. Hope this helps with anyone that questions the auto to marine differences.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    davidc- Yeah, I too like the "old-school, solventy" smell of the stuff. That one week interval is probably good, less chance of pseudo-holograms from solvent action.
    Hmmmm. A few years ago when I got into 915, I had holograms once and emailed Collinite. They suggested Up to a one-day wait between the coats, and to use the straight-line method, and remove it once it hazes up. Never a hologram since, pseudo or real.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Noting that I`ve never ued 915...and that I only say "pseudo-hologram" because to me a genuine hologram is something rotary-induced... Yeah, the day-long wait oughta do it.

Actually, as best I can recall I`ve never had any pseudo-holograms with Collinite except for when I used a QD on it before it cured fully. Not nearly the potential for disaster as with, say.. FK1000P.

A while back there was something on the internet about how a guy tried *unsuccessfully* to layer 915. Like, he had the ability to measure the build-film and he said it wouldn`t layer. Heh heh, I know it`s stirring the pot to even mention that and I myself thought there were a lot of reasons why his findings might not be universally applicable. Just mentioned is since we`re discussing repeated applications of 915. I`ve proven to myself, objectively and conclusively, that I can layer both 845 and 476S, sure wouldn`t be surprised if 915 layers just fine (as long as you do it right).

The guys at Collinite are great, huh? Always helpful, never defensive like "our perfect product couldn`t do that, you`re nuts" the way some other manufacturers can be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information